When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$1000 for a bit of brass

Nanuq

Who here knows how to work brass and then plate it?

I bet this bezel goes for $1,000 before the bidding is over. I'm tempted to buy it, have someone here make me

a few *cough* copies and then sell it again.

6536 bezel

And so I ask... WHY ISN'T ANYONE MAKING AFTERMARKET PIECES OUT OF PLATED BRASS?

Michael Young has lovely steel bezels for a song. Why not "aged" plated brass?

C'mon... make a mold with a centrifuge, melt some brass, pour it, pop it out, work it over... presto.

Four thooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuusand dollars. You'd think someone would jump at this.

Here's what Ziggy can do with a rough/stock MY bezel... very pretty but no "brass" showing.

bond_sub_dome.jpg

Ma bad.. not lost wax.. that is done from scratch.. been a while.. just casting and molding equipment would suffice for this piece.. it's the trimming and buffing that would take some time..

plating.. are you thinking of chromium ?.. if you are.. it would take a copper base then a nickel coat then the chrome.. very hard to find plating for this nowday's usually Arizona Texas.. it cost thousands of dollars to get rid of the HAZMAT asfter plating.. it will never evaporate.. you usually look in motorcycle mags for chomium plating services.. one place here closed up after they would have to pay 100,000.00 usd for 10- 55 gallon barrels of waste..

anyone think of lost wax process jewelers use ? seems like brass would be easy to trim and work after the casting..

shoot a rubber mold.. cast it.. any jeweler with casting equipment can do this one..

Using the lost wax process, and an original bezel............ a shrinkage % would have to be factored in.

I think usually it `s about 7%- 9%

This factor would only have to be applied to the outer dia, as , when the inner dia. shrinks it can be machined out to size.

Sorry , that last sentance is wrong, the thing would shrink all over. ( It wouldn`t be cast anyway ).

Ma bad.. not lost wax.. that is done from scratch.. been a while.. just casting and molding equipment would suffice for this piece.. it's the trimming and buffing that would take some time..

The surface finish on straight sand casting is fairly course, too much for this application.

I think you can forget chrome plating, very hard and cold looking in appearance, Straight nickel plating is much softer, and easier to age.

The surface finish on straight sand casting is fairly course, too much for this application.

I think you can forget chrome plating, very hard and cold looking in appearance, Straight nickel plating is much softer, and easier to age.

makes sense.. forgot that this is not a jewel like piece in appearance.. so the edge would be the only area that would need to be refined.. ok so nickel.. nickel is darker than polished SS,.. actually can look like "show chrome" ..mmmm ... this would have to be tested i guess by trial and error

it's a good idea to mold it then resell it.. worst is.. to find plating that would match genuine..

makes sense.. forgot that this is not a jewel like piece in appearance.. so the edge would be the only area that would need to be refined.. ok so nickel.. nickel is darker than polished SS,.. actually can look like "show chrome" ..mmmm ... this would have to be tested i guess by trial and error

it's a good idea to mold it then resell it.. worst is.. to find plating that would match genuine..

Just re-thought the manufacturing,.........forget casting, lost wax or otherwise.

The handling and machining is too much of a hassle and time consuming.

This whole bezel could be machined from thick walled brass tubing, turned to the exact dia., milled on the outer edge with the correct no. of spacings, with the inner dia, and recess machined in the lathe then finally parted off.

The only other operation would be machining the outer face of the bezel, with a slight curvature.

Even that could be adjusted on one side of the parting tool.

So the only thing left is the plating.

Who here knows how to work brass and then plate it?

I bet this bezel goes for $1,000 before the bidding is over. I'm tempted to buy it, have someone here make me

a few *cough* copies and then sell it again.

6536 bezel

This could be a real goer, but this original or some other would have to be sourced to be able to copy, can`t make this from pics. like the Chinese sometimes manufacture our reps.

A straightforward fabrication and machining operation would be the simplest method, ( see my last post further up )

The other question is just how much of a demand is there for these?

There are at least 6 other bidders willing to pay $380 so far, with $100 shipping :lol: to Australia.

am I the only one here who doesnt know why this is so expensive, and coveted....Why brass, not ss, ?

Original and Rare.

This type of bezel was made well before SS, was used.

Also if these are to be made, and made in SS, they would stand out like the proverbial dog`s balls, and couldn`t be passed off as "GENUINE". :D

These are already being made... but officially. I know a guy here in Canada that is actually authorized by Rolex to make them. I'm not joking. I met him a while back and when I visited his shop, he showed me a couple of his bezels that he made. They are exact copies. When used as replacement, they are registered with Rolex Geneva and recognized as official replacement parts. He said he is the only independent tech that is authorized to do this. He makes a lot of rare parts and has a complete CNC set up in his shop.

These are already being made... but officially. I know a guy here in Canada that is actually authorized by Rolex to make them. I'm not joking. I met him a while back and when I visited his shop, he showed me a couple of his bezels that he made. They are exact copies. When used as replacement, they are registered with Rolex Geneva and recognized as official replacement parts. He said he is the only independent tech that is authorized to do this. He makes a lot of rare parts and has a complete CNC set up in his shop.

new thread:

Guy in CANADA starts Ultimate/perfect Rolex reps...$700 a pop...

I'd buy one...

Wow, I go for a bike ride in the snow and mud, come home and there's all this interest! Keep up the good ideas!

So how much for the Canadian "genuine" bezel, eh?

I know a guy in Seattle that can do it. He will need one for the casting correctness. I also regularly use a plating shop that does excellent work. $150 minimum to plate but that would include many pieces.

Jim

This bezel will not come out sucessfully if CAST,

The internal dia. / recess / and circlip recess would need re-machining.