When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 7750s - how are they nowadays?

dabom

I send my A7750(28.8k as opposed to the 7750 21.6k) movement to Ziggy for full servicing.. they come back running spot on and really not a whole lot of difference from the Swiss.. the problem is not in the movements but as you know in the mods that it takes to replicate the functions of the dials..

The New A7750's are very good.. as good as the Swiss counterpart .. Ziggy has a review on the movement..but it comes down to the servicing.. but again the problems are with the mod kits in the replications mainly..

I regulated my first A7750 and after tweaking it for 2 days.. it's keeping the same time as my blackbery that I used to set the time.. it was running 60 minutes fast every 12 hours.. so that tells you something about the servicing of some of the movements from the factory..

although this rep was not from one of the Top 3 makers.. the recent A7750's form the quality high end rep makers are running well before servicing but alway's comes back much better after Ziggy takes them apart and services them..

The New A7750's are very good.. as good as the Swiss counterpart ..

I would disagree with that statement..

they still dont feel as 'smooth' as the swiss, and, everywhere I turn on these forums, I still see warnings

dont run the chronos

dont wind it

dont monkey with it

dont touch it

dont look at it

so.. we cant have it both ways.. either its a competitor to the swiss and you can feel free to run the chonos and.. *gasp* use it as intended, or its still an inferior movement, but workable.

Ive never had a problem with any of my swiss 7750s, and ive been known to monkeyaround with the chronos just for giggles.. pretty much whenever i was bored.. so.. a LOT.

yet, ive still had 3 busted ass 28k 7750s, without using the chronos besides testing if they worked when i got it. (no, no seconds at 6 or other added nasty complications)

luck of the draw maybe, but.. cant be saying its as good as swiss when they do break, people do have problems, and still encouraged to not use it as intended.

just my $0.02

This is what I posted.... please quote the entire line... :D

The New A7750's are very good.. as good as the Swiss counterpart .. Ziggy has a review on the movement..but it comes down to the servicing.. but again the problems are with the mod kits in the replications mainly..

this is what you quoted me as saying...."The New A7750's are very good.. as good as the Swiss counterpart"

if you were to finish my quote it would end with .."but it comes down to servicing"... have you had a A7750 fully serviced ?? and felt it after? .. just wanted to clarify that point..

They are much better than they used to be.

Overall the Swiss from a factory sealed is still a better movement. However, if you have the new one serviced it will be just as reliable as a Swiss movement

thanks b .. that is the correct word... "reliable"

I have five A7750's, 2 in daytona's (both sec @6), HBB, BCE, and PAM 250.

One of the daytona's gives me greif but I am assured by my freindly watch maker that the extra gears are the cause of the problem. The latest daytona (noob factory version) runs beautifully. The BCE feels dodgy when setting the date or winding but kepps good time. HBB and PAM250 are without issue.

Yes, swiss 7750 will feel nicer when setting the time (A7550 feels a little sloppy- obvious free play)

My watchmaker has serviced all and while they arrive in various states of cleanliness and lube he commented that they are impressively made given what they are and no reason to suggest I shouldn't get long term service.

So far as your don't use the chrono's comment- my watchmaker explained that there is less strain on the movement with the chrono's running. Something about a clutch contantly slipping when stopped. Will ask him to clarify next time I am there, he did show me the 7750 from the dodgy daytona completely dissasembled and explained what all the bit's did- guess I should have paid more attention.

they still dont feel as 'smooth' as the swiss, and, everywhere I turn on these forums, I still see warnings

dont run the chronos

dont wind it

dont monkey with it

dont touch it

dont look at it

so.. we cant have it both ways.. either its a competitor to the swiss and you can feel free to run the chonos and.. *gasp* use it as intended, or its still an inferior movement, but workable.

Ive never had a problem with any of my swiss 7750s, and ive been known to monkeyaround with the chronos just for giggles.. pretty much whenever i was bored.. so.. a LOT.

yet, ive still had 3 busted ass 28k 7750s, without using the chronos besides testing if they worked when i got it. (no, no seconds at 6 or other added nasty complications)

luck of the draw maybe, but.. cant be saying its as good as swiss when they do break, people do have problems, and still encouraged to not use it as intended.

just my $0.02

have you had a A7750 fully serviced ?? and felt it after? .. just wanted to clarify that point..

