When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Family Picture

tmg

Another quick pix I snapped of the Rolex family.

I ticked another project off the list; a 5513 with gilt 369 (explorer dial) built from mostly spare parts. Had to throw in the budget Silix 1675 for balance -its still a work in progress and has the incorrect dial I know :rolleyes:

DSCN5011.jpg

And the other side of the family. The 201A was just updated with the new rev DSN dial.

DSCN5134.jpg

Awesome collection. I'm intrigued by your collection and it makes me wonder where I'll end up in my own pursuit.

I am not as intrigued by the idea of maxing out a vintage rollie collection, in terms of building up a number of vintage sub models, etc..

They're too expensive and too close in terms of their similar look for me to be able to rationalize. At the same time, I could see adding a DW daytona to complete my own mini-collection.

I would love either a 1655 or a 1675, but they're not as readily available. The cool thing about the vintage GMT's is that they're the only remaining reasonable value in the vintage rolex world, IMO.

That's why I've been trying to organize a group-buy for some vietnamese cases.

Thanks for all the kind words gents! I have narrow tastes -what can I say.

Mezz, I know what you mean. I certainly didn't plan on having so many sub styles. The explorer dial 5513 was a what the hell I have an MBK case I spent all this time modding and its just sitting in the parts box, do something with it....

Collections do take funny turns at times.

Gen 1675's aren't much of a reasonable value any longer I've noticed over the last 6-9 months, they're all selling for 5513 prices as well. Now some of the transitional 16750 are still decent buys.

If you're right about the GMT's going up recently along with the rest of the vintage world, then I may have to look at at switching to an Explorer if something were to materialize with the vietnamese thing. I like the McQueen better than the GMT, but figured that if the GMT's were still half-way reasonable, then it would make more sense to do the economical thing. The rep gods would never allow such a thing, I should've realized... :p

Your point about how sometimes you can find yourself with an extra watch is something I have experienced too. Sometimes in the parts collections phase, I'll end up with duplicate parts for whatever reason. I realized a while back that I could've put together a fully modded DRSD just with spare parts. I thought long and hard about it, but decided in the end that the cost of actually putting it all together would've been too expensive.

Awesome work, and I'm looking forward to what may come in the future...

If you're right about the GMT's going up recently along with the rest of the vintage world, then I may have to look at at switching to an Explorer if something were to materialize with the vietnamese thing. I like the McQueen better than the GMT, but figured that if the GMT's were still half-way reasonable, then it would make more sense to do the economical thing. The rep gods would never allow such a thing, I should've realized... :p

Your point about how sometimes you can find yourself with an extra watch is something I have experienced too. Sometimes in the parts collections phase, I'll end up with duplicate parts for whatever reason. I realized a while back that I could've put together a fully modded DRSD just with spare parts. I thought long and hard about it, but decided in the end that the cost of actually putting it all together would've been too expensive.

Awesome work, and I'm looking forward to what may come in the future...

Mezz, were you thinking of an NDT 1675 case for a GMT? Maybe it's just the photos but the crown guards look like a sub and seem way off. Maybe there'll be a rev2 on it with improvements. Until then I'm stuch with my budget Silix 1675, I just have to work on the bezel now and that's about as much time and energy I want to spend on that piece.

You know, I haven't even done a lot of looking at the GMT that NDtrading offers- I'd just assumed it was 1:1 like their SD and supposedly their vintage sub and explorer. If it's not suitable as a base, then it looks like the idea of an easy to adapt GMT is even further removed from possibility than I'd originally believed.

I agree that it's not worth it to go overboard with mods and $$ trying to get a chinese rep to achieve the same effect as the better options. I have tried to avoid the idea of going into the dangerous territory of the DW daytonas, but I have a feeling it might be the best choice given the options and potential $$ involved.

I'm not sure if you'll still be checking this one, toomuchgear- but if you could give me some of your thoughts on the decision you made to go with a DW, I would be glad to hear what your reasoning was at the time...and whether you'd completed your sub projects before you lept off that bridge.

• 1 month later...