When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Was Called Out On My Rep Today

the_man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was called out on my arktos few days ago, but instead, I took the watch off, handed it to him and said. "Ok, tell me why you think my watch is a rep."

He pointed out that the watch has a rubber strap LOL!! I pointed out that the Arktos does in fact have a rubber strap. That's about all he could point out. Pretty funny actually. Gave me the watch back and looked real stupid.

I've been called out 2-3 times by strangers. You wouldn't believe how effective it is to ask them "You think this is a rep?" and look them straight in the eye. Each time they responded "Wow that's a real......!" Even if they are knowledgeable, they back off thinking you were given or sold a fake .

I think most people quick to challenge authenticity are pretty familliar with being fake thamselves.

Sounds like you ran into a real life Biff (anyone see Back to the Future). But why did you turn this person onto this place? :yuk: $5 says his first post is "who has the best sub". :lol:

What I want to know is where do people find other folks who "call out" reps? Would you really ask this question to a stranger?

you've told him about this forum!....well if someone behave like that i would definitely give him a few links to rep sites that would rip him off...he deserved that kind of lesson because he can afford himself a rip off!

well, you definitely were too polite and gave him a link that should been payed....

Personally, I do not agree with the majority of replies here -- a little with kanerich's and Quark's.

I feel as that guy was not trying to call out anyone on a rep, but that he could be a honest rep lover. Unfortunately not an educated one, and with quite a goofy way to start a conversation on reps.

100% he did not spot the rep, he just stroke in the dark and casually hit the point.

I think you did the best by acting the way you did.

Personally, I do not agree with the majority of replies here -- a little with kanerich's and Quark's.

I feel as that guy was not trying to call out anyone on a rep, but that he could be a honest rep lover. Unfortunately not an educated one, and with quite a goofy way to start a conversation on reps.

100% he did not spot the rep, he just stroke in the dark and casually hit the point.

I think you did the best by acting the way you did.

I agree with the last bit. I mean, if calling someone out on a rep is 6 out of 10 for inappropriate public behavior, cursing people out or inflicting bodily harm in retaliation for being mildly embarrassed is what, 18 out of 10? Better to just let things slide, you'll save yourself a stroke down the line.

I was once called out in Vegas for wearing a gen TT datejust, a graduation gift from my father. The guy saw me, a guy in his mid-twenties playing blackjack at a $10 table and decided to give me a hard time. I just shrugged and said "think what you want, we both know you can't tell real from fake so this discussion is a waste of my time." He didn't have any response to that because he knew that was true.

Edited by kanerich

I know its selfish, but I kinda like that we have an "exclusive" window with dealers and access to good info on reps. Not everyone is willing to spend $600 on a rep, but if everyone knew the truth, more people would be wearing good reps, making responses like "wow that a rep, I cant believe it" more rare, which makes our reps more believable and "exclusive" since most rep wearers will have a cheap asian crap rep. This is exactly the opposite point of reps, i know.

So I'm sitting on a bench at Water Tower Place in Chicago awhile ago, drinking my coffee, reading the Trib and minding my own business, when a guido-ish trader type sits down at the table next to me. We give each other the "hey howya doin" guy-nod and I get back to my paper. I'm about half-way throught the sports section when I hear Guido go, "Hey, nice Sub," in reference to my Sub. I smile broadly and say, "thanks - it's two years older than I am," which usually gets a smile. This is where Guido springs his intricate, well-planned trap. He counters with "I would have guessed it was made in Shanghai two months ago." I was totally dumbfounded, and not a little [censored] at this slick Rick calling out a watch I've owned for over 15 years, a watch I bought from one of the most reliable watch dealers in the city, a watch that has been serviced by Rolex in Dallas, a watch I had serviced at Torneau but one week earlier, a fake.

