When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How would you feel...

jun

...when the guy sitting next to you on first/coach class makes a compliment on your watch as he is wearing the exact same timepiece as you. After a few more words you find out he is wearing a $400 rep so well built that only a well trained eye can tell the difference between his and your $8K gen.

As some of the members in this forum my collection includes both low end gens and reps. However, owners of solely hi-end gen collections may not be aware of such good reps on the market. With this said...

Isn't this one of the reasons why some hi-end gen owners get so irritated when some idiot starts commenting and loading pics on gen forums about how perfectly replicated his $400 rep is?

Would it feel disappointing seeing many people wearing such an exclusive watch, eventhough is a rep and can't tell the difference?

Again, How would you feel?

Edited by jun

...when the guy sitting next to you on first/coach class makes a compliment on your watch as he is wearing the exact same timepiece as you. After a few more words you find out he is wearing a $400 rep so well built that only a well trained eye can tell the difference between his and your $8K gen.

As some of the members in this forum my collection includes both low end gens and reps. However, owners of solely hi-end gen collections may not be aware of such good reps on the market. With this said...

Isn't this one of the reasons why some hi-end gen owners get so irritated when some idiot starts commenting and loading pics on gen forums about how perfectly replicated his $400 rep is?

Would it feel disappointing seeing many people wearing such an exclusive watch, eventhough is a rep and can't tell the difference?

Again, How would you feel?

That

I think it's great when I see someone wearing a really nice DR or COMEX Seadweller. More power to 'em.

Remember, these were inexpensive tool watches not that long ago. Now that gen prices have reached the ionosphere, I think collectors who have invested tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars are irritated for several reasons. Mostly, they've bought their way into the horological equivalent of a gated community and they want to remain exclusive.

Does anyone here remember the Beverly Hillbillies? Same story... if a hick shows up sporting YOUR expensive watch, then you're no better than the hick.

Why? Because way too many people confuse "who" they are with "what" they own.

That's not the way it's supposed to work. "Who" you are comes from "what" you do for others.

Well said Nanuq.

And in the end of the day they're just watches.

We can be passionate about nice things, but they're still just... "things". They're fun stuff, nothing that's really important in life.

I love to meet all kinds of WIS, people who are passionate about watches. It doesn't matter what watch they wear, gen or rep.

I am sure that many high end gen owners feel the same way I do when I am in line at the supermarket checkout behind a group of migrant landscapers (obviously, having just finished their shift) wearing 'gold Daydates' but paying for their food with food stamps. You cannot help but think 'LOSERS' & feel disdain for these people. Although our reps/frankens are generally much less identifiable as reps & most of us can walk-the-walk, I am sure that the average gen owner feels much the same way about us when our reps get outed. Just human nature.

I would sell off the gen and buy some higher quality reps which is what I did. I sold off several gens keeping my two favorites and added a stable of quality reps to enjoy and in the process put away thousands of dollars. I saw this a a no brainer move.

I find genuine owners fall into two camps when I show them some really great replicas.. One pretends not to be interested and refuses to accept that they could possible be any good.. and the other group wants to buy half my collection.

Don't forget many of us started out with collecting or at least a strong interest in genuines.. and then moved to rep's once we discovered how great they can be

I've found that the real 'watch enthusiasts' don't really care if something is gen or rep. To them, it's a watch, and an item of interest, it's only jerks with chips on their shoulders who tend to get snotty about things, and that's only because their materialistic crutches have been successfully 'knee-capped' ;) Folks like that generally aren't worth the effort anyway ;)

Interesting question. I have a Gen "Moon to Mars" Speedy which I bought because I loved the watch. If there had been a decent rep of it I might not own the Gen. If a decent rep came out and I bumped into people wearing it would I care? Not really. To be honest I find with ths particular watch people comment on the subdials and don't even realise it's an Omega (if they know what Omega is in the first place). You'd get the same reaction with a rep.

I suspect it is a function of whether the person wearing the watch feels it defines them (i.e. I own it and so I am cooler) rather than simply wearing it because they can afford it and appreciate it. In real life I have never encountered the whole rep/gen issue other than to occasionally see a good rep and have the personal pride of knowing I know. I would never say anything though and I certainly have never seen anyone else say anything. Then again, I don't wear Rolexes very often. Plenty of really nice people wear them but every sniveling wannabe also aspires to own one. :lol:

And the funny thing is that if I had to prioritize what I like best in my collection my order would be 1. Franken 2. Gen and 3. Rep. :D