When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen. MB Timewalker Chrono or HBB RG/Ceramic rep?

wj94

They may be well replicated but that shouldn't justify their crazy price tags. I bet there are sellers in China selling HBB's to the Chinese population at $100 or less, absolutely no way over $200.

Sure, but... aren't the gens overpriced too... :p

More seriously, I agree with you regarding the HBB pricing, but as you may know, there are more reasonnably priced versions, although that is not the point in this topic.

I would reformulate my answer as follows : for the price of a gen, I prefer several good reps. Again, this is only my opinion, and I respect of course those who would choose the opposite way.

Sure, but... aren't the gens overpriced too... :p

More seriously, I agree with you regarding the HBB pricing, but as you may know, there are more reasonnably priced versions, although that is not the point in this topic.

I would reformulate my answer as follows : for the price of a gen, I prefer several good reps. Again, this is only my opinion, and I respect of course those who would choose the opposite way.

Oh I agree with you, gens are absolutely overpriced. I like reps too thats why I buy them ;) BUT the HBB's are ridiculously overpriced that it's no longer a joke, they're rip-offs in my opinion but we do seem to have money-splashers here who aren't put off by the pricing. Maybe if they knew what they actually sell for in China, they might feel they overpaid..

Oh I agree with you, gens are absolutely overpriced. I like reps too thats why I buy them BUT the HBB's are ridiculously overpriced that it's no longer a joke, they're rip-offs in my opinion but we do seem to have money-splashers here who aren't put off by the pricing. Maybe if they knew what they actually sell for in China, they might feel they overpaid..

Couldn't agree more. Gens are overpriced, but you are paying for exclusivitiy (to a certain extent) and status. Whereas with a replica, all you own is a replica.

If you have the financial means and love watches, go for a genuine. If you're in it for only for the style, definitely go for the replica. As said, you can have many reps. for the price of a gen.

Genuine watches are priced like cars, the high-ends are all priced per their exclusivity pecking order since at those prices they are all made pretty much the same super-quality. The wannabe cars that emulate the luxury brands are priced per the styling, not necessarily for their mechanical qualities or components used. Not hard to guess which have resale value and which wind up in the junkyard as scrap.

The HBB is a special animal, more so than the Panerai. An international fashion statement since 2005 when it got Grand Prix at Basel Watch Show. Before that they were a second tier luxury watch maker. When Carlo Crocco of Hublot hired Jean-Claude Biver as CEO, that's when the brand took off. Now Hublot is cashing in on it, so are the rep. makers. The gen is not worth the exorbitant ripoff price it commands if you compare to the caliber and history of JLC, Breguet, Patek, which is where they are putting their startup HBB pricing, but the replica was so well done, (probably because the watch was so easily copied), that the rep. makers are also riding on the latest craze and pricing in step with that thinking.

As the HBB reps. proliferate since so many genuine and followup replica models are being produced, so will the replica HBB prices fall like the Panerai and Rolex replica prices did. Remember when we paid exorbitant prices for the first quasi-accurate Pannies, now that there are millions of Pannie reps that have gotten better, the price has fallen dramatically. To be early adopters always feels like you are being ripped off but its a personal decision. Look at the IPhone, $450 then $250 a few month later, the first guys were still happy to be the first ones to show off their new toy and status symbol. So goes the gen. and rep. HBBs is my prediction.

A genuine is a genuine, a replica will never come close to a genuine. Put a genuine next to a replica any day and you will know the difference. For the HBB rep. (and to that extent the genuine) you are paying for being one of the first ones out with the "latest and the greatest" and paying for it. A couple of years down the road and your rep. will be worthless.

Buy the MB, it is a great watch, although a Richmont Group market hype success, don't hold that against it and the price it commands for a "designer house brand" (Think Tiffany and Gucci). Mont Blanc is the only designer house brand watch that has had success in this area. They are still reasonable for a very good high-end swiss luxury watch and well made. I think it should keep some value in the future. Still bear in mind, its not an investment vehicle, its just a watch that will be worth something later down the road compared to an HBB rep. with a ceramic bezel. The ceramic bezel will be the most useful and valuable resale part of the replica in the future.

I am picking up a gen. Mont Blanc Timewalker Chrono this weekend and have been debating whether to keep that or try and set up a trade for a HBB Rose Gold/Ceramic rep. plus some cash.....what would you do?

Go for the Gen!

1 Gen is worth 10 reps imo.

ive been thinking about getting 1 for a while.. cant seem to find a Rose Gold version that I want :(