When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to tell is 2836 Swiss or Asian ?

z3k0

So, I noticed one of our collectors Eurotimez stated following:

The Noobversion SUB - TT comes with the following movement.

All three have different pricing and can be ordered as listed below. Clone is cheapest and New ETA movement is most expensive.

1. Clone ETA movement (looks identical to ETA 2836-2 even has the stamps)

2. Second hand ETA movement (that is what some dealers are selling to reduce the price)

3. New ETA movements 2836-2 (this is what I

It's going to be hard to tell the clone 2836 from the true 2836 eta. Paul had some pics at one time comparing the two- the variation is in the printing and small details like the jewel on the balance arm, the rotor bearings, etc. Look at this last pic in the ad for this vintage sub with the eta clone movt, and compare for yourself.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=1810

It's going to be hard to tell the clone 2836 from the true 2836 eta. Paul had some pics at one time comparing the two- the variation is in the printing and small details like the jewel on the balance arm, the rotor bearings, etc. Look at this last pic in the ad for this vintage sub with the eta clone movt, and compare for yourself.

http://www.pam111.com/product_info.php?products_id=1810

Great info, thank you. But, now I'm even more confused - this means Asian clone has Incablock shock absorber and Swiss have Novodiac, and based on info I found around, Incablock is better system, and Novodiac is their "budget" system <_< I wish some movement expert would comment on this.

You are right, it will be hard ....

regards

About a year ago Ziggy did a review of a clone movement. The quality of the clone movement is fairly decent- maybe not quite the same as an eta in every respect, but good. Is it clean and properly oiled? That's another question, but like a lot of the Chinese movements, with proper servicing, they can be very dependable. And don't forget, the same holds true for our eta movements in reps- they are also not necessarily clean and properly oiled- they are 'surplus' movements as Ziggy says.

With the future availability of eta movements in question, I think the clones are a welcome development and I look forward to continued improvements fron China- even now we are seeing the 2892-2 being cloned as well as other movements. This is all good for our hobby- we'll have movements for our reps for the forseeable future.

I'm not too sure about the difference between Incabloc and Novodiac, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The easiest way to tell the Asian from the Swiss is to look at the markings under the balance.

ETA is Stamped into the metal of the mainplate as is 2836-2

Asian one is ink markings of some type, I just had one of these (Asian one) in the shop, the markings are INK, not Stampings into the metal...

Ignore the rest, just look at the markings and problem solved.

RG

Great info, thank you. But, now I'm even more confused - this means Asian clone has Incablock shock absorber and Swiss have Novodiac, and based on info I found around, Incablock is better system, and Novodiac is their "budget" system <_< I wish some movement expert would comment on this.

You are right, it will be hard ....

regards

I have the swiss made 2824-2 in my Ingeniuer and has incablock shockabsorber so it is NOT sure that the swiss always has novodiac but it is more common!!!