And that's when it hit me. I told the guy "I'd like to show you something." He gets a little weary. "What?' I say "See that store over there? That's Tourneau." Come on in with me. I walk in, the sales associate greets me by name. The guy is starting to get a little pale. Take off my Sub and hand it to the sales guy. "Could you please explain to this gentleman that this watch is a genuine one? He looks at it for ten seconds and goes, "Of course it is, we just had it in here last week. 5512, made in the third quarter of 1961, pointed crown guards, 5xxxxxx series. 1560 movement. Beautiful watch."

I thank the sales guy, put the watch back on and start to walk past the Guido. But at the last second, to save face, he blurts out "Well, it didn't have metal rings around the hour markers." I just smiled politely and said, "If you think that's a dead giveaway for a fake Rolex, you may want to learn more about the subject matter," and walked the hell out. It's not often you can get to smack down a guy like that. I just walked off, smiling.

Sounds like you ran into a real life Biff (anyone see Back to the Future). But why did you turn this person onto this place? :yuk: $5 says his first post is "who has the best sub". :lol:

What I want to know is where do people find other folks who "call out" reps? Would you really ask this question to a stranger?

LOL !!!!! LOL !!!!!! :Jumpy::Jumpy:

This is where Guido springs his intricate, well-planned trap. He counters with "I would have guessed it was made in Shanghai two months ago."

And that's when it hit me. I told the guy "I'd like to show you something." He gets a little weary. "What?' I say "See that store over there? That's Tourneau." Come on in with me. I walk in, the sales associate greets me by name. The guy is starting to get a little pale. Take off my Sub and hand it to the sales guy. "Could you please explain to this gentleman that this watch is a genuine one? He looks at it for ten seconds and goes, "Of course it is, we just had it in here last week. 5512, made in the third quarter of 1961, pointed crown guards, 5xxxxxx series. 1560 movement. Beautiful watch."

BRAVO!

I asked him how much he paid for it, he said "$600.

WHAT A JACKASS !!!!!!

1st he punks himself by chatting up a storm with you and having no, "think before speaking" skills. THEN...... he shows his stupidity by paying $600 for his watch.

Ok, when he shows up here......... send Chris my way. I would LOVE to be his dealer. I’m in the USA and I will be HAPPY to overnight fed ex his watch to him for $1.00 USD. Hell, I will throw in FREE FED EX if he buys 2.

What an idiot.

If I was Steven Spielbergo I would include that scene in my forthcoming movie! Fokkin' love it! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

So I'm sitting on a bench at Water Tower Place in Chicago awhile ago, drinking my coffee, reading the Trib and minding my own business, when a guido-ish trader type sits down at the table next to me. We give each other the "hey howya doin" guy-nod and I get back to my paper. I'm about half-way throught the sports section when I hear Guido go, "Hey, nice Sub," in reference to my Sub. I smile broadly and say, "thanks - it's two years older than I am," which usually gets a smile. This is where Guido springs his intricate, well-planned trap. He counters with "I would have guessed it was made in Shanghai two months ago." I was totally dumbfounded, and not a little [censored] at this slick Rick calling out a watch I've owned for over 15 years, a watch I bought from one of the most reliable watch dealers in the city, a watch that has been serviced by Rolex in Dallas, a watch I had serviced at Torneau but one week earlier, a fake.

I thank the sales guy, put the watch back on and start to walk past the Guido. But at the last second, to save face, he blurts out "Well, it didn't have metal rings around the hour markers." I just smiled politely and said, "If you think that's a dead giveaway for a fake Rolex, you may want to learn more about the subject matter," and walked the hell out. It's not often you can get to smack down a guy like that. I just walked off, smiling.

thats awsome! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Is that a replica BMW?

Replica as in, not an M3? It's a real bimmer, but no not an M3. M3's are a bit wider in the rear than the standard coupes, plus it doesn't have the kidneys on the sides and the mirros are e36 M3 style. But I don't think he was trying to make it look like an M3 anyways. It looks clean the way it is, I like it.

Virgil, great story. I was in Tourneau at Water Tower Place just a few hours ago. Randy the nice sales lady helped me look around, showed me a couple of beautiful IWC pieces, a Ulysses Nardin, several Panerai's and a Corum. I always stop by there any time I'm near Water Tower. Love the service...