When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why are you collecting reps and not gens?

Manitou

Thanks, and, indeed it is, 47 and I share the same hairstyle :D

Hehe - it's interesting to see how many good people are using content from the Hitman series in their avatars.

It makes me feel really good, because I've been deeply involved in developing that character!

i love watches and i do not see the justification for spending 20k on a watch. i would maybe spend that kind of money one ONE watch that i would pass on to my future generations, but not every watch will be in my collection for all my life!

i'd rather get a nice Audi S5 instead of 2 or 3 watches!

AudiS5-04.jpg

Car rust faster than a watch and finish in scrap yard :p

Seriously, all depend on your priority in your life, and on what you want to put more mony than other thing in your life (I said thing, because they JUST thing, we don't need a $100k car, and we don't need a $10k watch to give time). For me, a car is just a mechanical engine to take me from point A to B. So a reliable, simple model will do. Somebody can say the same thing for watches, they use it just to give the time, so a quartz Timex at $10 is Ok. We can debat on this, and we still be there tomorrow, it's a personal choice. Period.

To come back to the subject. I own gen, but I just don't have the money to buy all of them that I want (and not necessary NEED, you see the difference!), so I go with the other alternative, rep. A rep will NEVER be a gen. A rep is just an ILLEGAL copy, and to be honnest, I'm not conformable with that, but at the same time, some company, like Rolex, charge an enormous amount just for them legendary name. The problem with rep is, it's more easy to spend. And it's easy to be never happy with what you have but more with what you want, and be more happy by the purchase process. It's a chase of the happiness. You can be trap in a obsessive compulsive disorder patern. More difficult with gen.

It's purely financial for me.

A Rolex Submariner would cost me a quarter of my annual income. I could never live with just that one watch, even though i could probably save for one; so reps and cheap gens are what i buy.

I am going to spend some money on a proper gen in the near future as i've only bought one rep in the last 12 months - the GMTII Ceramic. I'll probably go for something like a used Seamaster if i can get a bargain.

Like many others here, the main reason for me buying reps is due to cost. Sure, I would love to buy gens but i'm not rich.

I've only been getting into rep watches fairly recently after researching it on the forums and online. Before when I used to think 'fake' watches, those cheap $20 watches with all sorts of 'bling' sold at mall kiosks would come to mind. I didn't know there was an entire market of high quality reps that are so close to their gen counterparts and actually look like an expensive watch when you are wearing them. My first purchase was an cheap IWC from Andrew a while back and after I received it I was surprised how good the watch looked (other than the strap, which I have replaced). I later did more research and found out it has many obvious differences from the gen, but it's a small price to pay to learn a lesson and I'll still wear it no problem. I now do my research on models I'm interested in, find out which ones are best for the money and read user reviews to help me decide. I now own a few reps and have a couple more on the way. I still have a lot to learn, but it's exciting for me.

David

When i first got int i watches was becasue of a friends breitling replica, i thought to myself man their has to be better ones out their.

Sure anuff 6months later i found RWG1 and begin this crassy trip..

After collecting reps for many years i got more and more gens passing tru my hands,

This days i have 2 gen watches and 3 reps whit 2 more reps coming.

Whitout reps i woud not have any int i watches ..

Cheers

The reason I got into reps in the first place was not because of price, but because of the terrible attitudes and snobbishness that I found on the gen forums like TimeZone and WUS.

These individuals have large sums of money, but they argue over the stupidest things like children. These people are mindless zombies who have actually bought into the marketing hype of their perspective brands. Rolex enthusiasts treat their watches like gods, and they believe that all other watch brands are for the 'little people.' They then have long arguments over why Rolex is better than Omega and vice versa. It's just a nasty, condescending atmosphere.

I much prefer it here where the people are relaxed, amicable, and able to appreciate all watches.

The reason I got into reps in the first place was not because of price, but because of the terrible attitudes and snobbishness that I found on the gen forums like TimeZone and WUS.

These individuals have large sums of money, but they argue over the stupidest things like children. These people are mindless zombies who have actually bought into the marketing hype of their perspective brands. Rolex enthusiasts treat their watches like gods, and they believe that all other watch brands are for the 'little people.' They then have long arguments over why Rolex is better than Omega and vice versa. It's just a nasty, condescending atmosphere.

I much prefer it here where the people are relaxed, amicable, and able to appreciate all watches.

That's a very precise analysis that I can recognize as well. Sadly...

Hehe - it's interesting to see how many good people are using content from the Hitman series in their avatars.

It makes me feel really good, because I've been deeply involved in developing that character!

