When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CONUS only ?

The U.S. government says a LOT of things... But in any event they are speaking of incoming shipments - Customs and Border Control does not inspect outgoing shipments. Only the TSA does that and only then for security purposes on commercial carriers.

Other than possibly losing the watch, there is no risk to any U.S. citizen sending a watch to fellow board member living in Europe. Period.

Well spoken JohnG.

Every time I offer a watch for sale, I state EU preferred, but I'll sell to anyone outside the EU at their risk, with their choice of postage. As long as I don't have to carry the risk, a sale to the US (and I've done a few) is the same as a sale to the EU, only with a slightly longer wait.

:rofl:

Ok so cite even one case where punitive action has been taken against a U.S. citizen for shipping a single replica watch to another country at the request of that country's customs service.

If there is even ONE case I will admit there is some (be it minimal) risk.

Edited by JohnG

Ok so cite even one case where punitive action has been taken against a U.S. citizen for shipping a single replica watch to another country at the request of that country's customs service.

If there is even ONE case I will admit there is some (be it minimal) risk.

In which case, there is no more (or less!) risk in sending a rep across EU country borders than sending one from or to the CONUS.

In which case, there is no more (or less!) risk in sending a rep across EU country borders than sending one from or to the CONUS.

There is much less risk sending contraband within EU borders (at least Schengen Accord countries) because packages do not pass through customs when going, for example, from Germany to Spain. I am not sure what happens if one of the countries is not a signatory to Schengen.

Guest carlsbadrolex

OK FINE, I ADMIT IT... I JUST DONT LIKE PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT AMERICAN CITIZENS!

Does that make you feel better? I will ONLY sell to Americans. Those people who I am unsure of must provide a birth certificate and one other form of identification before I will ship the item to you.

If you fail to provide the requested documents, I will simply keep your money and ship nothing.

There is much less risk sending contraband within EU borders (at least Schengen Accord countries) because packages do not pass through customs when going, for example, from Germany to Spain. I am not sure what happens if one of the countries is not a signatory to Schengen.

They still pass customs and are random checked, even in Schengen countries.

Does that make you feel better? I will ONLY sell to Americans. Those people who I am unsure of must provide a birth certificate and one other form of identification before I will ship the item to you.

If you fail to provide the requested documents, I will simply keep your money and ship nothing.

Now we're getting to the REAL truth !! :lol:

One other point: A few years ago I purchased a watch from a well-regarded Canadian member. The watch took almost three weeks to get to me (the postmark confirmed the shipping date), so I'd almost given up the watch as lost and concluded that he and I needed to negotiate a settlement. Otherwise, shipments to-from Canada have gone without a hitch.

The highlighted sentence above is exactly why I do not like to send reps abroad. If the risk is with the buyer then there is no 'negotiate a settlement'. But if something really dissapears this sentence will ALWAYS come up and then there are quarrels and paypal problems.

How could I be really assured that once I send out the watch there will be no trouble with the buyer if the watch really gets caught or simply does not get there?

The highlighted sentence above is exactly why I do not like to send reps abroad. If the risk is with the buyer then there is no 'negotiate a settlement'. But if something really dissapears this sentence will ALWAYS come up and then there are quarrels and paypal problems.

How could I be really assured that once I send out the watch there will be no trouble with the buyer if the watch really gets caught or simply does not get there?

Agreed.

Oke, right. Ever travelled by plane from Spain to The Netherlands and seen all the customs waiting for you and random checking people.

Are you sure it wasn't a flight that originated outside the EU? I have never flown to Netherlands but from Spain I have flown to Italy, France, Germany, the UK, and Latvia and only had to pass customs in UK and Latvia (both not Schengen). In theory Schengen is supposed to eliminate all border controls. So if you enter the Netherlands from Germany or Belgium by car they stop your car? That is really weird -

Ahhh.... was searching and found this - regular customs checks were eliminated but member states may still regulate imports from other member countries and therefore customs searches are permitted under Schengen:

Schengen area 25 March 2001

As from 25 March 2001, the Schengen area will be made up of thirteen Member States and Norway and Iceland, which are not members.Under the Schengen Convention, internal borders of the Schengen countries may be crossed at any point without any checks on persons being carried out. Those persons crossing external borders of the Schengen area will be subject to entry and departure checks as before. In Finland, entry and departure checks are carried out by the Frontier Guard.Applying the Schengen acquis will not change import and export rights. Regular customs checks were abolished at the internal borders of the EU countries when Finland became a member of the EU in 1995.

Are you sure it wasn't a flight that originated outside the EU? I have never flown to Netherlands but from Spain I have flown to Italy, France, Germany, the UK, and Latvia and only had to pass customs in UK and Latvia (both not Schengen). In theory Schengen is supposed to eliminate all border controls. So if you enter the Netherlands from Germany or Belgium by car they stop your car? That is really weird -

Ahhh.... was searching and found this - regular customs checks were eliminated but member states may still regulate imports from other member countries and therefore customs searches are permitted under Schengen:

Schengen area 25 March 2001

As from 25 March 2001, the Schengen area will be made up of thirteen Member States and Norway and Iceland, which are not members.Under the Schengen Convention, internal borders of the Schengen countries may be crossed at any point without any checks on persons being carried out. Those persons crossing external borders of the Schengen area will be subject to entry and departure checks as before. In Finland, entry and departure checks are carried out by the Frontier Guard.Applying the Schengen acquis will not change import and export rights. Regular customs checks were abolished at the internal borders of the EU countries when Finland became a member of the EU in 1995.

Only no worries with rep watches, you are permitted to bring max 3 rep watches with you in The Netherlands from abroad.

So no worries shipping from US to Netherlands?

Customs and Border Control does not inspect outgoing shipments. Only the TSA does that and only then for security purposes on commercial carriers.

Ohh the loss of freedom in the US by means of security issues :lol:

:p

I think the stricter policing in terms of reps is Germany, Italy and maybe France... te first definitely, but perhaps members of the latter 2 can tell us more.

I believe it is illegal to possess a rep in Italy, as opposed tomost places, where it is illegal to sell them, but not to own them.