When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD No thicker Bezel !

Tribal

What case upgrade?

you mean a different and upgrade case?

do you have any pic?

yeah BK offers the new updated case, bezel with crystal and crown tube for $80. New SSD bracelet is apparently an additional $40

So all yoiu had to do was swap the movement, bezel insert and crown and you had a new updated SSD with thick bezel and better bracelet... but now it looks like there may some discrepencies here...

dizz

I think the difference is the cut of the bevel on the underside of the bezel. The most current offering is not cut as deep (or as far, in other words) as some of the earlier bezels were cut. The most current bezel definately closer resemble the gen. I'm not sure when the factory started cutting the deeper bezel bevel (bezel bevel, say that 5 times fast :p ), but I have one of an first available SSDs and it has the same bezel as is currently available.

I never bought into the "thicker bezel" notion. Not thicker, just less material machined away.

I think the difference is the cut of the bevel on the underside of the bezel. The most current offering is not cut as deep (or as far, in other words) as some of the earlier bezels were cut. The most current bezel definately closer resemble the gen. I'm not sure when the factory started cutting the deeper bezel bevel (bezel bevel, say that 5 times fast :p ), but I have one of an first available SSDs and it has the same bezel as is currently available.

I never bought into the "thicker bezel" notion. Not thicker, just less material machined away.

Yepp

you are right about that.

Same height but different shape.

But visually makes it a huge different.

Interesting finding, Tribal.

SSD v2 bezel seems thicker.

Top is v2, bottom is v1

Focus of camera on the v2 case. Note the thicker bottom and side of the bezel.

SSD018.jpg

Focus of camera between the 2 cases

SSD017.jpg

Focus of camera on the v1 case

SSD014.jpg

The best part is the crystal doesn't look as comically tall.

SSD v1 with insert already recessed. Crystal looks too tall to me:

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg

SSD v2 with insert also recessed, actually more recessed than the previous one and yet the crystal looks shorter and better. The factory could have thinned out the crystal, I don't know:

2008-05-22013.jpg

2008-05-22009.jpg

2008-05-22004.jpg

It doesn't matter if v2 bezel is thicker or not. Overall v2 is much better looking, thicker "looking" bezel, shorter crystal, the winner.

-bk

Something that I have noticed that contributes to the apparent thickness of the new bezel is that the teeth terminate about half way down the vertical flat of the side of the bezel. On the old bezel the groove of the tooth terminates about two thirds of the the way down the vertical and is much closer to where the bottom bevel begins...

I believe that the tooth cut on the old bezel is more vertical than on the new - it looks that way in the photos. That would explain how it terminates lower with the same bezel height.

Edited by JohnG