When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Legendary watches

docdoc

I check the forum but couldn't find a thread dedicate only to legendary watches.

So I open this one so people could share their most legendary watches (pics very welcome).

By legendary I mean watches that brought innovation and revolution in the history of time.

Here is my favorite one :

the omega moonwatch speedmaster with the classic back (that's an easy one !)

800px-OMEGA-Speedmaster-Professional-Front.jpg

Omega_MoonWatch_Back2r.jpg

Edited by docdoc

Ironically, my watch is only noticed by fellow sky enthusiasts. Space guys like Fortis now for some reason. :p

Sinn 142, Lemania 5100

"1985 space flight that saw the Sinn 142 become the first automatic chronograph in space, at the hands of German Astronaut-Professor Reinhard Furrer"

http://sinn142.fateback.com/index.html

142new-1.jpeg

Sorry about the non-post. What I meant to say is that I had always heard automatic movements would not work in zero gravity in space (hence the Omega Moonwatch being a hind wind movement). Is this true?

False. And that was proved.

The accelaration of your arm/wrist move, give a shot of the energy to the rotor that will swirl even in zero gravity.

Rolex and Omega get a lot of press for historic contributions, and of course the grand masters such as Lange, Breguet, AP, UN for contributions in the 1700's and 1800's, but here are some interesting Breitling contributions from the 20th century:

- Invented the first independent chronogaph pushpiece that we have all grown so accustomed to in 1923

- ...and followed it up with the return to zero chronograph pushpiece eleven years later in 1934

-Invented the first self-winding chronograph in 1969. Prior to that automatics were restricted to lesser complications