When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Friendly watchsmith in Canada Found!

92tru

Hey everyone,

Just want to let you guys know that I found a very knowledgable rep-friendly watchsmith in Toronto. Just 10-15mins North of toronto around the Steeles/Kennedy area. I was turned away by more "watchsmiths" than i expected before finding him!

Not to take away from the great members/watchsmiths here on the forum, but I figure help like this can be really useful!!

I won't put his info up directly, but I can give you an idea of the services he is offering:

Full servicing/maintenance of Manual/Automatic movements, oiling, etc

Hand replacement/Adjustment (if they read slightly off, not pointing directly at the numbers etc)

Dial repair (if markers had fallen off)

General RELUME (not sure about how intricate the detail is of how small indicators he can do, OR what brand formula he uses to relume, but he does this service and is quite familiar with the removal first, and reapplication)

I just let him service a PANERAI rep that had the power-reserve needle a touch loose and it was interfering with the movement of the hour hand. It now works flawlessly.

His prices are very reasonable for any of the repair work, not sure about the reluming!

PM me for details!!

can any of the mods make a sticky for links to rep-friendly watchsmiths per local?

I think many of the members would find that info pretty helpful!!

Yeah sure and watch how quick they get closed down. :D

I think if members PM you thats the best bet.

Ken

oohh, servicing reps is illegal? i mean, even replica jewelery needs repair, right?

It's not illegal in North America to "repair counterfeit watches" (only to sell them) but, if you owned a repair shop, would you want it to be filled with counterfeits?

Does anybody know a rep-friendly watchsmith in Ottawa? I have been almost everywhere... and every single one of them got upset and either lectured me about horology or just told me to get the hell out of their establishment.

I have been almost everywhere... and every single one of them got upset and either lectured me about horology or just told me to get the hell out of their establishment.

Lol, French Canadians can be so snooty! Find an Asian jeweller in a small mall or flea market (Indians are pretty good) - most of them don't care

same happened here... - even in small asain establishments!

I got that treatment from so-called "Anglo" Americans. Hooboy, very nasty.

But I found two others. A young Jewish chap, and an older Cuban guy. I've broached the topic of opening up their business to our hobby for locals, but astonishingly for me, both said they didn't need it. Really, I don't get it. Whenever I enter their jewelry boutiques, they're dead empty.

Sorry guys.

P.S.: Glad you found one in TO! I'll PM a chum of mine, who was going to use the yellow pages.

... astonishingly for me, both said they didn't need it. Really, I don't get it. Whenever I enter their jewelry boutiques, they're dead empty.

honestly, I have never been in a BUSY jeweler, watchsmith, etc, EVER. Its like the world stops once u open their doors and you have 3 people staring at each other or wiping glass counters..... or staring at glass counters!

Shipping and recieving stuff can be messy tho and customs etc etc, I'm sure they know a lot more about the customs side of shipping expensive items then i'd ever want to know...

honestly, I have never been in a BUSY jeweler, watchsmith, etc, EVER.

True. :)

Its like the world stops once u open their doors and you have 3 people staring at each other or wiping glass counters..... or staring at glass counters!

I have to say, that a lot of people shop at chain jewelry stores like Jared or Mayor's. Whenever I go there, those places are packed, so the experience is very different than being buzzed into a TOTALLY empty jeweler's, where you have the run of the shop if you want.

No wonder they're snooty.

Shipping and recieving stuff can be messy tho and customs etc etc, I'm sure they know a lot more about the customs side of shipping expensive items then i'd ever want to know...

Hmm, good point! I hadn't thought of that. :)

BTW, no offence to anyone here who is a jeweler, but when others are citing people they don't trust, and naming lawyers, used car salesmen, car mechanics, etc. I am thinking "jewelers".

I follow them around with my pieces like a hawk.

yah shipping expensive items, being a jeweler selling expensive items and then word leaking out in the jeweler community that u getting mixed up in reps and servicing? that would sink a place pretty quick..

i mean, with those slow jewelers im sure they just spend all day riding the gossip train!

Edited by 92tru

• 5 months later...