Wow, all I can say is thanks for the work you put in :) I only played the first game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not too sure what you make of the film adaptation, but personally, I really enjoyed it. At the end of the day, Agent 47 is responsible for my choice of attire for my 'formal' wedding next year :) I haven't had the barcode tattooed on the back of my head, but, I did notice that at the christening I mentioned, wearing 47's 'uniform', I was one of the more smartly dressed people in the room, even though the suit, shirt and tie were pretty much 'bargain bin' 'off the rack' garments. Simple, clean, classic. A winning combination ^_^

Wow, all I can say is thanks for the work you put in :) I only played the first game, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not too sure what you make of the film adaptation, but personally, I really enjoyed it. At the end of the day, Agent 47 is responsible for my choice of attire for my 'formal' wedding next year :) I haven't had the barcode tattooed on the back of my head, but, I did notice that at the christening I mentioned, wearing 47's 'uniform', I was one of the more smartly dressed people in the room, even though the suit, shirt and tie were pretty much 'bargain bin' 'off the rack' garments. Simple, clean, classic. A winning combination ^_^

Pics please!

Nice story by original post. I'm not a collector of replicas--not yet. I have ordered a couple and I'll see how it goes. What I do know is that this community, as it is with repgeek, is not what I was expecting to find. I thought all replica websites would be about faking watches to pass them off as real--and to do it as cheaply as possible. And to ultimately sell them as legit on ebay etc.. I also expected folks here and at repgeek to be idiots, following charlatans around buying one fake after another. So, I had all these thoughts--plus the reassuring, overbearing inclination to think all fakes would be easily spotted. Well, I'm wrong on all counts. Save for me perhaps being the lone idiot. One thing that led me here was seeing a post by a Legit website where the owner bought a PAM 217, if I remember right, and falling for it being GEN. This gentleman dealt with high end watches, so how was this possible? Well, from the few short weeks I've spent around here etc...it was probably a well executed REP. Then I bought one of the latest models from RXW--and I knew something great could be built without paying $10K for it. So here I am. I have all GENs as of right now--unless you consider RXW fake as it is. We'll see what the future holds--I surely have an open mind now.

There is something inherently gratifying about purchasing something that by and large cannot be recognised by most as a replica, and paying a fraction of the price. It is actually more exciting than gratifying and it is of course rather habit forming. Some of us collect gens and reps, while economics dictates that some of us can only purchase reps, and there is another category that could buy gens, but have great reluctance when they can buy 10 good reps as opposed to 1 gen. It seems almost foolish and a waste of money, but as always, to each his own. It is a great hobby

Being a gen owner too I am a member of TZ, and I can honestly say that I have never come across any snobishness whatsoever, I feel that is a streotypical view we have, so when we witness it, we recognise it as the norm. There are far less petty arguments (none) than there are here.

I agree with Kurzer et al. I have many gens, but reps are much more fun for me because i can tinker. It is the projecting- if that's a word, which it isn't - that provides the fun here... constantly trying to make things better, researching, even going off the res and making somthing fun ina way I would never ever consider with a gen...

• 2 years later...

1. I already have 2 gens and that is enough money invested in switzerland

2. I am frugal and I have a family to raise :thumbsupsmileyanim:

3. A friend bought a gen montblanc that crapped out on him and it is taking forever for montblanc to fix it. Whats the point?

4. I can stretch that $2K and get a lot of watches I like and I don't suffer from rep OCD. Once its close to a super rep then I am good, the only mod I do is a strap change if its leather. Not too big on my watches glowing in the dark as I hardly check my wrist to tell time, that is the job of my $200 cellphone :good:

5. Did I say I was frugal and I love watches:rofl:

Money!....... I have spent enough money on reps now to buy a gen sub. But then again, only having one watch is boooring :p

And I would not have fallen in love with Rollies if I havent started with reps. Always thought of it as a "Sleasy" watch. But now I know better.

If I EVER win the lottery......... Gens galore for me :D

Money and the potential for variety is why I collect/wear reps. I've got a few nice gens (Speedy Pro and SM300), and a couple nice reps (Omega, Rolex)...the reps give me the ability to have the variety that I want out of watches, without spending all of the money of the gens. My gens are watches that, to me, are timeless and that I can see myself wearing for a long time. The reps might also be that, but they are my test drive. I owned the "good" Speedy Pro rep before I bought the gen...the same will happen as I enter the vintage Rolex world. Yes, I have the money to buy whatever gen I want, but rather than spend that money on everything, I would rather have a few special watches that are "keepers" and enjoy the rest of the watches as reps.

Oh, and I can honestly say that if I were to win the lottery, I would still buy reps ;-)

I got into it by accident.

Stumbled across this forum seeking to find out more info about Swiss gen i own (after no help at WUS). Didn't even know it was a rep forum at first. My eyes widened as i read more.

Like a N00b right of passage i decided to buy the famous n00bmariner for very little money. Got addicted. The rest is is unfolding history.

Oh, and I own many gens.

Edit; didn't answer the question: i like collecting reps because they are like a dress rehearsal. I find it also broadens my taste.