When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

After another trip to the AD.. My all brushed SFSO

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

After the discussion last week and my determination to find out exactly what the all brushed SteelFish was all about... I went back to the AD and asked more questions. And the suggestions stated in the previous thread were correct. The watch ONLY comes from the factory with polished sides and back. BUT, for a mere $550 the watch can be completely disassembled an brushed.

The AD had a brushed Super Ocean there, and the guy was working pretty hard to sell it to me. He explained that it was ordered for a "regular customer" without a deposit, and when the watch came in the buyer didnt want it any longer.

SO, after taking some mental notes...

1. The entire watch is brushed- side brushing runs the length of the watch

2. The bezel is brushed around and not up down.

3. The back is brushed in a straight line running directly in line with the logo (up/down)

4. The interior bezel ring with the notches is still polished.

5. The crown is polished.

So I came home, completely disassembled the watch and pulled out the scotch bright pad. I think the watch looks much better without the polished surfaces... What do you think?

Additionally, please note that the bezel now lines up perfectly and functions as it should. I have no idea how this miraculously happened... I simply put it back together and now it lines up. A word of caution, the bezel DOES just pop off but takes ALOT of force worked around the watch. Make sure to tape off the lugs and bezel. I made some rather deep scratches that took some additional work to get out.

post-7311-1209831782_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831805_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831819_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831839_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831860_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831878_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831895_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831909_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1209831923_thumb.jpg

Nice job ! :D

The bezel alignment issue solved is in my eyes the only flaw I'd like to settle. As wrong as it might be, I have a little preference for the polished sides.

Question of taste for sure.

But I admire those who can diassemble and REASSEMBLE their rep, especially when it's a complicated piece.

Kudos to you ! :D

I'm curious to know which tool you used to pry the bezel off...A butter knife, a jeweler's knife, a switch-blade?

I've tried using a small pairing knife in the past, but I'm always afraid of either bending the bezel or snapping the blade in my hand.

Guest carlsbadrolex
I'm curious to know which tool you used to pry the bezel off...A butter knife, a jeweler's knife, a switch-blade?

I've tried using a small pairing knife in the past, but I'm always afraid of either bending the bezel or snapping the blade in my hand.

I have a dulled down Henkels fruit knife that I use. its slightly curved, sharp enough to get under the bezel but not sharp enough to slice off a finger tip.

I started at the 12 oclock, when it just began to lift I moved over to the 9, and then the 6 and then the 3. By the time I got back to the 12 it practically fell off in my hand. Getting it back on was actually harder than getting it off.

And I still dont know what I did to get it to line up properly... I didnt purposely change anything.

It looks , "different " now, and if you like it that way fine, and a job well done.

I still prefer the contrast between the polished areas and the brushed areas.

Casebacks, I allways prefer polished , as the sweat disappears easier.

Also a fair bit of metal would have come off the serial no.