When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats a reasonably sized rep collection?

DemonSlayer

I think Kruzer summed up the stages of our hobby well...

when i first found RWG1 and eddie lee, i went nuts and bought 30-40 swiss reps, it was like a kid being in a candy store...i figured since i was buying swiss eta movement watches, i was buying the best of the best but we all learn that all watches have their flaws...and the flaws that didn't bother you when you first started to collect definitely bother you as you become more educated. so you start to sell/trade your reps holding onto the ones you like most.

then you become inspired by looking at your fellow members and their project watches and you look to start modding them...our membership has WONDERFUL members who offer their talents, insight, skills, and love to offer things as part projects, AR services, relumes and services...so you start to mod your favorite watches and your collection gets smaller but better. for me, this is when i started to notice that i never wore more than a handful of reps even though i had several outstanding reps, so you go through another stage of selling off more reps.

i'm now at a stage where i'm going the genuine route for now. i have my 2 tone submariner with blue face, SS cartier santos, breitling skyland on pro bracelet, PAM 024i submersible, and a PAM 212j on its way to me this week. thinking about grabbing a base PAM or a 88 GMT, i'm really feeling panerai right now.

i think i'll have another final sale of my modded reps soon, and keep a handful of my modded reps that i truly love:

reps i'll keep for sure

PAM 196, old case, swiss 7753 movement, superlume by The Zigmeister, gen crown via kruzer, single chieftang AR, lello datewheel on oem black gator

Breitling Evolution, swiss 7750 swap, eta datewheel, superlume by The Zigmeister, lello datewheel

Breitling swiss SFSO, superlume by The Zigmeister on oem black rubber

IWC 3717, swiss 7750 swap, eta datewheel, superlume by The Zigmeister, double ar from chieftang

Hublot Big Bang ceramic, The Zigmeister superlume and service

Omega PO, swiss movement, superlume by The Zigmeister, double ar via chieftang

Cartier Santos 100 SS swiss 7753 movement, HKTan strap(once i get it back from angus)

last project watch, my PAM 027A-2892 power reserve, tritium superlume, gen crown from kruzer, lello datewheel, chieftang new cyclops

I think part of my attitude change is the lack of new models coming out, i remember when i first found RWG1, there was always a new and exciting rep every week...now they trickle out. I do know that they are definitely getting better in terms of quality. 6 months from now, i may right back in the saddle, but as several members have noted, we DEFINITELY go through the stages

:victory:

I'm surprised at how consistent some of the collecting patterns have been over time. I bought everything for about a year, and used that to get a feel for what I really liked. Ironically, I ended up liking what I thought I would like the least at the onset and for most of my crazy phase, which is Rolex. I don't like modern Rolex, and I only like a few particular vintage models, but if you'd told me I would settle on a couple of Rolex's that are some of the more commonly appearing replicas, I wouldn't have believed it.

Right now I have four watches in my collection. Two franken Rolex's, a 1680 and 1665, and a MBK AP ROO and HBB w/ceramic bezel. I'm in the process of getting the ROO back, but that will be going shortly thereafter. I love the Genta style watches, and the HBB with the polished ceramic bezel is the apex of the rep hobby to this point, IMO, in terms of technical development out of China.

But one thing I always like to bring up in these conversations is a simple mathemetical scenario that impacts all of us in a major way..the financial implications of our hobby. Follow me for a moment...

We were speculating that a significant percentage of people who either view or participate in this site have a collection of 20 replica watches. Let's say that the average price of those reps is $300. I could see an argument being made that it would be less- but we are in '08 now, and the days of reps being less than that being a part of current collections is a declining proposition.

That gives us a figure of $6000 US.

Reps depreciate at a rate of approximately 25% per year and follow a commodity based depreciation rate.

If we assume that most of us are lazy enough to only end up selling half of our watches over the next two years, and we also assume that we won't buy another rep (unlikely), then it will have only cost us a few thousand bucks to have a killer collection with more inherent value than their market price here may suggest, like the SFSO for example.

But the point remains that there's a cost of having access to these little jewels.

