When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

inside my GMT II ceramic

Star69

Forget the stamps and markings.

Check out the balance cap jewel and Kif Trior spring and holder. It's not a Kif setting but something totally different.

The Kif setting has 3 cutouts for the spring to fit into, this one has one cutout, it's not the real deal (at least not to my knowledge).

I have had a few of these in for servicing, they are not the best and I have had problems getting them to run well after servicing. Never ever had any problems with an ETA following servicing.

Trying to get the beat and rate adjusted was a frustrating experience when it should be simple.

Maybe I just had a few lemons of these new copy models, or maybe they are simply lemons...

My experience has not been good.

RG

Maybe I just had a few lemons of these new copy models, or maybe they are simply lemons...

RG

OK, so that settles my quandry. I will wait for swiss models.

@The Zigmeister-- have you seen any CHS models yet?

I agree with Ziggy -- that 'KIF' setting's singular cutout is a dead give-away that this is not a standard issue ETA (unless ETA or the company that makes the KIF components has changed their design). I have a guide that illustrates the standard KIF layout (near the end)

shocktypechart.jpg

CHS = Correct Hand Stack

Sorry. The Correct Hand Stack versions of the GMTIICs

Yes I believe I have seen all versions of the ETA 2836 modified GMT movements produced.

Other than the genuine ETA 2893-2 GMT movement, I stopped servicing or even luming the modified GMT movements.

Simply because they are too problematic. Gears breaking in two pieces when you remove the hands, hands slipping, poor quality parts, poor design, etc... The failure rate is very high on this model. The 2893-2 models have had zero returns or failures.

If you get one and it works, don't frig with it, leave it alone and enjoy it...

RG

Yes I believe I have seen all versions of the ETA 2836 modified GMT movements produced.

Other than the genuine ETA 2893-2 GMT movement, I stopped servicing or even luming the modified GMT movements.

Simply because they are too problematic. Gears breaking in two pieces when you remove the hands, hands slipping, poor quality parts, poor design, etc... The failure rate is very high on this model. The 2893-2 models have had zero returns or failures.

I have to ask the obvious question -- Is the ETA 2893-2 an even swap for the problematic movement? Same dimensions, hand sizes, etc.?

I have to ask the obvious question -- Is the ETA 2893-2 an even swap for the problematic movement? Same dimensions, hand sizes, etc.?

I have replaced a number of 2836-2's GMT movements with 2893-2's. In fact I am in the middle of doing one right now, a PAM 029 (or 027, I can't keep the numbers straight).

On this particular PAM the movement spacer ring is too small and I need to grind it down to get the 2893-2 to fit into it.

The other ones I have upgraded worked ok, other than needing a new GMT hand to fit the 2893-2, I can't remember any real big fitment issues or problems, it all seemed to go together fine.

But, as with anything on these reps, what worked on a watch today, may not work tomorrow simply due to the variations in production.

I did have a GMTII in for lume once, it came equipped from the factory with a 2893-2 inside, only one I have ever seen, and no idea where it came from...

RG

If you get one and it works, don't frig with it, leave it alone and enjoy it...

RG

Would Ofrei be a source for a ETA 2893-2 GMT movement?

I have replaced a number of 2836-2's GMT movements with 2893-2's. In fact I am in the middle of doing one right now, a PAM 029 (or 027, I can't keep the numbers straight).

On this particular PAM the movement spacer ring is too small and I need to grind it down to get the 2893-2 to fit into it.

The other ones I have upgraded worked ok, other than needing a new GMT hand to fit the 2893-2, I can't remember any real big fitment issues or problems, it all seemed to go together fine.

Ok, so there is at least 1 option.

But just to beat this dead horse a bit further into the ground - Do you know if the parts that typically go south on the 2836-2's can be swapped out for the same parts from the (more reliable) 2893-2s?

Put more simply -- Can you retrofit the reliable parts from an 2893-2 into the correct hand stack 2836-2? Or, can have your cake & eat it too?

Forget the stamps and markings.

Check out the balance cap jewel and Kif Trior spring and holder. It's not a Kif setting but something totally different.

The Kif setting has 3 cutouts for the spring to fit into, this one has one cutout, it's not the real deal (at least not to my knowledge).

I have had a few of these in for servicing, they are not the best and I have had problems getting them to run well after servicing. Never ever had any problems with an ETA following servicing.

Trying to get the beat and rate adjusted was a frustrating experience when it should be simple.

RG

[censored]! So what do we do now? Lessons learned, I guess :o ? Set on it? Wait and see? Damn! I hate this! I guess we could call this new GMT IIc - a "SUPERFICIAL BEAUTY - nothing from the inside!"

The 2893-2 is an excellent movement for sure, but if I'm not mistaken it has incorrect hand stack for the modern GMT Master II. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the GMT hand is below the hour hand on 2893-2.

The wrong hand stack genuine ETA 2836-2 (the GMT hand adjustable model) has never, ever given me even one single problem over the years. And I've owned many of them. The Asian versions are different I'm sure.

Hi

i would like to know if the hands of the asian 2836-2 can fit right without modifications to a swiss 2836-2

same to 2824-2

thanks

i think the hands will fit - as for the movement:

the price difference is so huge .... if it brakes ? i buy a new one :)

time/gmt - hand setting is exactly like on the incorrect hand stack ETA .

cheers,

Frank

I have to admit, after seeing this movement, I was convinced that also my Eta is an Asian clone. :o

I put the 2 pictures together and luckily I found some minor differences.

1: on mine is also a number engraved in the red circle

2: the “+” mark on mine is engraved on the bridge while the Asian on almost fall off

3: one screw is silver on mine and black on the Asian one.

The look pretty close though and since my name is not Rob or Freddy, it would be hard for me to tell the difference if I don’t have them next to each other.

post-9210-1214856629_thumb.jpg

4: The hole side to release the stem is more square on Swiss than on Asian.

okay - so its more a "time bomb" than

i guess i leave it untouched and see how long it will run

Well...I can tell you how long my GMTIIc Asian lasted. Received it on Thursday morning. Died today (Monday evening). So that's about four and a half days of normal wear. Only adjusted it for time a couple of instances. Very disappointing, to say the least.

I'm not a repair expert so I don't know what's wrong on the inside. I was considering taking it to be fixed... but it sounds like there may be issues with the movement as a whole.

Other flaws (unrelated to the movement)... slightly tilted crystal (the cyclops side of the crystal is raised above the plane of the bezel by a millimeter or so). Unusually sharp edges on the bracelet. And I agree with another poster... the clasp scratches very easily.

Well...I can tell you how long my GMTIIc Asian lasted. Received it on Thursday morning. Died today (Monday evening). So that's about four and a half days of normal wear. Only adjusted it for time a couple of instances. Very disappointing, to say the least.

I'm not a repair expert so I don't know what's wrong on the inside. I was considering taking it to be fixed... but it sounds like there may be issues with the movement as a whole.

Other flaws (unrelated to the movement)... slightly tilted crystal (the cyclops side of the crystal is raised above the plane of the bezel by a millimeter or so). Unusually sharp edges on the bracelet. And I agree with another poster... the clasp scratches very easily.

okay its ticking - so it will break today here - lets see :)

serious - did you sent it back to the dealer ?

Frank