When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looks like eBay/PayPal is winning in Oz

swdivad

Seems that the ACCC has no teeth... just got th is email:

As you may be aware, a number of changes were scheduled to come into effect on eBay.com.au on 17 June 2008.

Most of these changes have been delayed by almost one month and are now scheduled to commence on 15 July 2008.

PayPal Buyer Protection will still increase to $20,000 on 17 June 2008.

Current policies regarding accepted payment methods still apply. This means PayPal is required on all listings on eBay.com.au. Other payment methods (i.e. bank deposit, cheque/money order) may also be offered until 15 July 2008.

As previously communicated any listings that do not comply with eBay's Accepted Payments Policy will be removed. We strongly recommend that in order to ensure your listings comply with the Accepted Payments Policy you remove any details of payment methods other than PayPal or pay on pick up within the item description. Listings that have other payment methods offered within the payment options field will be allowed to expire as these options will not be displayed to buyers from 15 July 2008.

There are a small number of categories where PayPal is not mandatory. There are also some categories that do not qualify for PayPal Buyer and Seller Protection. Learn more about these excluded categories.

As mentioned PayPal Buyer Protection will still increase to $20,000 on 17 June 2008.

To ensure you benefit from PayPal's Buyer Protection Policy, eBay strongly recommends you use PayPal when paying for your purchases on eBay.com.au.

From 15 July 2008 the available payment methods will be limited to PayPal, Visa/MasterCard, or pay on pick up.

The decision to delay these changes was made by eBay following the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission's (ACCC) draft notice issued on Thursday 12 June 2008.

eBay released a media statement on Friday 13 June regarding the ACCC's draft notice.

Read eBay's statement and community announcement.

Please note that some of our onsite communications will still refer to changes taking place on 17 June 2008. These communications are being updated and should reflect the new date of 15 July 2008 within the coming days.

Regards

The eBay Team

"Regards" my a$$ ^_^

If eBay+Paypal is +30% cheaper then purchasing it locally I will make use of these services no problem. More often then not I can get items of eBay that would be impossible to find elsewhere or several times more expensive if purchased elsewhere.

But imo it would be a good thing if eBay had a serious competitor to prevent them from rising there prices whenever they feel like it or forcing there users to use Paypal.

Seems that the ACCC has no teeth... just got th is email:

Somehow that sounds like more ebay bluster and BS to me!

Let's wait and see what happens in a month....think there may be some more distance to go with this one yet.

It would be VERY unusual for the ACCC to retreat now!

Methinks ebay are still beating their chest, unfortunately there is a bigger gorilla involved now!

Offshore

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I don't know that ebay has yet won the war in Oz, actually they are yet to even win a battle.

This is their latest posting!

Changes to eBay.com.au scheduled for 15 July are being postponed until the review process with the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) regarding its recent draft notice is complete. As previously announced, eBay.com.au is continuing to work with the ACCC to achieve an outcome that benefits buyers and sellers.

This is now the 2nd "back down" from ebay.

I am reliably informed that the ACCC has received thousands of negative submissions, not only from the "big guys"...Banking Ombudsman, Banking regulators, their opposition ( Google and ilk), but also from the mom and pop ebay users.

It really is more about Pay Pal, than ebay, just that ebay are being used as the vehicle to drive this attempted monopoly for them!

And I don't really beleive the ACCC are buying any of it!

Also it is clear that the ACCC are aware that if they cave in, ebay will try it on in other areas, and the ACCC don't want/need to become embroiled in an international slanging match about allowing monopolies.

Think this still has some one way to go, but I sincerely trust the regulators stick to their guns.

Offshore

I don't like eBay's monopoly behavior, but they do provide a valuable service at a fair price. 10% isn't all that bad when you consider that before the internet, selling anything on your own was arduous, for your only options were the pawn shop, classified ads, or consignment.

Here is an interesting post from a forum discussing the ebay-Paypal scenario here in Oz.

If this is fact, and it certainly has a ring of truth, it explains a lot of the reasons for ebays' persistence, and gives an insight into the corporate mind and thinking of the ebay board and strategists.

The below article was posted on the Seller Central discussion board by someone who claims to be inside eBay management

Hmmm,

Must say I am surprised at the lack of comment on this issue!

I mentioned this to my wife this morning, and from someone who takes little interest in these matters, I got at least a "Wow- do you think that is fact?"

Whilst it doesn't rival Watergate..... I beleive we have a potential ebaygate brewing here, and within this community I would have assumed others would have some thoughts on this matter.

There ya go.... the longest BUMP seen here for some time.

Offshore :D

• 2 weeks later...

And this from the NY times today, confirms the "business model" which ebay are focussing on!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/technolo...WNFBRzvYNlwUGsg

Don't worry about reps on the 'bay my friends, in 12 months, that's all you will find,

and all from Chinese sellers!

I note that already the "Wholesale" area, is almost devoid of local ads, all now are from HK, and China sellers.

With Buy.com, wielding its not unsubstantial presence, and its "Diamond" sellers, getting free or discounted listings, the days of the small 'garage sale' seller are numbered.

It will probably change the way we "hunt" our product as well.

Offshore