When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are all watchsmiths rude ?

Chaotik

I just received my first rep purchase.

It's a 42mm PO with SS bracelet. I'm very happy with it but the bracelet is too long.

I ordered a pin pusher tool but it's not here yet so I figured I would get someone to do it for me so I can wear the damn thing right away.

I went to one place downtown Montreal. The guy there was asian and looked annoyed that I was there.

He told me he hates being interrupted in his work and doesn't waste time with removing links. I then asked if I could come back on a better time and he told me there was no better time.

At this point, he had not looked at the watch very closely so he could not have guessed it was a rep.

Then I called another place to see if they were opened. Obviously, over the phone no way to tell it's a rep.

I simply asked if they would do it and how much they charge.

The answer I got was also rude and basically was along the lines that he could not answer me over the phone and I had to go in person.

As for pricing, it depends on the watch. He made me sound like a moron for even asking..

He said he wasn't a shoemaker but a watchmaker... not sure what that has to do with it but whatever...

is this normal ? Should I just tell them to go **** themselves ? anyone knows of a good place in the Montreal region where people actually view a customer walking in your place of business as a good thing and an opportunity to make a few bucks instead of a mere annoyance ?

Thanks !

Chaotik

I should add that I'm going after a small mom and pop shop.

The one I've been too looked liked from another era. Like a dirty workshop with parts everywhere.

I've also been to a super swell looking place that looked like it was Omega certified or something (Omega logo on the door). Needless to say I just turned around as I assumed they would be likely to detect the rep and turn me around...

I've had good luck with the generic watch and jewlery repair chains that are all over California in the shopping malls. They sell Invictas and Seikos and such, and charged me about $10 to take a link out.

At both places, the guy was courteous and seemed impressed with my UPO but asked why I didn't take it to Ben Bridge where they swap links for free.

i'd recommend getting getting a pin tool set and springbar tool so you can change out your own straps and links - its very easy to do.

re: to watchsmiths - they are very undervalued and provide an amazing service for what is now pennies - Frankly i'd be bitter as well

its kind of like constantly calling a lawyers office and saying hey, i had this fake lawyer draw me up some papers, can i pay you a few peanuts to correct some spelling errors

i hit alot of dead ends till i found one - but, he needed my services and were friendly now, but it takes time and luck. He has helped me out and also put a scratch in on eof my pvd cases - what are you gonna do right? :) pay big up front and the you can demand more at the backend if there is something wrong

I just received my first rep purchase.

It's a 42mm PO with SS bracelet. I'm very happy with it but the bracelet is too long.

I ordered a pin pusher tool but it's not here yet so I figured I would get someone to do it for me so I can wear the damn thing right away.

I went to one place downtown Montreal. The guy there was asian and looked annoyed that I was there.

He told me he hates being interrupted in his work and doesn't waste time with removing links. I then asked if I could come back on a better time and he told me there was no better time.

At this point, he had not looked at the watch very closely so he could not have guessed it was a rep.

Then I called another place to see if they were opened. Obviously, over the phone no way to tell it's a rep.

I simply asked if they would do it and how much they charge.

The answer I got was also rude and basically was along the lines that he could not answer me over the phone and I had to go in person.

As for pricing, it depends on the watch. He made me sound like a moron for even asking..

He said he wasn't a shoemaker but a watchmaker... not sure what that has to do with it but whatever...

is this normal ? Should I just tell them to go **** themselves ? anyone knows of a good place in the Montreal region where people actually view a customer walking in your place of business as a good thing and an opportunity to make a few bucks instead of a mere annoyance ?

Thanks !

Chaotik

You are from Montr

I had one mental local grandpa watchsmith give me quite the disciplinary session; first over the phone, then in person. When I called him, he told me I insulted him by asking him whether he knew how to re-align the hands on a 2836-2 movement because "HE IS A MASTER WATCH MAKER 30 YEARS OLD IN BUSINESS" Before I hung up the phone he told me I "sound stupid like a Lebanese" (???) and I should be a lawyer because I talk too much.