I understand that we have 'collectors' of watches here, and all collectors of anything, be it watches, china pottery or art have a type of obsession, and thats why they collect these things in large numbers. Some marvel at the look of the watch, and appreciate its beauty etc, and others like Lanikai put on a specific watch for cigar smoking ;) I can say that I'm not at the stage where I will buy a watch just to put it on display and admire it, (thats a real watch nut) and probably never will be. I wear reps because I like the look of them, and I can also appreciate some of the history attached to certain brands. However thats not why I buy them, I buy them because I think they look good and they meet my criteria.

I do agree with the cycles, a lot of people after buying a large quantity of reps, start to discover their tastes. Also as others have pointed out, start to mod their watches to get them to being as close to genuine as possible. I still stand by my original point, of people who want to pass of their reps as gens, but they wear a different one each day or week and don't think that anyone who notices this won't suspect them of owning reps :lol: Unless of course you are wealthy or can make yourself out to be.

Since when is this hobby logical?

If you want to look at it from a logical standpoint, your needs would be fulfilled with two or maybe three watches and of course, to be practical, they should be quartz and not mechanical. But the point is that we are talking about wants and not practical needs in this hobby, or obsession to be more precise. By all means, if your opinion is that you need 10 watches, then collect 10 watches, if your magic number is 20, then collect 20 watches. THERE IS NO MAGIC NUMBER THAT WILL WORK FOR EVERY MEMBER!!!

I personally have way too many watches in practical terms, approximately 80, mostly ETA, but I consider myself as a collector. At a time or two I have considered thinning my collection, but every time I do, I find myself thinking why do I need to get rid of this one, so I guess I

I fully agree with Kruzer

I started of hunting all the forum sales sections. Didn't want to miss an sale.

At the moment i have a collection of 4 gens and 8 reps.

I'm selling some reps to built up a highly modded MBW collection.

I think at the end i will have a collection of 4 to 5 gens and 4 reps.

Carpe Diem

Cats

But the point remains that there's a cost of having access to these little jewels.

Awesome reply, as ever.

Have you noticed how an unusually large number of RWGers are saying they are getting out of reps? They're concentrating on gens.

I fear that may be the case with me, the moment I buy my gen PAM. Well, we'll see.

I tend to carry no more than 10 watches in the collection at any given time (though that number typically creeps up to 12 or 13) and wear 3 or 4 of those watches regularly.

If I make a new acquisition, I'll usually rotate my stock a bit by giving an old watch to a friend (or sometimes even selling a watch off).

I love Ubi's approach to reps. His approach is consistent and the most disciplined of anyone I know. Then again when you have a pair of stunning franken Daytonas it may be a touch easier to be disciplined. ;) And I would be remiss if I didn't add that I am a very happy beneficiary of his approach. His 6263 and personalized 45mm vintage PAM are some of the most prized possessions in my collection. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And yes Ubi I will remember to send out that Rolex crystal someday. :lol:

I had one other question relating to buying habits. How many folks amass a large number of reps, spend way too much money and than wake up one day and decide it is time to buy a gen or two in lieu of more reps. ;) Although I was a buyer of ges long before I knew anything about reps I do have to say that buying reps have caused me to buy more than one gen.

I had one other question relating to buying habits. How many folks amass a large number of reps, spend way too much money and than wake up one day and decide it is time to buy a gen or two in lieu of more reps. ;) Although I was a buyer of ges long before I knew anything about reps I do have to say that buying reps have caused me to buy more than one gen.

You've just described me and others to a tee.

Reps can be pretty frustrating. It's like NOT QUITE having an orgasm every time.

i have also experienced this phenomenon, with a slight twist.

i started as a buyer of reps, and after a while (and spending way too much money :lol:) i came to the conclusion that there are times where wearing a gen is much more appropriate than wearing reps. all sorts of situations like formal occasions :euro: , business meetings :man: , first dates :wub: , when you know you'll be around WIS types :cc_detective: , going to ADs to preview future rep purchases :disguise2: .....you get the idea.

so i've taken the approach that i should have a handful of gens for when i feel i need to be wearing the genuine article, and i have my reps for the everyday variety that i really enjoy.

deltatahoe