When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

12 Year Old Boy Gets 1000 Euro Fine For Buying Fake Rolex

chrgod

I received a little shock when I went to the local store today... A picture of a young boy and a rather bad blue-faced Submariner-replica is gracing the front page of Norways biggest newspaper, VG..

A 12 years old boy on journey in Italy with his class, buys a Rolex replica in Firenze and is nicked by the police during a razzia on the market. He and one of his friends are arrested by the police and only released from custody when the teacher agrees to sign that they accept a fine of 1000 Euro each.. :blink: :

The story goes that the boy did not have a watch, but had borrowed his fathers Swatch.. When they arrived in Firenze he saw lot of nice watches on the market at St. Lorenzo plaza, and bought the Rollie for 18 Euro..

74331-31887.jpg

One of his friends managed to conceal his own fake Rollie by hiding it in his underpants! :lol:

The boys family have contacted the Norwegian embassy in Rome, and hopes to get the fine cancelled.

Inside in the paper, there is a pic of a genuine Yacht-Master and the posters in Firenze, warning against purchasing fakes..

74331-31888.jpg

Edited by chrgod

The article tells that the Italian police earns big money by fining tourists who buys replicas... The street dealers are mostly left alone, since there are no money to confiscate.. But far-away-from-home tourists are sure happy to pay a grand or two for getting off the hook.

According to the article, the limit for the fine is 10000 Euro...

....do you belive that a 12 yr old kid knows what a rolex is?

I´m sure they knew it. If not they would have been more after a fancy swatch or G-Shock thing. But that´s another story.

The Italians decided already some time ago to handle it that way. High fines, no mercy! :blink:

They say it´s the only way to get hold of it. Maybe they´re right? Who knows?

On the other hand.... I can´t imagine that the average teacher wouldn´t mention something

like that BEFORE visiting a market place with his class in Italy.

If they bought the watches despite being told not to (we´ll never find out) then if I was one of the (paying) parents would beat the hell out of them when they returned home.

It shouldn't make you wonder, that's Italy, very strong and arrogant with weak people and so inefficient with criminals, hooligans and the mighty.

How come they don't make every effort to prevent street trader from exposing and selling illegal items?

Wouldn't it be easier to avoid misunderstandings?

Edited by ryaku

Buying reps hurts Rolex a LOT.

I wouldn't think it hurts Rolex in this case. A 12-year old kid isn't going to buy a genuine Rolex. But maybe after having a bad rep as a kid (and loving it), he'd purchase a genuine when he was older. Now he just has a bitter experience with Rolex.

Perhaps Rolex should step in, offer to pay the kid's fine, give him a genuine Airking--They'd get great press out of it, not that they need it, but the public would respond well to it. Plus they could use it as an opportunity to say "buying/selling reps hurts our company name. Don't do it. We appreciate the efforts of the Italian authorities and we hope they continue to address this issue on both the buyer and seller front."

Still can't believe they'd press a 12-year old kid on this. That's ludicrous. What about the 32-year old who knowingly sold it to the kid. There's your criminal.

Italy just fell a few notches as a travel destination in my opinion.

Climb on.

I wouldn't think it hurts Rolex in this case. A 12-year old kid isn't going to buy a genuine Rolex.

I don't know if you understand how replicas hurt Rolex.

I've used this example before, so I'll change it to a 12 year old kid instead of a janitor.

Imagine a CEO of a company who wants to buy himself a really cool watch because he just got a $20 grand bonus. He really likes the gold Yachtmaster as it says all sorts of things about him and his love of yachts. On his way to the local Watch Emporium, he spies a kid on a skateboard annoying some old grannies. He sees the 12 year old kid is wearing a Yachtmaster. A gold one, too, just like his dream watch. Damn, that watch is a fake and he realises that he will constantly be asked if his is a fake by his golf buddies. What is the point in buying an exclusive watch if snotty kids can buy them too? He decides to spend the money on an Omega Planet Ocean instead, because the Orange looks dead good next to his life-jacket on his vacht.

Some snotty kid just lost Rolex a sale.

Perhaps Rolex should step in, offer to pay the kid's fine, give him a genuine Airking--They'd get great press out of it, not that they need it, but the public would respond well to it. Plus they could use it as an opportunity to say "buying/selling reps hurts our company name. Don't do it. We appreciate the efforts of the Italian authorities and we hope they continue to address this issue on both the buyer and seller front."

Yeah, because rewarding replica buyers really sends the message home ... :blink:

ps. I tried to respond in a less confrontational manner, but I couldn't without sounding like I didn't really have a clue, so I reverted to the more confrontational edit as it's only an internet forum. :D

No worries about the response. No offense taken. I understand how reps hurt the genuine manufacturers. I just tend to think in this particular case that harassing a 12-year old kid doesn't address the issue. 18 years old, that's a different story, but 12, c'mon.

If you see a gold yachtmaster on a 12-year old (or a TT sub) you know it's a fake. If you see one on a guy who just got a 20K bonus, you can bet it's genuine.

I don't think Rolex should "reward" rep buyers, but they could use this opportunity to create some good press by stating "buying a copy of our watch is every bit as distressful as prosecuting a 12 year old kid. Let's stop this on both fronts and that includes prosecuting the sellers and shutting down these markets." They could bring positive attention to the issue, as well as their company, and perhaps win back that sale they lost to the punk kid on his skateboard. Again, if it were an 18-year old, I'd be singing a different tune. Who can say this kid didn't go in to buy a G-shock and was "shown" the bling. Probably not the case, but in my eye, the seller holds the bulk of the responsibility when it comes to this particular incident. He/she knew it was a crime. The 12-year old from Norway didn't know.

