When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A "legal"? Franken, on the 'bay!

offshore

Thought this was all a bit interesting....moreso the sellers response to a question :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Oyster-Explorer-Rol...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hmmm, so we can "legally" sell frankens... as long as there is no dial shown??????

Offshore

PS This seller "got" me on a vintage piece about 12 months ago...gen watch, advertised as running, arrived corroded and frozen, the hands still as photographed.... seller blamed the post, and ebay could care less!

Maybe I need to report this.....just to be vindictive........... :rolleyes:

Yes. You must attack those who have offended you. Knowing you did something to cause harm or disruption to the offending party lets us put the harm they did to us behind us so we can go on.

But the attack should be ten fold. Report him as a pervert or something similar. Inflict real damage.

But the attack should be ten fold. Report him as a pervert or something similar. Inflict real damage.

:D

He actually lied, and was a thief.....but I hear you!

Maybe I'll only report him 5 times :p ....not as bad as 10 lashes, or getting your hands cut off!

Offshore

:D

He actually lied, and was a thief.....but I hear you!

Maybe I'll only report him 5 times :p ....not as bad as 10 lashes, or getting your hands cut off!

Offshore

Or getting 'other' appendages cut off!

I dont understand. Whatis he selling thats so bad?It doesnt look like a replica to me buy any means.

well if you read the description... "Special order Explorer/Oyster styled case "

Looks pretty shifty to me.

dizz

Guest carlsbadrolex

Whats the issue? This cant even be called a "franken". There are probably 1000 auctions just like this one up right now.

I guess you could start reporting all of the Invicta's that look like Subs and Yachtmasters too!

Well I thought using the brand "Rolex", to promote for sale, something which it clearly is not, was against ebays trading conditions??

I have no problem with an Invicta, or any other brand, but was of the belief that the use of the brand name was not acceptable. I suppose the use of "style" may tone this down, but it clearly is promoting construction of a Franken, even to encouraging the addition of a Rolex movement.

Offshore

Guest avitt

A couple of years ago, I was keeping a close eye on vintage Daytona cases on eBay. Back then you could advertise a case a "replacement", without issue. (Personally, I believe that this is how it should be, since these parts are no longer available from Rolex, and there is a legitimate demand for such parts).

In some cases, the parts were fully generic...In other cases, the parts were engraved. At that time, the only thing that would cause a listing to be pulled down was a picture of the Rolex coronet logo on a part that was described as aftermarket.

Considering the current climate at eBay, I would guess that things are much tighter now...

Implicit in his description is the understanding that the case can & should be used with an ETA to create a franken (Rolex Explorer). But since he does not infer the case is genuine or recommend, explicitly, that it be used to infringe Rolex's trademark, I am not sure he is actually breaking any rules. But, based on Monday's French court decision, I guess you could make the argument that his auction implies trademark infringement, which might ruffle his feathers a bit if ebay formally warns him.

Guest carlsbadrolex
So what would be the acceptable way for him to have described it and still get the point across?

I think the general opinion is that the way he advertised the watch is acceptable...

I sell about 25 electric guitars per day on Ebay. They are advertises as STRAT Style of TELE Style...

Fender attempted to shut us down and were not able to.

As long as I dont say they are made by Fender, Im safe! NOW, I cannot tell you that people dont buy my guitars and a waterslide sticker and tell people they are Fenders..............

Well I thought using the brand "Rolex", to promote for sale, something which it clearly is not, was against ebays trading conditions??

I have no problem with an Invicta, or any other brand, but was of the belief that the use of the brand name was not acceptable. I suppose the use of "style" may tone this down, but it clearly is promoting construction of a Franken, even to encouraging the addition of a Rolex movement.

Offshore

Assuming everthing you say is true, it violates eBay's rules, etc..

So what?

He is not trying to scam anyone - are we really in the business of policing the sale of after market parts that hint at their intended use?

Guest avitt

People who sell fake parts on eBay are not the enemy. People who try to sell fake parts as real are scammers, and are the enemy.

eBay does not allow the sellers to explicitly state that their parts are fake. Therefore, the seller must use clever language and innuendo to make it clear to the buyer that the part is not genuine. When this happens, the buyer is making an informed purchase, and the seller is fulfilling a demand.

We should not target people who are making reasonable efforts to indicate that their products aren't genuine. That job should be left for the brand owners, and for eBay.

Both excellent statements. Selling fake parts is not a scam. Hell there are lots of companires that produce replacement parts for everything from handguns to automobiles. They are in fact copies too. In many cases that is the only way some people could afford to get replacements over paying $700 for a watch bracelet.

And yes I think that the policing thing has gotten out of control. There are some people on the boards who are actually going into ADs now and accusing them of having fakes in their cases. They gotta get a grip.