When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Dial Quandry

freddy333

OK. If you want an opinion I'll give it. I love the creamyness of the hour markers on the top dial but the index markers look a bit elongated (not sure if this is due to distortion through the glass). Lower dial looks to have better proportioned index markers but not such a nice dial overall imho.

I can see the difference but don't know what you are asking. Could you be more specific?

They look a hair thin Freddy, is that the NDT dial? The cherry red looks great!

Mine is the same -I just live with it. One of these days I'll have it addressed.

DSCN3950.jpg

Diesel -- Let me clarify. This is the original dial, which had slightly too-narrow & oddly colored index markers, but was otherwise very good as is

1570drsdproject0121.jpg

This is the dial after Ziggy relumed it & then I applied a light coat of clear, matte varnish.

ziggifieddial0041.jpg

(I think Ziggy had to scrape the area around each of the index markers before he added the new lume, which changed the surface texture of the dial. Then, when I applied the varnish, it left those little mottled areas around each of the index markers where the dial had been scraped smooth. I have seen 2 dials that Rolex had relumed many years ago (before Tritium was taken off the market) & the surface had a similar appearance. So that is another thing I am still debating back & forth.)

The 2nd dial is my MBW dial, which has pretty correct looking index markers compared to most of the gen DRSDs I have seen. The appearance of the index markers on the 1st dial is about the same whether it is seen through the crystal or not.

As usual, Ziggy did an outstanding job on the lume. However, I think the new, thicker lume intensifies the (slightly too-narrow) appearance of the 6 & 9 index markers, which, although they were not perfect, really did not bother me before the relume. So I have been wondering whether I should see if Ziggy can redo those 2 index markers to widen them a bit or whether they fit within the range of normalcy for a gen Double Red????

Toomuchgear -- Not an NDtrading, but similar. I got this dial a few months ago on ebay, but I have not seen another like it since then. Unlike the NDtrading dials, the crown is dead on accurate for a V1 DRSD (the NDtrading crowns are similar to later DRSDs) & the font spacing is much better. But, as I mentioned above, now the index markers look off (too narrow), but I am not sure if it is just me or if they are too narrow for a DRSD??????

By the way, this watch contains a gen 1570, which fits the MBW DRSD case like a glove (after removing 1/2mm around the outside of the 1570's date disc holder)

1570datering.jpg

With that in mind, do you think it is worth asking the Zigmeister to take another shot at widening the 2 index markers (&/or re-texturizing the area around all of the markers to remove the mottled spots)? What do you (all) think?

Guest avitt
With that in mind, do you think it is worth asking the Zigmeister to take another shot at widening the 2 index markers (&/or re-texturizing the area around all of the markers to remove the mottled spots)? What do you (all) think?

My opinion is that you should try to have the markers widened. But I wouldn't mess around with the texture of the dial, as the risk would outweigh the reward.

(I have another theory about those mottled spots: I think that the lume material is porous, and somewhat absorbent. When you apply the clear varnish to the dial, the lume actually soaks up the varnish in the area immediately around the marker. I think that the spots will be minimized with 1 or 2 more light coats of varnish.)

I agree with avitt.

I would hit that dial again with the mat varnish.

My red dial has like 8 coats on it now because of a similar pattern but only on the bottom part of the dial and nowhere else.

On the first dial, I would have The Zigmeister attempt to widen the 6,9 markers, they look malnourished. :)

My opinion is that you should try to have the markers widened. But I wouldn't mess around with the texture of the dial, as the risk would outweigh the reward.

Thanks for the input, Avitt. I think I may need to check in with Ziggy.

(I have another theory about those mottled spots: I think that the lume material is porous, and somewhat absorbent. When you apply the clear varnish to the dial, the lume actually soaks up the varnish in the area immediately around the marker. I think that the spots will be minimized with 1 or 2 more light coats of varnish.)

I never thought of that (porous/absorbent lume).

Ah, this is the other dial from ebay you posted about before.

I had the same thing on my dial after it was relumed, some halo spots around some of the indices that seem shiny, mine does not have clear coat on it though -at least I don't think it does. I haven't done anything with it since I'm in the same boat as Freddy; do I have the 6&9 widened and then some varnish over it to see if it will mask the spots.

I would think 1-2 more coats wouldn't hurt to find out if Avitt is right.

Toomuchgear -- Yes, this is the dial I posted pics of a few weeks ago.

The purpose of the varnish is to create a texture on the dial that mimics the texture of the gen vintage dials, which have a somewhat rough texture. Filling in those mottled areas around the index markers is just an added bonus & I think Avitt is correct that an additional layer (or 2) would tend to mask that area so it is not noticeable.

The index markers on your dial are even narrower than mine are, so I would definitely consider having them redone (wider).

Keeps us posted on the results after you add some more coats of varnish.

I think the varnish will fix the mottling, but I am going to wait until Ziggy fixes the index markers before I add any more varnish. If he had not done such a damned good job on the color of those existing markers, I could probably handle the widening/reluming myself. But there is no way that I would ever be able to produce such realistic colors (or finished results) that Ziggy gets. You really have to have an artist's eye.

Thanks for the clarification and I see exactly what you mean. I think you have definitely made the right decision, not only did the others think the markers were a little skinny but it was obviously playing on your mind and now the issue is being dealt with. Your 1665 (which is also my daily beater of choice) is going to end up the envy of us all.

All the best.

Ziggy says he is unable to widen the markers. I am not sure why this is, because I have done it before myself. Unfortunately, the quality of my work never approached Ziggy's & I doubt I will be able to match the beautiful color he used on my dial. So the plan is to redo the markers myself, but in white (my alternative preference), which is an easier color to work with & match.

So, here is where I am

dial_comparison0021.jpg

And this is where I hope to end up (other than the lume, note the many similarities between the 2 dials)

DRSDMKIdial.jpg

Watch this space.........