When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cheap Watch Tools - International Watchman

Too cheap to be good.

I second OffShore's warning.

Only a genuine Bergeon dies will not scratch your Rolex case back.

I scratched one badly with a cheap dies and then went for a good quality one...experience, experience !!!

Thanks guys...good to know.

I was a bit leary of the Rolex caseback openers...but was wondering if they would be alright on the rep cases...now I know. I certainly would not use it on my gens...in fact I won't work on my gens at all for that matter.

Do you know if the ones sold by Trusty are any better, or is this a situation of buy Bergeon, or don't bother buying at all???

Do you think the arm pullers and the hand setters would be alright though? They looked really similar to the ones I've seen used in other tutorials...in fact, I think in a couple, they were the anchor brand ones.

I tried to order some croco straps from them, but outside of the US, you have to send a cheque (check)...and they ship by EMS, which means that even though they have an address in OH if I remember right, it looks like they are still drop shipping from China.

I have seen their straps (EXACT presentation layout) at Freda Watches for 2x the price!!

Thanks for any info!!

For the hands, I have no idea....I'm far from being able to do this.

As for the dies, there is a huge difference in quality between the "cheap" and Bergeon (I have both here).

I would say Bergeon or nothing for dies. I mean it's not the brand which is perfect but the dies.

The Bergeon screwdriver blades for example are not good enough in my opinion.

My father's business as been tools for 40 years.

He always told me to invest in a perfect tool right away as it would last several generation while cheap tools will have been replaced several times.

Look here : http://www.watch-tool.de/shop.php

Click on Case opener. They sell the dies only for 19,99

Let us know how they look when you get them. Always looking for a deal.

I ordered a few straps a few days ago.

Just have to call Ron and give him your Credit card info. I ordered a Ivory Croc and a Grey Stingray, Pam style in 24mm Xlong.

Looking forward to getting the package in the mail.

:)

For the hands, I have no idea....I'm far from being able to do this.

As for the dies, there is a huge difference in quality between the "cheap" and Bergeon (I have both here).

I would say Bergeon or nothing for dies. I mean it's not the brand which is perfect but the dies.

The Bergeon screwdriver blades for example are not good enough in my opinion.

My father's business as been tools for 40 years.

He always told me to invest in a perfect tool right away as it would last several generation while cheap tools will have been replaced several times.

Look here : http://www.watch-tool.de/shop.php

Click on Case opener. They sell the dies only for 19,99

Hope everybody doesn't mind another opinion on this subject. I fell for the false economy of buying cheap tools the first time. As others have already said, do yourself a favor and buy good stuff the first time-cheap watch tools really, really suck. Buy stuff a little at a time if you have to, but don't get suckered in to buying crappy tools. I have now replaced all of the junk I bought the first time and could have bought more nice tools had I not wasted the money on the cheap crap.

Really interesting ... but this die ''Special die for RLX 29.5mm.

Price: EUR 19.99/Pcs. incl. VAT plus Shipping''

which rlx case does it fit ? ? ? SSD?

The 29.5 will fit men's sized casebacks. Probably the only one you'll ever need unless you work on mid-sized or womens watches.

Let us know how they look when you get them. Always looking for a deal.

I tried to order a croc to Canada, but apparently, we're still bound by regulations for import and need a permit. I could do an illegal order I'm sure, but not with the tools.

My Di Modell Imperator fake croc in light brown arrived though...and I have to admit, that strap is beautiful, and I'm actually saying no to the gen croc strap. These Di Modell straps are amazing. The grain is large which I like, and matches the gen strap, but the feel of the strap is actually much more substantial than the OEM IWC gen croc strap, which in my mind is a good thing for a sporty watch "going casual".

I will follow Stephane and the other "watch master's" advice, and ordered the tools including the Rolex caseback set...but I will order the OEM Bergeon 29.5mm die.

I tried to order some croco straps from them, but outside of the US, you have to send a cheque (check)...and they ship by EMS, which means that even though they have an address in OH if I remember right, it looks like they are still drop shipping from China.

Hmm?

That's probally why it's taking so long.

It's been a week now, still no package. Ohio to Michigan should be really fast.

:(

• 1 month later...
Indeed: SSD, Submariner, Explorer II, 1665, 1680 ....

I just picked up a genuine chuck from H.W. Perrin in Toronto for just over $20 CDN.

The other tools seem alright...dripping in machine oil which had to be cleaned off, but overall, very functional for the amount of times I'll be using them. The precision of the Jaxa tool was not huge with a fairly loose handle, but the bits themselves were alright, with minimal roughness on the edges.

The screwdrivers were pretty sharp and look alright to me.

They screwed up my order and didn't send the Rolex caseback tool...so that's coming (after having to pay for shipping again...stupid)...but, I have my gen Bergeon chuck and have jerry rigged arms using a piece of 5/8" wooden dowel and some threaded rod. It's the chuck precision that really matters.