When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Second opinions on this ladies Breitling needed

P4GTR

I would like to pick this up for the girlfriends birthday.

http://www.pc-80108.com/bl01001-ladies-win...tic-p-1801.html

will this movement be serviceable locally when needed? Anyone have any experience with this? ETA movement swap possible?

pro's, con's, any comments welcome and appreciated.

Just not enough info for me to be totally comfortable. I prefer ETA in my reps. I want something solid for her first rep, and she really likes this (as do I).

P4GTR, you know I'm not an expert in movements, etc. but since you ask for advice here is mine.

Visually, decent watch. Because of its blue dial (the colour of an angry sea), I think it will look unusual on any woman.

1.jpg

It's got that masculine Breitling feel to it, but not overwhelmingly so -- look at the more dainty onion bulb crown. One can imagine easily Amelia Earhart wearing this. Or myself!

And I congratulate you for not choosing the more obvious:

1.jpg

Which, to my mind, has little pizzazz and seems more of a homunculus of a watch. -_-

The movement is listed as a generic Asian Automatic. I'm guessing the usual A21j. Overall, it's a great watch, but why swap out a movement on a $100 watch with a pricey ETA, if it's that disposable?

Something just doesn't sit right with me about this rep - maybe it's just me, but the datefont, logo, bezel etc look really wrong. If I was buying a rep for my lady I'd be looking at the Tag Link Ladies... in fact I might pick one up. I'd want my girl to be under zero risk of anyone finding her watch suspect.

Something just doesn't sit right with me about this rep - maybe it's just me, but the datefont, logo, bezel etc look really wrong. If I was buying a rep for my lady I'd be looking at the Tag Link Ladies... in fact I might pick one up. I'd want my girl to be under zero risk of anyone finding her watch suspect.

yah, I'll have to agree. The breitling is out the window. I've looked for the ladies tag rep by-tor reviewed, but cannot find it. Narikaa has a few but the stems have changed, they stick out too far. Narikaa states they are now screw down crowns (i'd rather they just looked accurate) also the numerals on the bezel touch together. These aspects look much cleaner on by-tor's version.

Just when I think i'm close to finding something to finally buy her, I wind up back at the drawing board.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a decent ladies Breitling. Bezel looks weak on this one, pearl is awful, and the watch just looks cheap. Also, is your lady the type that will have the patience for an automatic movement? Some people, my wife included, are just more suited to quartz watches.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a decent ladies Breitling. Bezel looks weak on this one, pearl is awful, and the watch just looks cheap. Also, is your lady the type that will have the patience for an automatic movement? Some people, my wife included, are just more suited to quartz watches.

Good point. She appreciates that I appreciate them, thats as far as it go's. She originally wanted a 40mm pam with a see through back though, but there are none. Quartz is fine.

I'd go gor the link if she likes (or you assume she likes) the genre. You excluded Rolex, which is in my opinion one of the best choices to satisfy girls (some are very accurate, and I bought a DJ for my wife). If she likes quartz try to look at some Patek catalog.

Good luck for your search :D

I'd go gor the link if she likes (or you assume she likes) the genre. You excluded Rolex, which is in my opinion one of the best choices to satisfy girls (some are very accurate, and I bought a DJ for my wife). If she likes quartz try to look at some Patek catalog.

Good luck for your search :D

I did edit that. She would consider a rolex but we would like to be careful and select something that melds well with our lifestyles. Cant wear a ferarri on your wrist and drive a chevy, you know?

I will go on record as saying that if any person catches her out wearing the blue Breitling shown above, I'll eat my hat.

Guys, you are thinking like guys, and moreover, like guys who know about rep watches.

With all due respect, that's just not the way women think about or approach watches. I just about died laughing hearing the pickiness about datefonts. Yeah, she'll be TOTALLY embarrassed by a woman in the salon when her datewheel is revealed as a rep. Watch out! :lol:

FWIW, though apparently PG4TR is not interested in this model anymore, the white looks absolutely cheap and manky. But the blue is just fine.

If you're REALLY concerned about having someone spot a rep, for pity's sake, DO NOT BUY HER A ROLEX OR TAG. Whenever I see a lady wearing a Tag Link, I automatically think, fake.