Yup, I have had a serviced one.. and while it hasnt died yet, it still doesnt feel as 'smooth' as the real deal, either winding or running the chrono.. and I would hazard to guess that most people on this forum would *still* tell you not to run the chronos or wind it, etc etc. even after servicing.

sorry for the clipped quote, but, servicing still doesn't make the movement as good as swiss.

and at movement price + servicing, coming pretty dangerously close to ETA cost anyway..

its a decent movement, but its no ETA

@like2swiss - thats wasnt my comment not to run the chronos, I am jsut repeating what I have read about 70 times in the past few months.. what every 'expert' and their mother tells you when anyone brings up the movement. I hear 'The Zigmeister says its amazing' and 'dont run the chronos, or wind it, etc etc etc, else you'll break it'

i dont know which is true, tbh, and maybe i've just had bad luck, but 3 out of around 10 in 6 months... thats pretty rotton (true, only one serviced one, but im not about to drop $$ on that on every chrono watch i get, may as well just swap for eta)

Edited by roflwaffle

In my experience, the 7750's w/the standard 6-9-12 layout are all quite reliable. Any issues that might occur will generally manifest in the first week. Once you make it past that first week, I've had exactly zero fail.

What this tells me is that the movement itself is stable and quite reliable, but there is always the possibility of getting one that has bad QA during assembly, or got knocked around during transit, but these problems show up almost immediately. I don't baby my watches, and the 7750's have held up very well.

Just remember don't set the date when the time is between 10pm and 2am, as it will f-up your movement. This is for swiss AND asian 7750's, just a part of their design.

Yup, I have had a serviced one.. and while it hasnt died yet, it still doesnt feel as 'smooth' as the real deal, either winding or running the chrono...

I have found the same thing... feels - for want of a better word - "grainy" when winding, even after a service. I've also found a problem when trying to start it after it's stopped, that as much as I shake or slow-wind it, it won't re-start until I try to set the time. Odd. This is a non-chrono with secs at 9. Never experienced this with all the Swiss ETA (or my 1 El Primero) watches that I've had, reps or genuines.

I guess it's just the nature of the beast eh ?

The major difference between the Swiss & (most) Asian versions is the fit & finish of the parts/assembly. I have seen at least 3 different versions of the 28.8k bph version of the A7750 & 1 of them (in a secs at 6 Daytona) appeared to have been manufactured to near Swiss standards. Not exactly the same, but surprisingly close. The finish quality of the parts was, to my eye, the equal of the ETA & it had a similar feel as well. But most of the Asian 7750s are built to less stringent tolerances, which is something you can feel.

The major difference between the Swiss & (most) Asian versions is the fit & finish of the parts/assembly. I have seen at least 3 different versions of the 28.8k bph version of the A7750 & 1 of them (in a secs at 6 Daytona) appeared to have been manufactured to near Swiss standards. Not exactly the same, but surprisingly close. The finish quality of the parts was, to my eye, the equal of the ETA & it had a similar feel as well. But most of the Asian 7750s are built to less stringent tolerances, which is something you can feel.

That

dont run the chronos

dont wind it

dont monkey with it

dont touch it

dont look at it

just my $0.02

This issue has been rallied back and forth since the "A7750" was released in it's first rep.. and has been reviewed by RWG's only true "Horologist".. and the "key word" here is serviced" Properly ... that means not just squirting oil over the movement .. but actually disassembling the entire movement.. and servicing the whole..unit piece by piece.. ultra sonic.. cleaned..take a look at some movement from the factory and you will find gunk.. gummed up....

with that said Ziggy has stated .. "with proper servicing" ... so have a look at the maker that put out the APROO and see what that maker has done to "service properly" the A7750 .. the gearing is tight .. smooth there is NO NOISE to the rotor ... it is silent .. at least this maker has realized what they have here.. and the only way to command high end reps is for them to function as such

I have never had a A7750 serviced by Ziggy .. "properly" feel anything but 100% improved .... he was spot on in his assesment after disecting the movement.. before many were on the board ... He was correct !! and I stand by the "proof".. in his servicing and validation from the source of the reps...

check this out if you haven't .. It is not from Ziggy; who knows more about Horology than all of us put together..

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=76860