When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

panerai crown s/s

dadog13

:rolleyes: Yeah, maybe he is insane but he also bought item #220236947656. Lets assume that he already has a complete Jimmy Fu caseset, including CG, bought ages ago at $150 complete with crystal (that's what Jimmy sold tham for a couple of years ago). Add an ETA movement and solid caseback and you have an ultimate 003B for between $800 and $850 - still sound completely insane? - check out the price of a new gen!!! This would be a watch that feels and functions 100% like a gen and all the parts will fit together properly. Now (hypothetically you understand) to really top this off he could already have an ex-Hamilton 6497-2 which would mean that even if a hardened 'Risti was to hold this watch to his/her ear it would also sound right. ;)

Yeah, you're right, he's nuts but he's in good company here.

Edited by PAMman

:rolleyes: Yeah, maybe he is insane but he also bought item #220236947656. Lets assume that he already has a complete Jimmy Fu caseset, including CG, bought ages ago at $150 complete with crystal (that's what Jimmy sold tham for a couple of years ago). Add an ETA movement and solid caseback and you have an ultimate 003B for between $800 and $850 - still sound completely insane? - check out the price of a new gen!!! This would be a watch that feels and functions 100% like a gen and all the parts will fit together properly. Now (hypothetically you understand) to really top this off he could already have an ex-Hamilton 6497-2 which would mean that even if a hardened 'Risti was to hold this watch to his/her ear it would also sound right. ;)

Yeah, you're right, he's nuts but he's in good company here.

All of the Swiss 6497-1s I have suffer from a bit of crown wind-back, i.e. after you release the crown from a turn it springs back in the opposite direction a small amount. Neither of my gen PAMs do this, they seem to have some sort of catch that prevents it. I don't know if that is a function of all 6497-2s or if it is something that SOPROD does?

Any thoughts on that, PAMman?

P-Man, you have just painted a perfect scenario where it makes sense. But I have to say that you can buy crowns from an AD for substantially less (albeit you have to own a gen in the first place). But I just bought 2 manual wind crowns for under $150 (total, not each).

And no guys, I can't get anymore. :lol:

P-Man, you have just painted a perfect scenario where it makes sense. But I have to say that you can buy crowns from an AD for substantially less (albeit you have to own a gen in the first place). But I just bought 2 manual wind crowns for under $150 (total, not each).

I bought my first gen crowns that way but can't get any more as Panerai won't supply parts to anyone now. In fact I was able to buy a gen crown and stem for $25, ordered for my 111F, but those days seem to be over.

Kruzer, you wanna PM me the story, here? I've got a gen 002D I'd like to order another crown and CG for. ;)

Kruzer, you wanna PM me the story, here? I've got a gen 002D I'd like to order another crown and CG for. ;)

i em almost 100% sure you can not order watch parts if your watch crown or cg is not faulty atleast from panerai,iwc and such brands.

No story to tell. I just bought them privately. But haven't you folks ever noticed all the seconds and parts showing up on the web? Where do you think they come from? ;)

No story to tell. I just bought them privately. But haven't you folks ever noticed all the seconds and parts showing up on the web? Where do you think they come from? ;)

As late as 18 months - 2 years ago Panerai still had a very close relationship with a few enthusiasts who were probably instrumental in the brand being promoted in the US - we're talking about the most respected names amongst collectors and on the 'Risti boards. As a result, parts were more readily available to these guys than they were to ADs, if indeed ADs could even order parts at all. I had a very rare dial and one of these guys contacted me about it and when I told him that I was planning to build it into a watch as soon as I could gather up all the parts that I needed he offered to order anything that I needed. At that stage al I needed was a stem and crown and he ordered these, using the case number of my 111F. The stem and crown cost me a mere $25 and it was posted to me before I paid anything at all. I had to email him to find out how much I owed.

If you have a good relationship with your AD and you bought your watch from there you can order gen parts even today ;)

Tried that Kostas, my problem is that there isn't even an AD in Ireland and anyhow I have bought my gens pre-owned so it was a 'no go' for me.

I received my crowns today. With a jimmy case and tube they fits perfectly. So maybe they are worth $276.00 ;)

Nice one, glad they fit! I've just received a SS crown for a project I'm working on (sealed OEM pack for a mere $79!), although I need to sort the tube out - Jimmy is out of them, so looks like a modding job is required.

Does anybody understand Panerai reference numbers? I know the MX... is the newer MX series, however the package for my crown has the code VC070212 B - any ideas? It seems to be real, seems to be for a manual and seems to be a good buy!

Nice one, glad they fit! I've just received a SS crown for a project I'm working on (sealed OEM pack for a mere $79!), although I need to sort the tube out - Jimmy is out of them, so looks like a modding job is required.

Try one of DSN's tubes for his latest crown - it seems to be the same as Jimmy Fu's.

Try one of DSN's tubes for his latest crown - it seems to be the same as Jimmy Fu's.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. I still need a 44m case (for a certain Pre-V project ;) ) so I'll maybe sort this out at the same time. I'm not sold on DSN cases, but it may make my life easier to buy the lot together. Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep that in mind. I still need a 44m case (for a certain Pre-V project ;) ) so I'll maybe sort this out at the same time. I'm not sold on DSN cases, but it may make my life easier to buy the lot together. Cheers!

Ross, if you're planning using this crown for your preV then the best starting point would be one of the regular 44mm rep cases which were originally fitted with the 'wobbly' sprung crown. These cases are a good shape for the preV with more rounded lugs and they are already fitted with a tube which fits DSN's sprung crown, so I assume that it should suit the gen crown as well. DSN's & JF's tubes seems to be the same size and I have tried one of DSN's crowns in the rep casetube and it fits perfectly. I don't have a gen crown loose at the moment to try it out.

here we go again :

another listing for a gen crown...this guy has original PAM hands too...so the heavy rep collectors, creators of nice frankens...here is your chance to bid again...he claims to have crowns for bith auto and manual wind PAMs

item nr. 200227151759

item nr. 200227152991

here we go again :

another listing for a gen crown...this guy has original PAM hands too...so the heavy rep collectors, creators of nice frankens...here is your chance to bid again...he claims to have crowns for bith auto and manual wind PAMs

item nr. 200227151759

item nr. 200227152991

I was afraid this might happen :angry: