When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT ll ceramic Screw problem!

Master Chief

When I fix a bolt with a nut, the bolt turn round and round....the screw is loose and I can not tighten it firmly.

Joshua said that using 'locktite' will be solve this problem. but I'm really worried about it.

Is using 'locktite' the permanent solution?

Maybe you can give me some advice.

3.png

If that's the screw just behind the fliplock clasp, then if it's any consolation I've had a similar problem with my 116710. Worked loose a couple of times and prevented clasp opening. But it threads in not stripped like yours.

Loctite works well, age-old-remedy to thread-lock screws, just be sure to use the correct type - blue/removable.

looks like a movement holder screw and sounds like its stripped. No lock tight wont do anything in that case. Might have to epoxy it in place somehow, but be warned.. epoxy and messy and perminant.

edit - sorry i just looked at the pic again and its a bracelet link.. monitor was dark and only saw the flat shiney top. locktight still wont be 100%. i would try to replace the link with another one if you can. If not then i would use a drop of glue in the thread holes then screw the screw in and let it sit for 24 hrs to dry.

dizz

Docblackrock & Dizzy!

Thanks for your advice.

I will try it both way.

Dizzy makes a good point, before you start messing round with adhesives, I'd try swapping out with bracelet screws from other links first, start with your spares (the bracelet would fit a 10" wrist!).

yeah locktite BLUE is basicly adhesive. I think you could prob get the screw out if you had to later on, but you would need to heat up the link first to melt the locktiite. the nice thing about locktite is that it stays rubbery and doesnt get dry and brittle so it may hold the screw longer than some random adhesive. good call freddy.

dizz

Loctite 242, the one on left side? Please Fred comfirm

Yes, medium strength (blue). If you have a tube of silicone sealant (used to seal water leaks around windows, etc.), that will work also. Any type of glue that remains pliable & does not form a permanent bond with metal should work.

242 or 248 should be perfect they are designed to hold screws in place where they may need to be removed later with out the use of power tools, 272 on the other hand is for tighter application where you may need to use power tools, so dont use it unless you have a real small screw driver for your impact driver

Guest carlsbadrolex

Just an FYI... When I took two links out of my Z serial 16610 there was adhesive on both link screws. It was white and not blue, but very obviously an adhesive of some sort.

And I also have an issue with that very same screw. I will loctite mine tomorrow.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the bezel insert is not aligned properly on their GMT IIc? Mine is about 1/2mm off to the left so that aligning it means turning back between clicks. If it were any other watch, I would pop the bezel off and re-align it. But Im afraid I might crack the insert in the process. And something tells me these inserts arent going to be available.

Just an FYI... When I took two links out of my Z serial 16610 there was adhesive on both link screws. It was white and not blue, but very obviously an adhesive of some sort.

And I also have an issue with that very same screw. I will loctite mine tomorrow.

As an aside, has anyone noticed that the bezel insert is not aligned properly on their GMT IIc? Mine is about 1/2mm off to the left so that aligning it means turning back between clicks. If it were any other watch, I would pop the bezel off and re-align it. But Im afraid I might crack the insert in the process. And something tells me these inserts arent going to be available.

I noted the same bezel misalignment a couple days ago, so I guess it is a (minor) design problem & not a defect in my watch. There seems to be a bit of play in the centering mechanism, which I think is the problem.

The white material you see on some link screws may be GC crystal cement, which alot of watchmakers use in place of loctite because they always have it on their bench. Unfortunately, GC is not intended for use in moving parts, so it does not last very long. Loctite (blue) always works with these screws for me.