When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Experts: 7928 Crystal Sapphire

radiohead101

Hi there,

I have a 7928 Tudor Sub. Only a few weeks ago I had it completely overhauled, serviced, and the crystal replaced. It seems that the standard for the crystal is to use a plexiglass crystal. I hate this because it's already scratched up! :) Does anyone know if there is a Rolex/Tudor sapphire crystal that will fit in a 7928 case so that I can have this watch for years without scratches?

Thank you

Please tell me you're not serious?! :o The beauty of vintage watches lies in their domed acrylic crystals.

I know they get scratched, but... they are easily buffed out. The attachment method for fitting a domed acrylic is completely different than fitting a press-in sapphire... I don't think there's a good solution for you there.

Unless... you sell the lovely old Tudor :whistling: to somebody here on the board...

Hey now, I saw it first! I'll trade a lovely VINTAGE MBW DRSD with the gen working helium valve and gen SUPERDOME tropic 39 (worth literally tens of thousands of goats) and a gen Orsa Monstrum dive watch with huuuuuuge domed sapphire crystal, AND a FIRST-EDITION honest to goodness DW 6263 chrono (with good mystery movement) for it! The DW is about the 5th one he produced and imported to our verdant shores.

That's a lotta watch history right there my friend. Interested??

lol :)

I just meant, because after buying the gen 7928, I dumped about $500 into it having a lot of work done, and it looked flawless, and now a couple of weeks later the plexicrystal is looking pretty scratched. What's the stuff that is useable to buff out acrylic scratches?

Nanuq I couldn't sell my gen Tudor for less than 50,000 goats :)

toothpaste will polish it, or your shirtsleeve and rub HARD, or if it's really gouged scrape it flat with a knife and then repolish with toothpaste. Seriously. This is the beauty of plastic domes.

I can go as high as 50,100 goats but no higher, you drive a HARD bargain!