As it stands right now, the authorities, and Rolex by association, look like a bunch of jerks. I was only suggesting that with some well-planned intervention, they could come out ahead publicly and potentially generate more sales as a result.

Climb on.

Edited by Indyclmbr

If the goal is to stamp out reps, you would go after the street vendors. If the goal is to impose stiff fines, but do nothing about the underlying market, go after the tourists.

Arrest and/or kick teh vendors out of the country and you eliminate potentially 50 or more rep sales a day per vendor. Focus on the tourists and you only interdict at best five of those daily sales.

Hypocrites. And busting a 12-year-old kid just underscores the hypocrisy.

Arrest and/or kick teh vendors out of the country and you eliminate potentially 50 or more rep sales a day per vendor. Focus on the tourists and you only interdict at best five of those daily sales.

Ok, while I agree that it's a sad story, there comes a point that you have to stop being outraged and actually think of the logistics and thought that went behind it.

It worked.

Busting a 12 year old kid worked. We're discussing it right here and right now. I'd never even heard of Firenze Market before now, and since some sprog got shafted for a grand, I now know NOT TO BUY REPLICAS there. As long as there is a market, there will be traders. If the tourists don't buy, the markets go away. If the tourists come home with horror stories, they don't buy. Signs everywhere saying "Don't buy replicas here" encourage you to remember the story of the kid with a grand of debt.

Right or wrong, the police have made their stance perfectly clear: No tourists buying reps leads to no traders.

As long as tourists come to buy watches, there will always be hawkers with crappy reps. Arrest one and another takes his place. Remove the tourists and the hawkers go away.

I'd never even heard of Firenze Market before now

This is a section of streets in the tourist district of Florence populated by semi-permanent vendors selling leather goods, scarves, and the usual tourist trinkets. There are also young African street vendors who carry portable tables and set up shop on sidewalks throughout Florence (outside the Uffizi Gallery, for example) to sell cheap umbrellas, sunglasses, lighters, etc., as well as watches. If you show interest to one guy's wares, but he doesn't have what you are looking for, it's likely that someone 10 ft. away does. I'm sure they are well organized and probably work for the same "wholesalers." My last visit to Florence was a few years ago, and I saw the carbinieri either walk right by these displays or, if they are interfering with traffic or regular merchants, they would usher them to set up shop some place else.

(The only thing we bought from them was a couple of $5 umbrellas just as it was starting to rain. Mediocre quality, but they saved us from a downpour, and I think we still have one.)

My point is that the benign tolerance of these vendors sends a message that it is OK to do business with them. If the police really wanted to stop tourists from buying reps, they would crack down on the vendors.

The same could probably be said for places such as Canal Street in NY.

I don't know if you understand how replicas hurt Rolex.

I've used this example before, so I'll change it to a 12 year old kid instead of a janitor.

Imagine a CEO of a company who wants to buy himself a really cool watch because he just got a $20 grand bonus. He really likes the gold Yachtmaster as it says all sorts of things about him and his love of yachts. On his way to the local Watch Emporium, he spies a kid on a skateboard annoying some old grannies. He sees the 12 year old kid is wearing a Yachtmaster. A gold one, too, just like his dream watch. Damn, that watch is a fake and he realises that he will constantly be asked if his is a fake by his golf buddies. What is the point in buying an exclusive watch if snotty kids can buy them too? He decides to spend the money on an Omega Planet Ocean instead, because the Orange looks dead good next to his life-jacket on his vacht.

Some snotty kid just lost Rolex a sale.

Yeah, because rewarding replica buyers really sends the message home ... :blink:

ps. I tried to respond in a less confrontational manner, but I couldn't without sounding like I didn't really have a clue, so I reverted to the more confrontational edit as it's only an internet forum. :D

I think you've used the wrong kind of person in your example. Obviously a CEO would be expected to be able to afford the real thing and would be unlikely to be called out on it. Do you think Alan Sugar or Richard Branson would even get called out on the worst reps if they wore them? Many people wear them as status symbols and no one would question that they have the wealth to afford the real thing.

Substitute CEO for a trainee schoolteacher who wins 20k on the lottery... and then maybe it fits a little better?

Ok, while I agree that it's a sad story, there comes a point that you have to stop being outraged and actually think of the logistics and thought that went behind it.

It worked.

Busting a 12 year old kid worked. We're discussing it right here and right now. I'd never even heard of Firenze Market before now, and since some sprog got shafted for a grand, I now know NOT TO BUY REPLICAS there. As long as there is a market, there will be traders. If the tourists don't buy, the markets go away. If the tourists come home with horror stories, they don't buy. Signs everywhere saying "Don't buy replicas here" encourage you to remember the story of the kid with a grand of debt.

Right or wrong, the police have made their stance perfectly clear: No tourists buying reps leads to no traders.

As long as tourists come to buy watches, there will always be hawkers with crappy reps. Arrest one and another takes his place. Remove the tourists and the hawkers go away.

Very, very good point. Take away the demand and the supply will follow.

Stacks and stacks of unused reps and the vendor goes bankrupt, which means less sales for the factory. When they dry up, the factory won't be able to afford to make any more.

that's pretty sad actually. a 12 year old kid might not even know what he is buying. I guess it goes to show that the Italian police have nothing better to do, which may actually be a good sign. Police in my city are too busy arresting rapists and engaging in high speed chases on the freeway. 12 year old kids buying a replica certainly wouldn't be news in my town ;)

that's pretty sad actually. a 12 year old kid might not even know what he is buying.

No chance.

What were you like aged 12? Now what were you like on school trips?

He knew what he was doing, and there were signs everywhere. He just didn't think he'd get caught. :D