When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need advice about macro zooms/lenses

iceberg1459

Im looking for a macro objective for my nikon d40x.Stock objective (af-s nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6g 2ED) doesnt have any macro at all, i want to be able to make pictures like in the best reviewes of the forum. I dont have much idea about cameras but i know that macro objectives are expensive. I found this on ebay what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Sigma-70-300-DG-Macro-f...1QQcmdZViewItem

I will appreciate any help very much :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have this one.. It's a "good" telephoto, but don't get it for Macro. It's not made for it and it's only working at the very far of the zoom. 220-300mm, which with the conversion make it over 400mm. You have to stay over 1 meter of your subject.

Look for something in the 50 or 120mm range FIXED lens (no zoom) They will run for $300 to $xxxx

Or, if you are a bit tight on the budget, you could get the macro filter that you add in front of a lens. Hoya makes a kit. They call that "Close-up Macro Filter" and a kit of 3 should cost you about $50 on thebay

Pros: Price and incredible closeup you will be able to have. (you can take a full image of a penny without even using all the filters)

Cons: each filter you add, you loose light. The image also get deformation in the corners of the images. The Deep of field is VERY narrow.

I have those lens for my Canon S3 ans they give me impressive result. I have that 70-300mm lens for my Nikon D70 and I have an old 55mm Nikkor Macro lens for it too. My Canon with filter offer the best result, if the light conditions are good. I tried the filter on my Nikon 18-200mm with good result too

Edited by vric

If you don't want to spend alot, find a decent quality mid zoom, 28-35mm to 80-120mm ish range. Make sure its got a manual aperture ring, and then buy a reverse ring adapter for it. I'd bet if you ask around someone you know has an old 35mm slr camera with an inexpensive zoom lens in that range. It won't even matter what brand you get if you use a reverse ring adapter. Then learn to shoot in full manual mode and you can take shots like these...

macro003.jpg

macro004.jpg

BTW, I took those shots with my Nikon 35-135 AF-D lens (reverse ringed) thats worth about 60-80 bux on ebay. Its an autofocus lens, so I'm sure you find a nikon manual focus lens it'd be even cheaper! the reverse ring adapter will run you 10-15bux so for under 100 you can have a pretty nice macro setup.

Pete

Edited by owdeguy

a gen :lol: Nikon macrolens f.i. micro-nikkor 105mm or a 60mm 1:1 $800

a sigma or Tamron 90mm macro about $ 500

secondhand a micronikkor 55mm 2.8 less then $300

or macrotubes, 3 rings Kenko $140

but you really don't need a real macro, you just need a lens that can come in close

only disvantage I find is you have to screw it off and on, when you want a full shot of the watch you have to take it off and when you want a macro again you have to screw it on

A simple zoomlens with a macrofunction works a lot easier but for 15 euro, that's no waisted money

You should be able to get some nice shots, however the cheap add on lens way would be my least favorite.

The reason being you buy a Nikon for the glass, they are famous for it. If you're putting something between your subject and camera thats an unknown, you'll get unknown results, like weird bokeh, chromatic shifting esp on the fringes, focusing issues. With either extension tubes or reverse rings the glass is still of whatever quality you use, that being your Nikkor lens.

The only advantage I see to this is that you still get metering so you can run in an automatic mode. This may be off by 1-2 f stops however because light is being lost going through your add on lens, therefore you may need to compensate either with EV or by switching to manual.

Good luck and happy shooting! BTW, I'm more of a motorsports photog than a Macro expert, these are just my ramblings from my years of doing photography....

Pete

the only problem with the screw on macro rings is that they will distortr AND cause chromatic abberation at the corners. even the best genuine canon ones cause unwanted problems due to the fact that youre slapping more glass in front of your lens...for $80 you should buy extension tubes... they can get you down to 2:1 with NO DEGRADING IMAGE QUALITY since they DONT use any glass in them but in fact push the focus further away from the digital sensor... ive seen asian knock offs of the kenko $80 brand (which are high qaulity knock offs of the canons)for $6...same thing. EXCEPT the kenkos can auto focus your lens... ive even seen a DIY pringles can MACRO tube. all work very well...google kenko tubes AND stay away from close up filters.

hxxp://www.photocritic.org/2005/macro-photography-on-a-budget/

PRINGLES DIY MACRO

hxxp://www.toledo-bend.us/index.shtml?ExtTube

a brief explanation and example shots of extension tubes

I was viewing a thread when I saw this pic, reminded me of this thread.

Heres an example of what may happen using macro filters. (not sure if macro filters were/were not used on this shot, but the white lettering with offset blue is a perfect example of chromatic shift)

259149-5808.jpg

Im looking for a macro objective for my nikon d40x.Stock objective (af-s nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6g 2ED) doesnt have any macro at all, i want to be able to make pictures like in the best reviewes of the forum. I dont have much idea about cameras but i know that macro objectives are expensive. I found this on ebay what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.de/Sigma-70-300-DG-Macro-f...1QQcmdZViewItem

I will appreciate any help very much :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I got the Sigma EX DG Macro for Nikon.. todaythe Nikon macro for the d60 is not out yet and will be 900 usd.. fully automatic the Sigma is manual focus.. but about 400 usd... i took some pics with it today.. but it will get better.. I did not use my tripod.. so the shots are a little blurred.. still working on the setting for the d 60 just got it a week ago.. but i am sure I'll be happy with the Sigma...

csc0029bg6.jpg

dsc0005ji4.jpg

dsc0001xa8.jpg

I like it .. not only for detailed up close shots .. but for shots from 1 meter away also..

Answer to this depends on how serious you are.

I sold cameras and was a professional photographer for nearly 10 years. For me the 105mm f2.8 MicroNikkor was the only choice for macro photography and portraits. If you can find a NOS or used AF-D version, all the better ... I personally liked the glass better then. I like the longer macro lens because of the added working distances, and it also doubles as a great lens for "people" shots.

If it's beyond your reach, then capice and vric have a good idea ... find a used 55mm f2.8. Or you can try the Tamron 90mm f2.8 which is my favorite "non-OEM" brand.

Overall, in my experience of everything I personally shot with, overall lens quality was (in order): Schneider, Hassleblad, Leica, Nikon, Zeiss, Rodenstock, Canon, Mamiya, Tamron, Olympus, Pentax.

In general, I do not recommend filters or adapters due to distortion and artifacts.

And it's NEVER a mistake to buy Nikon .... :wub: ... although Canon does make a fine product which has certainly gotten better since the 80's when their products were terrible.