When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Illicit: The Dark Trade

freddy333

Antifreeze used as cough syrup. (That was terrible btw.)

I think some of this might also be a little bit on the extreme exaggerated side; remember, the media doesn't really have a history of "toning things down" or "representing footage impartially"...

...except FOX News - my favorite of all news programs.

Edited by Corgi

fake watches and fake drugs are VERY different. ONLY thing they have in common is they are not authorized for production. fake fashion goods exist to replace the high cost of a product that has no reason for being overpriced in the first place except greed, (our reps with ETAs are examples of that, same with leather LV bags, can a genuine do anything more than a rep?)on the other side; fake drugs exist OUT OF greed, a counterfeiter seeing an easy way to make money of a huge industry with no regard for peoples safety. my opinion is the first example of the watch is not immoral, but feeding into consumerism and then exploiting sure is, the second example with prescriptions drug that could harm someone is defntly a problem, and any idiot can see the difference. as for child labour and low wages; it would exist regardless of the product being made (even genuine items use cheap labour, where do think 90% of everythig is produced and why). stick me in a country where id have no education and id beg you to pay me 10cents a day, not to mention 10cents would probably stretch the whole day in a country where cost of living is 5$ a week. at least now the kid can eat. the problem is with the government not taking care of its citizens, china has a lot to offer, but take away someones job and youll have a lot more problems than if they made next to nothing.

FYI: i once read a parts breakdown on a year 2000 or later rolex submariner and it was established it cost rolex around $500 to produce a fully functioning prim and polished model.

i mean there is no real justification for why an LV would cost $1,500 more other than exclusivity. maxi dial blah blah blah.

i mean there is no real justification for why an LV would cost $1,500 more other than exclusivity. maxi dial blah blah blah.

yes there is:

the costs in developing the brand name. most things don't cost much to make but making it known around the world takes a bit of money.same with rolex and all the other big brands.

fake watches and fake drugs are VERY different. ONLY thing they have in common is they are not authorized for production. fake fashion goods exist to replace the high cost of a product that has no reason for being overpriced in the first place except greed, (our reps with ETAs are examples of that, same with leather LV bags, can a genuine do anything more than a rep?)on the other side; fake drugs exist OUT OF greed, a counterfeiter seeing an easy way to make money of a huge industry with no regard for peoples safety. my opinion is the first example of the watch is not immoral, but feeding into consumerism and then exploiting sure is, the second example with prescriptions drug that could harm someone is defntly a problem, and any idiot can see the difference. as for child labour and low wages; it would exist regardless of the product being made (even genuine items use cheap labour, where do think 90% of everythig is produced and why). stick me in a country where id have no education and id beg you to pay me 10cents a day, not to mention 10cents would probably stretch the whole day in a country where cost of living is 5$ a week. at least now the kid can eat. the problem is with the government not taking care of its citizens, china has a lot to offer, but take away someones job and youll have a lot more problems than if they made next to nothing.

FYI: i once read a parts breakdown on a year 2000 or later rolex submariner and it was established it cost rolex around $500 to produce a fully functioning prim and polished model.

I have now seen this film also and I have to agree that they throw everything in one pot. It hurts to see all the nice bags and watches destroyed, all the labor that went in that - its bad.

They just do not make the connection that their 'legitimate' Industries have their dark sides too, they also exploit people its the nature of business. They just cannot control the rep market and that is what really makes them nervous and angry. Let the people who have the cash and like to buy gen, let them buy it and let the other people who rather buy reps buy those. As much as both Industries have their dark side, they also have their benefits for the people who make these goods and the ones who love to own them. There are certainly bigger troubles to worry about then fake handbags and watches - as this film also has shown.

The producers certainly did the usual over hyping & blaming the counterfeiters for just about every ill under the sun. But they do make 1 good point -- if you wanted to sneak something dangerous into a country, there is probably no 'safer' method than to include it in a shipment of 'Big Bang' rep watches. ;)

yes there is:

the costs in developing the brand name. most things don't cost much to make but making it known around the world takes a bit of money.same with rolex and all the other big brands.

well i dont agree with that. have you ever seen an ad for a ferrari or a lambo? its word of mouth. recall the first time you ever heard of ferrari, was it in some ad or some marketing campaign? probably not... come to think of it i never heard of panerai, hublot, and AP until i came here... and even then the LV might cost rolex $20 more to make so $520 total...hell of a profit margin :)

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

Is there anyone who can setup a torrent of this for those us outside the US?

Which torrent site do you use down there?

The producers certainly did the usual over hyping & blaming the counterfeiters for just about every ill under the sun. But they do make 1 good point -- if you wanted to sneak something dangerous into a country, there is probably no 'safer' method than to include it in a shipment of 'Big Bang' rep watches. ;)

Or much more likely, a containerload of merchandise from just about anywhere, offloaded in just about any port in the U.S.

I recorded this program, but haven't seen it yet. Unfortunately my wife watched it last night, and this morning she said she hopes I don't buy any more reps -- watches or otherwise.

I should have known better, but I figured she'd rather watch whatever was on TCM, or any of the other movies we've recorded on DVR, than a documentary about the rep trade.

Fortunately I don't have anything in the pipeline, or even anything specific on my wishlist, right now. But I need to watch this show so I can figure out how to address or break down her new-found concerns.