When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage SM300 Rep?

whitestripes

Hi guys,

I'm after a watch that is/looks like/rep of this:

4284576098.jpg

The old, venerable SM300 from the past, with beautiful domed acrylic crystal and that vintage look. It would make a beautiful companion for my gen speedy pro. However, prices on the originals are sky high, even if you don't get a fake that you paid top $$ for, and the WatchCo NOS is at $2600 Australian, which is a pretty penny.

That turned my attention to the Precista PRS-14, a nice homage.

14front.jpg

pocket2ef2.jpg

However, they run about $650 new, more than I want to pay, especially when I can get NICE ETA reps at $225, and this isn't even an Omega!

I have also considered a mkii modded Seiko SKX007 to look the part:

seskx007k_o_300.jpg

That would run me an estimated $150 for watch, $130 for parts, and whatever labor to install... looking at $300 and still a Seiko, which I don't mind, but I don't like the "cushion" case and 4 o'clock crown.

This leaves me looking for a rep, or saving up for the Precista. Please tell me there are reps. (I know there are reps, but they are ALWAYS sold as gens on eBay for way too much).

Help!

I remember seeing rather good replicas of these.. A very good looking watch, the PO has taken some design clues from this.

I think one of the easiest tells of the fake is the "A" in "Waterproof" on the caseback. On the genuine it has flat top, but on the fake it is pointed.

EDIT: Here is a link. <br>

hxxp://reviews.ebay.com/How-to-Spot-a-Fake-Vintage-Omega-Seamaster-300_W0QQugidZ10000000000958528?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:2

It's an awesome watch for sure, and, before I went over to PAMs, one I really wanted to try and acquire.

I forget the exact detail, but I seem to remember another of the tells, was that the reps had some kind of 'line' at the top of the large indices. Either the gen or the rep (I can't remember which) had the line touching the indice, the other didn't... If anyone else who knows the watch better could chime in, it'd be helpfull :) I'd still like to get one for my overall collection, I think it's just a case of playing the 'waiting game' for one to appear on the bay :)

It's an awesome watch for sure, and, before I went over to PAMs, one I really wanted to try and acquire.

I forget the exact detail, but I seem to remember another of the tells, was that the reps had some kind of 'line' at the top of the large indices. Either the gen or the rep (I can't remember which) had the line touching the indice, the other didn't... If anyone else who knows the watch better could chime in, it'd be helpfull :) I'd still like to get one for my overall collection, I think it's just a case of playing the 'waiting game' for one to appear on the bay :)

Yep, this is described in the eBay guide...

Vintage Seamaster 300 fake vs gen guide

Like many other models, reps of the SM300 are passed off on eBay as the gen all the time. These reps are easily available.

UNLIKE other models, reps of the SM300 are not available to us, though it is obvious that they are being made. I could most definitely live with some of the flaws in the watch, as long as the beautiful case, dial, and acrylic crystal were there. However, I can't pay the gen price for the gen, much less for a rep.

The big difference is: the gens that we want reps of but can't get (IWC Mark XVI comes to mind) is because they do not have rep counterparts, as good ones don't exist. The SM300 is widely known as the most "tampered with" watch on eBay, which means there are either complete reps, or many aftermarket parts that fit the bill, which I'm sure a rep manufacturer could work with to make a rep of the entire article. The reps exist--why can't someone source them at a non-gen price?!

Sadly,

VN fakes are all over eBay selling as gens to people that don't take the time to learn about them. I was at a NAWCC mart recently and one member had one for sale at $2,500, the 165.014 back. It had a gen 552 movement and everything else was rep.

Read and it will help you: http://www.scubawatch.org/hallofshame.html

He read the website and fessed up that he had paid 1,800 for it on the Bay.

I saw a "Gen" Rolex Orange Hand that appeared gen until I checked the SN. No such number existed. Another sad dealer.

Frankly, I just don't think there is a market for a rep of more than probably a couple of hundred SM 300's as the current really stand out by their mistakes.

Jim

Jim

I gather these fakes and the Blancpains are not made in China...hence we can't get them. It really makes me mad to see people paying upwards of two grand for that same fake BP that comes up every few weeks. Looks like a Precista case plus a custom dial.

We have members who frequent the infamous German boards. Perhaps they know the source?

• 6 months later...

Apparently Eddie is working on making a few other watches at the moment, hopefully he will get round to making the 14 again at some point because it is a real beauty! I have read excellent things about his watches, top build quality that you would expect of Omega/Rolex etc... for a lot less!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...