When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

EU vs. Country of residence

rower

I've noticed that a lot of people have put EU as opposed to the country that they live in as their location. The EU seems too big for my US mind to comprehend. I miss the thought of the individual country. When I think of the UK, Sweden, France or any other country my mind brings up memories of trips and pictures that are very endearing. When I think of the EU I think more in economic cold terms. Do I need to change my thinking? Please help me as I am from the US and I so want to have a global perspective!

The most important thing to keep the location in your profile is the sales section. Members might have watches for sale/trade, and this way the potential buyer can immediately see if there's a potential customs risk.

Basically US/EU/Asia are the only things we really need to know when have the "second hand" trades. Quite a lot of members from Australia too.

Many members simply don't want to tell their exact location. Including me. Only my friends know it, and that's enough for me. :)

I think shipping wise Norway is treated as another EU country. I think there's no customs between Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway (although Norway doesn't belong to EU). I suspect other (non-scandinavian) EU countries treat Norway the same way.

Hey, what dangeous could potentially come from Norway? Rotten fish maybe... :D

I think shipping wise Norway is treated as another EU country. I think there's no customs between Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Norway (although Norway doesn't belong to EU). I suspect other (non-scandinavian) EU countries treat Norway the same way.

Norway is one of the 15 signatories to the Schengen Accord. I thought there were no longer any internal customs controls between Schengen countries but Onzenuub (from NL) said that coming from Spain my luggage could be searched by customs upon arrival there. I didn't believe it so I did some research and he is right. Though greatly reduced in practice, Schengen countries may still control what crosses their internal (from within Schengen area) borders:

Schengen area 25 March 2001

As from 25 March 2001, the Schengen area will be made up of thirteen Member States and Norway and Iceland, which are not [EU] members. Under the Schengen Convention, internal borders of the Schengen countries may be crossed at any point without any checks on persons being carried out. Those persons crossing external borders of the Schengen area will be subject to entry and departure checks as before. In Finland, entry and departure checks are carried out by the Frontier Guard. Applying the Schengen acquis will not change import and export rights. Regular customs checks were abolished at the internal borders of the EU countries when Finland became a member of the EU in 1995.

Edited by JohnG

Trading patterns between all EU countries are of an equal status (or they should be) as this is defined by EU Community law. Yes the EU was originally set up to conquer the economic short fall after the war, however, it has very much changed from being primarily an economic community - which was created under the Treaty of Paris, and expanded on by the Treaty of Rome.

The EU has changed from this economic model to one of fairness and equality for its members. The Single European Act and the Treaty of Amsterdam saw a move from an economic basis to the equal treatment of its citizens regardless of race, gender, religion etc... So although the EU's original objectve was theaim to create stability and strengthening the economies of the member countries, it is as much about equality and social objectives as it is monetary.

Therefore the only reason someone would want to see the exact country of origin would be due to having to ship an item the member x who reside in country y within the EU - because all tariffs and customs should be of equal status between EU countries.

I hope this helps remove the coldness of the EU's basis :)

Many members simply don't want to tell their exact location. Including me. Only my friends know it, and that's enough for me. :)

Yeah, if everyone knew you were in the North Pole, they'd guess pretty quickly that you were in fact Santa. :lol:

Hey, what dangeous could potentially come from Norway? Rotten fish maybe... :D

Rotten fish and rotten tax'es :lol:

Norway customs checks all parcels from Sweden,Denmark,Finland who arrives in Norway they get treated same way as a parcel from any none EU country in Europe..

I now. :p

Norway is one of the 15 signatories to the Schengen Accord. I thought there were no longer any internal customs controls between Schengen countries but Onzenuub (from NL) said that coming from Spain my luggage could be searched by customs upon arrival there. I didn't believe it so I did some research and he is right. Though greatly reduced in practice, Schengen countries may still control what crosses their internal (from within Schengen area) borders:

Schengen area 25 March 2001

As from 25 March 2001, the Schengen area will be made up of thirteen Member States and Norway and Iceland, which are not [EU] members. Under the Schengen Convention, internal borders of the Schengen countries may be crossed at any point without any checks on persons being carried out. Those persons crossing external borders of the Schengen area will be subject to entry and departure checks as before. In Finland, entry and departure checks are carried out by the Frontier Guard. Applying the Schengen acquis will not change import and export rights. Regular customs checks were abolished at the internal borders of the EU countries when Finland became a member of the EU in 1995.

Nope not in Norway we have high tax on almost all gods so for our gov to let people smuggle tru our borders woud be a NO NO so they check alot sometimes ems shippments are delayed by many days due to customs.

It is turning out that the internal customs issue in the EU and Schengen area countries is more complex than I thought.

It is turning out that the internal customs issue in the EU and Schengen area countries is more complex than I thought.

Schengen is just a stupid thing on paper that makes it more easy for criminals to come to our countrys and do crime all over.

Just look at poor Sweden they have their hands full..

If up to me Norway,Sweden,Denmark and Finland woud form a union and say [censored] the rest we are the best and also kick out all the dirt bags from our country's. :D:boat:

Island and such woud also be included ofcaurse.

Schengen is just a stupid thing on paper that makes it more easy for criminals to come to our countrys and do crime all over.

Just look at poor Sweden they have their hands full..

If up to me Norway,Sweden,Denmark and Finland woud form a union and say [censored] the rest we are the best and also kick out all the dirt bags from our country's. :D:boat:

Island and such woud also be included ofcaurse.

frp%20logo.gif