When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A gen project comes to fullfillment.

offshore

About 3 years ago, I won a gen Omega Geneve, in an ebay auction, with a bunch of other items.

It was a tired and sorry old thing, but amazingly ran, albeit with some keyless works probs, and a badly damaged dial, that no mother could love!

I gave it the kiss of life, movement wise, a service, and revived the day/date change, and there it has sat in the "work in progress" box!

I have spotted a couple of suitable dials over the past year or so, but they have gone past $100, and a tight ass like me, won't go to those extremes!

So a local guy posts a dial which will work, @$9 to start.

I PM him, ( have bought a lot of stuff from him over the years) and ask for his BIN price!

He wants $100, so I elect to go to auction.

Tonight ...success :D

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...N:IT&ih=017

The interesting part of this auction, which I won with a snipe bid, is the "bidder 1 " bids.

Is this a shill? or another bidder who has little idea of the process?

I could care less... $30 with freight, now makes this a project for early completion... I may even make this a daily beater, or alternatively ebay it with an expected $500- $1000 return, or just offer it to my market stall watch buyers at around $1k!

It does however show the advantage of time and research of ones needs, and the use of a snipe programme to bid. ( I use auction Sentry)

Will post some shots of the completed project in the next week or 2, along with a shot of it's current sorry state.

Offshore

Looks like a good nights work buddy, be interested to see the finished watch.

One thing I wouldn't do if I was you is to eBay it, why chance someone else getting a steal after all your hard work.

I never use snipe programs myself, usually I just lodge my first bid with about 3 seconds to go on the auction. ;)

Ken

Good to hear of someone being successful on Ebay, when it is something that they can put to good use,

especially with the knowledge that goes with it.

Had he said $70 , you may have taken it, so his loss, your gain.

Well done , and hope to see the results. ( pics,pics, pics.)

My parents gave me a Geneve for my high school graduation back in the mid 70s--brushed gold case and a very unique and stylish dial. I didn't take care of it properly and let it rust out from water damage during a Hawaii trip. In any case, I periodically browse ebay for the Geneve in brushed gold, but I've never seen one with the dial that I am interested in. As a fallback, I figure that I'll have dibs on inheriting my father's brushed SS case Geneve with the more frequently seen blue bullseye-style dial.

One other thing -- most of these watches that I see posted on ebay are from sellers in the Phillipines, India, Singapore, etc. Even with ebay's so-called protections, I would be nervous spending $500 or more to one of these vendors for a watch that is more than 30 years old.

I well understand that the Geneves' were actually a down market model.

However, of late, anything with a 'brand' name, and provable gen, seems to run $500+

I know that, even at my market stall, I can start this at $1k plus, and "take a beating" to somewhere between $500 and $1k.

However, I am growing more attached by the moment to it, and will see what I feel like after i have completed the "redial"

Could be another for the collection.

Offshore