When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Crown Not Fitting in Gen Tube?

HauteHippie

So I'm working on a project here, and am confused. A 16200 case tube (acquired as a set along with the gen case) and a 24-603-0 crown ought to be compatible. However the crown simply does not want to push through the tube. I suppose if the O-ring inside the tube were removed, then it'd fit. But with it in place, it's a no go.

Has anyone ever had this problem? I guess there are two possibilities: (1) the crown isn't the right part. It was shown in a 24-603-0 package on EBay, but was sold loose in non-descript packaging. (2) The crown tube isn't genuine. The case/tube/crystal were purchased as a set from roling on Ebay, who is known to have a very good reputation.

*sigh* Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Hey Chief,

I've had the same problem numerous times. The item pictured shows a 24-603-0. But then the crown you receive is not as pictured. I would bet that this is the case. Your Roling case is fine, it is the crown.

Is this the item? He must use a stock photo, as I've been fooled a few times.

01_1.JPG

It is really frustrating as you have to contact the seller, send back the crown, and hope he sends you the correct part. It is a waste of time and money, as I always end up eating the return shipping.

If you are talking about the same seller, I give up. He has done it to me 5 times now. I can never win with this guy.

btw: did you receive the other parts?

There are 2 styles of tubes for 6mm Twinlock crowns -- old & new style

roltubenewold.gif

The old style have splines that mate with the Rolex tube tool located around the inside end of the tube & the new style have the splines located around the inside of the outer end of the tube, which allows for a slightly thicker shaft on the crown. I suspect you have 1 of the old style tubes, but you need the new style. Luckily, you can get good generic tubes from Ofrei for $6.00/each.

Hey Freddy,

I'm pretty sure his problem is the crown, not the tube. He has the old style crown that does not fit the new style tube. 16200 has a 5.3mm tube (new style). His crown is for 6mm, or old style tube. I have the same crown, same auction picture, wrong item sent. The seller is notorious for sending the wrong part, at least from my experience. I have a spare "old style" tube, and the crown mates perfectly. The seller should have sent a 6mm crown for 5.3mm tube. Even if Chief were to pick up a different tube, the tube would not fit his case. The case and tube are correct, it is the crown that is wrong.

Hey Chief, you would always do what Watchbuff did, file out the tube to fit the old style crown. :p

OK, thanks again, Stilty... I've already contacted the seller.

Anyhow, just to clarify: will a 24-603-0 fit EITHER the old version or the new version tube? Or are there 24-603-0 variants (5.3mm vs 6mm) for each tube? And if so, how does one differentiate? Or do I need a crown with a different part number altogether?

LOL, still confused.

JimmyThree is the grandmaster of crowns and tubes.

I haven't tried to fit a 24-603-0 to the old style tube, but I will try if you like.

when rolex switched to sapphire crystals, that is when they made the 5.3mm tube standard for either 6mm or 5.3mm crowns. before, it was 6mm tube for 6mm crown, and 5.3mm tube for 5.3m crown. Now, same tube for both crowns.

Very confusing.

I could pretty much guarantee that you were shipped the wrong crown by the seller. Measure the neck of the crown and post your results. I'll measure both crowns and let you know my readings.

quote =

Anyhow, just to clarify: will a 24-603-0 fit EITHER the old version or the new version tube? Or are there 24-603-0 variants (5.3mm vs 6mm) for each tube? And if so, how does one differentiate? Or do I need a crown with a different part number altogether?

/quote

A 603 crown will not work on a regular 6.0mm case tube, only a 5.3mm tube.

Both crowns are 6.0mm outside diameter but the 24-603-0 etc has a crown post that is about 1.8mm in diameter where the regular 6.0mm crown (24-600-0 etc) post is about 2.15mm in diameter.

Crown post = the tube coming out of the crown cap, not the telescoping threaded part.

It's my opinion that anyone selling rolex parts should be sharp enough to know what they are selling and not keep sending the wrong parts over and over. I would ask the seller to refund shipping cost or give you an extra free crown for the trouble.

Here are a couple posts about crowns and tubes:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/mess...ation+continued

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/mess...s+information...

I purchased this same item form this seller several weeks ago. I did not get the 24-603 crown but a 24-600 crown. As you stated the crown threads are too large for the old style tube. I attempted to change the tube to the 6mm size but the threads are too large for the case. I returned the crown to Jewelers Tools

(David) and requested the correct crown. I even sent a tube to explain the problem. I received a 5.3 mm crown for a lady's watch which will fit the tube but is too small in diameter for the men's watch. I returned the crown again and a week later I received my parcel marked "Return to sender, occupant moved".

I contacted the seller to confirm the address and he stated that he had not moved but he was enjoying his swimming pool and is there anything else that he could help me with :huh:

It sounds as if Chifetang may have received the 24-600 crown that I previously sent back. I hope that he has more sucess in getting his 24-603 from this seller than I did. Although I have had several good transactions with this seller in the past, I will think twice before buying agian.

It's my opinion that anyone selling rolex parts should be sharp enough to know what they are selling and not keep sending the wrong parts over and over. I would ask the seller to refund shipping cost or give you an extra free crown for the trouble.

I emailed him prior to bidding, specifically asking that a 603 crown be sent, as pictured in the auction. I was very specific in my request and figured he couldn't get it wrong as I was so detailed. But no! Wrong again.

I also emailed him once I received the wrong crown requesting the proper crown, and shipping fees. No response.

I would ding him with negative feedback, but from my experience, there is always retaliation feedback left, so I would rather just forget about it and never deal with him again.

So, from my experience, I would never buy from Jewelers Tools again. David has no clue as to what he is selling definitely does not have the courtesy to respond to emails or even try to fix the problem.

I would ding him with negative feedback, but from my experience, there is always retaliation feedback left, so I would rather just forget about it and never deal with him again.

So, from my experience, I would never buy from Jewelers Tools again. David has no clue as to what he is selling definitely does not have the courtesy to respond to emails or even try to fix the problem.

Parts buyers should also beware of wholesaleoutlet990 (Faisal Ali, in Sugarland, Texas).

I have had similar problems with Ali on each of the 4 items I purchased from him (I only purchased the last 3 items because they were cheap, I was willing to risk the loss & there were no other options at the time). In each case, I preceded the purchase by asking 1 or 2 VERY simple/specific questions & Ali's answers were either knowingly misleading or incorrect. Example.......my question: 'Will the loops in your 'genuine' Rolex 585 end links properly fit the standard genuine 2mm diameter Rolex springbars without modification?'. Ali's answer: 'Yes, no problem.' The end links I received were clearly aftermarket & did not even come close to fitting the gen 2mm dia springbars. After blowing me off for weeks, I registered a complaint with Paypal & Ali retaliated by leaving me with the only bad feedback I have ever received.

Mistakes happen, but honest sellers want to make them right. Dishonest sellers just bob & weave.

Yea, this guy isn't responding to emails now. However he has already left me a positive feedback, so I *could* ding him with a negative without worry of retaliation. But if he refunds me, I'll let it go. If not, well, it wasn't an expensive loss. :)

Well Jewelers Tools has responded and offered to send me ALL his 6mm crowns to choose from. He has also already refunded me, so if any of the 6mm crowns in his collection fit my DJ, then I'll repay him and send the rest back.... Gotta say, that's pretty impressive service if he does follow through!

I'd have to agree that Jewelers Tools doesn't have a clue as to which 6mm crown he does have. I did buy one from him and I couldn't screw the stem in, but at that point I just got one from my watchmaker which, of course, was more expensive.

I don't know what his source for Rolex parts is, but when they (the parts) work, it sure is nice!