So I gave him the benefit of the doubt, partly because I wanted to meet this insane person. I went over to his house, which was filled with clocks and, for some reason, giant lemons (his other hobby). I showed him my broken rep day-date with the misaligned hands, and he proceeded to examine it very carefully. Then he said something in his native Ukrainian and asked me "do you know what that means...?" "No, sir" I replied. ... "It means this watch is a PIECE OF S---!"

He spent about 15 minutes telling me how busy he was, and then he called his wife over to "BRING ME A LOUPE. NOW." So his wife brought him 2 loupes, to which he growled at the top of his lungs until veins began protruding from his neck: "I DON'T NEED TWO LOUPES" (He stretched the "two loupes" out really long - toooooo looooooopes)

Then he showed me his watch which basically looked identical to a submariner and he told me he designed it himself to the highest standards of quality... it was a quartz... ehhh "that's nice" I said. He told me that a genuine day-date costs $75,000 and he knew a supreme court judge who had one (???). He told me that by buying "cheap chinatown junk" I was taking away his business and he was losing money (what?) and that I should be ashamed of myself.

Eventually he told me the service would cost $45 but I told him it was too expensive since people on the internet told me it should be a few minute job costing no more than $10... oh christ then he went ballistic and proceeded to lecture me about how everybody on the internet claims to be an expert and they are all retarded shut-ins and for some reason after he told me he built his (generic looking) house with his own two hands (gesturing as if he was building something).

So I apologized for wasting his time, and got the f--- out of that coo coo clock shop as fast as my legs could carry me... I'll never forget him ' Urlich ' or something was his name. Ugh.

I also went to a shopping mall watchsmith, who just told me he doesn't fix imitations and that's been the normal reply of all the local shops I've visited.

O_o I've only had good experience with watch smiths, I took my 1st rep, the UPO "Lite" to a watch smith to fix the movement because the seconds hand stopped @ 10 o'clock. Well, I took the watch, gave it to him, asked me what the problem was and told me that he would call me to tell me the price. Two days after that I get the call that the watch is ready, he oiled the movement and told me a broken part from the movement that was the cause of the jam (which he also replaced), when I went there to pick up the watch he gave it to me and charged me.... $30! He commented on how nice the watch was and also asked me if I wanted to have it resized, "how much?" I asked, he replied "oh don't worry it's free", he also gave me a 6 month warranty. =) Nicest watch smith ever!

BTW the UPO Lite is running like a charm.

@ Chaotik,

Hope you get your bracelet sized and sorted, unfortunately there are many pig ignorant people in all

walks of life, however, should you decide to go the DIY route with the pin extractor,

Just make sure that the hardened pusher in the tool is lined up perfectly with the pin , OR IT WILL BREAK.

Secondly what no one has mentioned is ,

Make sure you push the link pin out THE RIGHT DIRECTION as one end of the pin is ENLARGED.

Hope this makes sense to you.

I had one mental local grandpa watchsmith give me quite the disciplinary session; first over the phone, then in person. When I called him, he told me I insulted him by asking him whether he knew how to re-align the hands on a 2836-2 movement because "HE IS A MASTER WATCH MAKER 30 YEARS OLD IN BUSINESS" Before I hung up the phone he told me I "sound stupid like a Lebanese" (???) and I should be a lawyer because I talk too much.

So I gave him the benefit of the doubt, partly because I wanted to meet this insane person. I went over to his house, which was filled with clocks and, for some reason, giant lemons (his other hobby). I showed him my broken rep day-date with the misaligned hands, and he proceeded to examine it very carefully. Then he said something in his native Ukrainian and asked me "do you know what that means...?" "No, sir" I replied. ... "It means this watch is a PIECE OF S---!"

