When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What to do, what to do...

ATEspo

I guess I am posting for advice...

To make a long story short, my amazingly hot ex girlfriend (sorry for the adjectives) and I are beginning to talk once again for the first time in a few years, she moved away for a modeling job, and now that we have been talking for the past few weeks, I've told her about my obsession with collecting watches. Now you know just as well as I do, we only like to own/wear high quality reps or gens. Now she just came back from NYC yesterday and bought me a really bad Daytona rep (chronos dont work, second hand just sweeps just to mention a few major flaws), which she told me she knows its a fake, but just wanted to get me SOMETHING. Now what to do, wear it around her when we go out and whatnot? I would NEVER buy such a bad rep, but I feel as though I have to wear it around her every once in a while.

What do you guys think?

Edited by ATEspo

Gifts can be awkward whether you are the giver or recipient, and whether it involves a hot girlfriend, spouse, parent, child, or just about anybody.

The important thing is to appreciate the giver and the thought behind the gift, so I agree with Zeus -- wear it a few times around her and let her know how much you appreciate her thoughtfulness. Then let the bad rep slide to the back of your watch case. If she is into fashion (after all, she is a model), she knows how much people like to switch outfits and jewelry, and how certain things get worn more often than others. She won't be offended as long as she herself feels appreciated.

By the way, your situation is a lot better than if she gave you a really expensive watch that you couldn't stand.

Dont ever wear it just to make her happy, and if you do she will have you doing all sorts of crap to prove your love. Be a man, she will love you more if you dont kiss her ass. If you do, she will chew you up and spit you out and move on to someone who thinks for himself.

She obviously doesn't know a great deal about watches or replicas. You could purchase a good replica Daytona that looks similar to the one the she purchased. Wear it when you are around her and odds are that she will never realize that it isn't the one that she purchased for you. The down side is that if she thinks that you love the Daytona that she bought, she is likey to get you another :o . However, you might point out to her that you are very picky about your watches and how fortunate you are that she luckily selected the Daytona. As you restablish your relationship, you should explain a bit about the replica market and show her some of the higher quality watches. You can introduce her to the forum and to the dealer sites if she shows interest. She will soon understand the differences in replicas and you will have spared her feelings. :)

Good advice guys. Yeah I'd agree that since it was a gift wearing it here and there wouldn't be a bad idea. Of course if it's one that there is a good version rep of you could always pick that up and I doubt she would ever notice. She's not likely to pay attention to the details like we all do. Good luck with wherever things are headed with her.

Yea, like others have stated, get a better "similar" watch and wear that one. If she's like my lady, she wouldn't know the difference. I guess it all depends on how detailed or observant she is.

Or...make HER wear it and take pictures of her and the watch. Then, post here for us. ;)

She'd get a kick out of that and everyone wins!!!!!!

wish i had your problem...

solution: buy another daytona that looks a lot better with no major flaws and similar color, pass it off as the one she got you, but tell her she got lucky this time and youre picky about your watches in the nicest way , so maybe she'll stop? :victory:

this sounds to be the choice of majority!

when ever i see a rep daytona with a sweep seconds hand as the primary seconds i always wonder how someone can wear that... its just SO flawed, like who are you kidding...

as p4 said... start smacking it around... or take the caseback and kill the movement.... tell her you love the look of it but it doesn't run... this will dissuade any future purchases...

you could then, if you want, buy a nice Daytona rep that is similar to show you liked the thought.... you could even point out the differences in quality, etc...

as p4 said... start smacking it around... or take the caseback and kill the movement.... tell her you love the look of it but it doesn't run... this will dissuade any future purchases...

you could then, if you want, buy a nice Daytona rep that is similar to show you liked the thought.... you could even point out the differences in quality, etc...

Exactly. If its quartz, pull the battery. If its automatic, just stop the movement for the time being. Tell her you liked the watch, and open up the door to show her GOOD reps of course if you can afford to, replace it with one.

You can always start the one she gave you back up by throwing the battery back in or starting the movement back up, if its centimental, it doesnt have to take a permanent dirt nap, just.. a coma until the situation is rectified.

I'm with Piratedzeus.

But now she knows about your interest in reps you can show her your other reps and explain why they are so good and what the flaws are in many cheap reps. In time you can tell her with a joke that it's very difficult for somebody without knowledge to find a good rep. That's a nice way to show that you appreciate her gesture, but that it's not a really good rep... :)

edit: I overlooked Jdavis's advice which is basically the same, lol.

Yea, like others have stated, get a better "similar" watch and wear that one. If she's like my lady, she wouldn't know the difference. I guess it all depends on how detailed or observant she is.

Or...make HER wear it and take pictures of her and the watch. Then, post here for us. ;)

She'd get a kick out of that and everyone wins!!!!!!

Im pretty sure I can convince her to do that, after all she takes photos for a living...

I am just going to wear it on occasion around her, she knows how many watches I have and how often I switch them up (sometimes I wear 2-3 different watches a day).

THanks for all the advice guys, I am just worried someone is going to see it on my wrist and think...

I guess I am posting for advice...

To make a long story short, my amazingly hot ex girlfriend (sorry for the adjectives) and I are beginning to talk once again for the first time in a few years, she moved away for a modeling job, and now that we have been talking for the past few weeks, I've told her about my obsession with collecting watches. Now you know just as well as I do, we only like to own/wear high quality reps or gens. Now she just came back from NYC yesterday and bought me a really bad Daytona rep (chronos dont work, second hand just sweeps just to mention a few major flaws), which she told me she knows its a fake, but just wanted to get me SOMETHING. Now what to do, wear it around her when we go out and whatnot? I would NEVER buy such a bad rep, but I feel as though I have to wear it around her every once in a while.

What do you guys think?

Frankly, I would give her 5 STARS for buying you any watch (most women, unless they are into watches, think all watches have batteries anyway).

Just be honest. Tell her how much you appreciate the wonderful gift & the fact that she was thinking about you while in NYC. But explain that, while you plan to keep & cherish her gift forever (which you had better do), it is just too inaccurate to wear. Tell her it is like wearing a fake Chanel handbag with the name misspelled (in large letters) on the side of the bag -- CHANNEL (spelled wrong). I think she will get the point.

Seems alot of us forgot to mention that part but yeah the fact that she noticed a hobby of yours and spent time while in NYC to try to find you something related to it should definately be taken note of. If shes used to you swapping watches all the time then it should be easy to make sure it gets some wrist time when you're around here. BTW I'm sure no one would complain if you did a little photo shoot of her modeling your watch collection.

Tell her it is like wearing a fake Chanel handbag with the name misspelled (in large letters) on the side of the bag -- CHANNEL (spelled wrong).

You know... because all attractive women are dumb-dumbs and the only way to explain things to them is through handbag metaphors...

:rolleyes: