When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Awaiting Customs Charging

Fireman_Fred

I'm awaiting the return of my SFSO from Silix (following repair) and according to EMS it has arrived in the UK. When I checked the Tracking through Parcelforce (who deliver EMS parcels in the UK), it says "AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING". I've had lots of watches delivered via EMS/Parcelforce before and this is the first time I've seen this message - should I be worried ?? :mellow:

No, no you should not. Not in any way shape or form ^_^

Unless Silix put a value of $2000 on the custom declaration form, all should be OK.

I have had this message before, depending on the time of day it can be released straight away, or maybe next day when they all start work again...

Cheers! B)

I hope Mickey's explanation is correct. My father in law recently bought a digital camera from the US, which had been modified to work in the infra-red spectrum, and, despite the item being maked 'for scientific use' on the customs declaration, the good people at HM Customs still charged duty on it (in theory, it should have been exempt) To make matters worse, the way the system works, the courier company pay the release fee, and then charge it on to the customer...

I hope things work out okay for you :)

I hope Mickey's explanation is correct. My father in law recently bought a digital camera from the US, which had been modified to work in the infra-red spectrum, and, despite the item being maked 'for scientific use' on the customs declaration, the good people at HM Customs still charged duty on it (in theory, it should have been exempt) To make matters worse, the way the system works, the courier company pay the release fee, and then charge it on to the customer...

I hope things work out okay for you :)

Put an invoice/customs value of about $65 or more on an item, coming in from outside the EU, and you will get charged for it full stop.

You can dispute the charge afterwards, but that is about it...

I have a watch with the same message coming in right now. My previous watch purchase had that message too....

The courier admin fees are a joke too, sometimes more than the TAX itself!

Cheers! B)

Put an invoice/customs value of about $65 or more on an item, coming in from outside the EU, and you will get charged for it full stop.

I have a watch with the same message coming in right now. My previous watch purchase had that message too....

Cheers! B)

As I said, I had not seen this particular message before and it's been ther 24 hrs already. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that you're right Mickey and you're wrong TeeJay !! :)

Cheers! B)

Yup, it's a pretty shitty state of affairs... I remember a few years back, I ordered some soft 'toys' as a joke present for my wife (They're the plush microbes, magnified a million times) I had to pay more in VAT, than I'd paid for the whole order :( I used to love watching The Knock, but now, I just think f*ck Customs :lol:

As I said, I had not seen this particular message before and it's been ther 24 hrs already. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that you're right Mickey and you're wrong TeeJay !! :)

Indeed, hopefully it'll come through okay. I just felt the need to comment due to what happened with my father in law's camera, and how, even though it should have been exempt from any charges, they were still applied, and, as the charge was paid by the courier firm, which they then put to the customer, the customer is unable to dispute the charge with customs themselves (who were actually very helpful and apologetic) Fingers crossed :)

I've had this message on the last five packages. Because customs are now slower to operate this messgae is now written when it arrives at the 'international hub' before being release to Coventry 'national hub'. If you have been charged it will state 'RELEASED WITH CHARGES'.

I would.nt worry and the next time you look it should say 'enroute to delivery depot' and all will be well.

I was charged Duty 2 years ago on the Breitling Bently ,although the collector attaced a minimal $ amount ... the US customs sent a letter to the post office declaring not to release the watch until the duty was paid.. i ended up paying 50.00 usd ..

so in that instance it didn't matter what was declared ... one other member in 06 in the UK was charged a lot more.. you can alway's refuse the parcel..

Seems like this is happening with more frequency in the last week .. there are other instances of this here in the US.. but members have not posted it (witinin the last week).. it appears that the powers that be want their "cut" too.. <_<

Probably more like new trainee's entering the workplace and wanting to show their worth.... then they calm down....

One of the guys on my Saturday soccer team is a higher level guy in USPS... he mostly trains new hires and looks at processes.... he said it is funny to watch the newbs all gung ho about doing their job.... they work so hard and then 6-9 months later, they get with the program and work at the same pace everyone else does.... slow...

"The nail that sticks up, gets pounded"

I had the "Awaiting Customs Charges" message a few weeks ago. Naturally, I worried but I need not have.

I called Parcelforce who then put me through to HM Customs to ask the progress on my parcel!

That I didn't expect!

Anyway, they deal with thousands of items per day, and your (as mine was) just ended up in the same cart as another item of interest.

Don't chase it up, and don't panic either. Give it about 2 days in that state and it should be released with no charges.

Silix won't have put a silly value on it and it certainly won't be getting released if they knew it was a rep!

Just relax and leave it for a while... ;)

I'm awaiting the return of my SFSO from Silix (following repair) and according to EMS it has arrived in the UK. When I checked the Tracking through Parcelforce (who deliver EMS parcels in the UK), it says "AWAITING CUSTOMS CHARGING". I've had lots of watches delivered via EMS/Parcelforce before and this is the first time I've seen this message - should I be worried ?? :mellow:

Ive had this on 10-20 parcels in the last few weeks.

It will clear eventually and will be delivered with no charge.

Although rumour has it 'Parcel force' are now checking random parcels for replica items... :huh:

Although rumour has it 'Parcel force' are now checking random parcels for replica items... :huh:

That sounds like bad news !! :o

Got the message I was hoping for today - "En route to delivery depot" - HOORAY !! :D