He spent about 15 minutes telling me how busy he was, and then he called his wife over to "BRING ME A LOUPE. NOW." So his wife brought him 2 loupes, to which he growled at the top of his lungs until veins began protruding from his neck: "I DON'T NEED TWO LOUPES" (He stretched the "two loupes" out really long - toooooo looooooopes)

Then he showed me his watch which basically looked identical to a submariner and he told me he designed it himself to the highest standards of quality... it was a quartz... ehhh "that's nice" I said. He told me that a genuine day-date costs $75,000 and he knew a supreme court judge who had one (???). He told me that by buying "cheap chinatown junk" I was taking away his business and he was losing money (what?) and that I should be ashamed of myself.

Eventually he told me the service would cost $45 but I told him it was too expensive since people on the internet told me it should be a few minute job costing no more than $10... oh christ then he went ballistic and proceeded to lecture me about how everybody on the internet claims to be an expert and they are all retarded shut-ins and for some reason after he told me he built his (generic looking) house with his own two hands (gesturing as if he was building something).

So I apologized for wasting his time, and got the f--- out of that coo coo clock shop as fast as my legs could carry me... I'll never forget him ' Urlich ' or something was his name. Ugh.

I also went to a shopping mall watchsmith, who just told me he doesn't fix imitations and that's been the normal reply of all the local shops I've visited.

It was one of the funniest posts I

Seems like you've already forgotten his name :lol:

You should have got him to fix your Big Bang :p

I have found that many true "watchmakers" or at least a person largely more advanced than the average mall kiosk worker has a similar attitude then that of a computer repair technician. While this may seem stereotypical I can promise you... well.. it probably is... but there is a great degree of truth behind it.

What you have in both situations are people who know a great deal more about their craft or art than the lay, and because your electronic or wrist life depends on their skill, you WILL worship the ground they walk on and you will be reminded how important they are and how little you know, by them, repeatedly.

Bet you wish you ordered your pin pusher a little earlier! lol

You may find that the pin on that pusher is a little too short for the po strap ( i have the same set) but is good for starting the bracelet pin moving, the use the hammer and the drift to get it all the way out, have a good search about the forum on a tutorial for the PO bracelet as they can be a pain to resize. Omega (and the reps) use a pin and sleve configuration in the bracelets, i personaly use two tools one the same as you will get in the set and one with a longer thinner pin to push the bracelet pin all the way out.

I think for a bracelet sizing, you should find a mall kiosk type shop.

They will be nice and charge a very small fee. Some watch bracelets are easy others area pain in the ass, I have done all mine myself with the exception of the wife Ceramic Chanel, whivh I didn't want to touch.

Sounds like the watchsmiths you talked to didn't care to take on such a simple job and when you asked about price it got them mad becuase if they did it it would as a favor and they would likely not charge or be a $10 charge.

Don't mean to take their side, and I am not saying that is a good attitude to have just pointing out that they don't make any money resizing bracelets and if they really are a trained watchsmith would want to work on more complex type repairs.

That said any watch repair place probably makes more money changing quartz batteries than any other task.

Would you be mad if The Zigmeister didn't answer your PM or email about resizing a bracelet...

Cheers,

M

the PO bracelet as they can be a pain to resize. Omega (and the reps) use a pin and sleve configuration in the bracelets

The PO bracelet is a real pain in the *** to resize, I even broke my pin pusher on these pins and a pins by removing by pulling it with a plier (these pins are very fragile). I'll never bother to resize a bracelet again. IMHO, bring it to watchsmith, and pay. Anyway, it's only a one shot adjustment. The BEST bracelet to adjust is the IWC, THIS IS the best system pin design mechanism that I know, after screw.

The BEST bracelet to adjust is the IWC, THIS IS the best system pin design mechanism that I know, after screw.

I think I prefer this method to using screws... the screws can get stripped! The IWC system can be adjusted using two toothpicks (as I think Pugwash demonstrated once) :)