Ok Vic, you help then. her favorite watch of mine is my pam. Now that the tag and breitlings are dead ends, we are looking at 40mm pam's.

So, now im taking suggestions on 40mm pams. I will only deal with Josh, please. Suggestions are very welcome!

Womens reps are lousy....why?...

Women don't want them....my wife likes my Breits,but says they are to 'masculine' of a brand for any to be of interest to her....

Chanel and stuff like that is what catches there eye..... :rolleyes:

Her PP24 is her fave. though......nice ladies watch.... ^_^

I'm just going to go ahead and jump in here. :) I'm P4GTR's girlfriend. Hiiiii :) I am proudly the girlfriend he previously posted about a few months ago regarding how I cannot understand this watch obsession....I am now eating my words as I find myself asking more & more questions.

I'm making a new thread that isn't in the Breitling forum.

Located here.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=69564

Edited by Joann

hehe,my wife is opposite,no reps bags allowed,5 gens...watches,don't care as long as there 'stylish' in girly terms.... :rolleyes:

Breitling is my fave. brand by far,have owned loads of reps and currently have a diamond bezel on the way for my gen Super Avenger,but as much as i like them,they are indeed a men's brand,i agree with her.....

But to each his (or her) own..... :)

I'm just going to go ahead and jump in here. :) I'm P4GTR's girlfriend. Hiiiii :) I am proudly the girlfriend he previously posted about a few months ago regarding how I cannot understand this watch obsession....I am now eating my words as I find myself asking more & more questions.

My avitar pic just took a turn towards sort've strange, now that you're a member and all. lol :lol:

I'm making a new thread that isn't in the Breitling forum.

Hey Joann! Welcome to the forum, and glad you piped up. Sometimes I find it very lonely here, with only Rima (Rek001) as the co-female in the forum.

Hope you can stay a while, and maybe, once you've bought your rep -- post it (them) in the Wristchecks! :)

My avitar pic just took a turn towards sort've strange, now that you're a member and all. lol :lol:

LOL...I have no shame, you have no shame...I think we're good. I posted a new thread...in the General Discussion forum.

Hey Joann! Welcome to the forum, and glad you piped up. Sometimes I find it very lonely here, with only Rima (Rek001) as the co-female in the forum.

Hope you can stay a while, and maybe, once you've bought your rep -- post it (them) in the Wristchecks! :)

Hi there :) Trust me, once I get my rep I'll be posting in the Wristchecks with no problem. I just looove photography & love photographing myself & my stuff even more haha!!

I'm excited to join Rima & yourself as the resident females on the boards.

See you around :)

Vic, we will definately appreciate you helping her narrow things down a bit. Im a bit out of my element with the Pam's per se, it was hard enough picking my own out.

thanks for the help everyone. :D I'm a little bummed about the breitling, suffice to say we got the "thumbs down" advice by others as well (as far as longetivity, etc.) so its a no-go for now.

Vic, we will definately appreciate you helping her narrow things down a bit. Im a bit out of my element with the Pam's per se, it was hard enough picking my own out.

P4GTR, you know how I'm all over the PAM and ladies' watches threads, but in this case, with 40mm PAMs I am a fish out of water. :( I wouldn't know where to begin, as I never ever considered a 40mm PAM rep, even when I was a newbie.

Joann, take a look at my Wristchecks for the 44mm. I have a 5.7" wrist. 44mms don't look bad, trust me. I'm guessing you're busty but slight (like me). *g*

This is the famous Simona (strapmaker) wearing her 049, which is also a 44mm. NOT BAD. It doesn't overwhelm her wrist at all. Light-coloured straps also help.

Skyingwithpam49-1.jpg

What do you say?

If you go with 40mm, I just wouldn't feel right in giving you info. :huh:

However, you gots to go with what you feel is right, so enjoy! :)

I did edit that. She would consider a rolex but we would like to be careful and select something that melds well with our lifestyles. Cant wear a ferarri on your wrist and drive a chevy, you know?

Sure you can...if you've got the chutzpah to back it up!! It's all about attitude and other elements of the package, and not necessarily a single low-end "tell" I think.