When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Christopher Ward watches

Noel

Is anyone familiar with these watches? http://www.christopherward.co.uk/

I've just ordered one and makes me ask some questions about the price of usual chinese replicas.

Although CW's cost between $400 and $600 for automatics they have 100% genuine swiss eta movements and are put together in the UK with all the associated costs. Why does a watch with a replica movement assembled in low cost china cost nearly as much?

Regards

Noel

There have been a few detailed reviews of the Kingfisher model on a gen forum and from what I recall, they all said it was a great value.

Yeah, I paid more than that for a second-hand Fortis with mineral crystal (and admittedly Tritium) and the same movement. It's excellent value, on par with Stowa, if not even better value.

• 4 years later...

i have a couple of CW watches C7 Rapide and C4 Peregrine and both came in at under £300 each. they are very well built and you can feel the quality. 

reading an article the prices are kept low as they generally keep advertising to a minimum so they dont have to pass on these costs. 

Although they are cheap in comparison their quality is comparable to some more expensive marques and have had comments from people working on the watches about the movements they have saying how good they are.

also their designs are very nice. 

i'l have to get some wrist shots up for all.

I've had a few also, a pvd C4, steel C4 and kingfisher C6, my brother in law wears a C60 as his one and only do everything watch. Build quality, features and attention to detail is really great for the price. The designs are a bit of a mishmash of everything though, it's like they don't know what brand to homage next so they throw design aspects of everything into some watches. I'd like to see them do some more of their own designs. No doubt on the quality though, they punch well their weight for the price.

Been researching them :g: and intend to get one was on there owners blog read much plus great pics. :partytime:  All in all as owners have posted here great quality at the price point, I keep blowing the money on a rep before I get to the magic number needed for the model I want. :bangin:

This one unless of course I change my mind http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/sport/c60-gmt-sks.html

. The designs are a bit of a mishmash of everything though, it's like they don't know what brand to homage next so they throw design aspects of everything into some watches. I'd like to see them do some more of their own designs. No doubt on the quality though, they punch well their weight for the price.

I know what you mean here, as I got their latest brochure delivered recently, and was quite surprised as the below model, which is clearly based on the Tag Heuer Carrera model..

8634501317_315e67480f_b.jpg

I am a huge fan of Christopher Ward.  Used to own one of the Kingfishers, but sold it to pay of some bills a year or so ago.  It was of quality build, especially for the money.  My dream watch from CW is actually the C60 that Mike posted above, which is a great mash-up of the Bremont Supermarine (of fellow British design) and a Rollie GMT Master.  Hopefully they have improved their bracelet design, as that is what has mostly kept me from purchasing it the last few years.  Looks like they are now going with an oyster styled design, so hopefully the clasp has changed as well (had been a simple single push button release clasp before). I think it needs a diver's lock to be taken seriously as a dive watch, IMO

Love the range available and just took a peek at that C7 Bluebird, really nice dial but yes proper Tag look   :inverted: mind you with a 5 year warranty you can't go far wrong. I'm into the C60 range too, this one http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/sport/c60-tri/c60-tri-skcs.html  but hey my list is getting longer all the bloody time, should take some of my own advice and hide the wallet........for about a year  :partytime:

i owned the c60 trident auto for just over 3 weeks last year, i returned it though as to me, it had a few issues such as a loose bezel with only 60 clicks, lint under the crystal and a plastic movement holder. in all honesty it felt very rep like in my hands, the lume was awful despite being superluminova, they are swiss made but id imagine quite a few components are sourced from the far east. the no quibble return policy is great and customer service was spot on. you also get a 5 year movement garauntee...the personally signed letter welcoming you to the watch that you get was a classy touch too.im pretty sure they have now uped their quality though, as they now have 120 click bezels etc. the new c60 with orange bezel looks fantastic but after my last experiance i cant bring myself to order one again...especially as watches such as the longines hydroconquest models are just £200 more... the christopher wards are a good micro brand product, but personally i think theres better out there from more established brands for not much more cash...

I agree bamcky, I just had a look at their site. I still think the build is good for what you get but prices have risen over the past few years and that is putting them into competition with some very nice Tissots and Longines at a similar or not much higher price point. When I bought my C4/C6 etc it was around 2009 and prices for the basic models was around £150-£250, some with eta 2824/Sw200 ...the bang for the buck was immense then.

When my b-i-Law bought his C60 a couple of years ago it was nearly £150 cheaper. I'm not sure where they are going tbh?.... they initially worked hard and marketed themselves as the whole 'luxury swiss at normal prices' malarkey, and that was actually a hit, but I've since read a couple of things on the net where over the next few years they want to 'move upmarket, and compete head on with the luxury brands etc. Not sure this is the best idea considering they have no history/(or even invented history) and their whole modus was based on affordability. They may do well who knows, but they they seriously need a change up to the designs if they want to move away from the sub £500 segment. Moving up the ladder is not always the best way to establish the brand, sometimes it's better to come right out the gate and do a Bremont or a Kobold and put a large price tag on everything.

Get them while they are hot :)

Also keep an eye out for their sales, some watches go for 30%-40% less around 28 december. Apparently their is a bit of a kick up about this as the higher price buyers are not happy at massive markdowns for fun.