When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm beginning to think that no AR is better than rep AR

bruce79

Is it just me or is the overly bluish tint of the rep AR a dead giveaway? I've seen more than my share of gen pams and I know there are several gen owners here on the forum. None of the gens that I've seen give off the amount of bluish tint seen in our reps. Can some of the owners of gen pams & rep pams take a look and weigh in? I had two of my pam crystals treated with Chief's double AR which I then removed the outer coating making them single AR and the results are very pleasing and as close to gen as you can get...IMO. Then I look at my rep single AR and it just screams fake. What do you think?

I think it depends on the model and maker. But in the past I've asked myself the same question.

I had my ultimate 111e redone by K2222 (single AR) and compared it with the standard 111h with 'AR'. The first clearly absorbs a portion of the reflections under most angles (not as spectacular as double AR from K2222) and the latter didn't do anything than having a blueish tint. I think the 'AR' on this model was a non-functional blueish coating.

I also have an ultimate PAM164 with AR. This looks like a more functional coating and it diminishes some reflections. But still not as good as on the one that K2222 did.

So I drew the conclusion for myself not to expect too much of rep coating and calculate an extra budget for aftermarket AR by Chief or K2222.

I suppose it may vary model to model but of the hundreds of gen pics I've seen on certain gen forums, not once have I seen any indications of blue AR so that tells me that it's so subtle that the idea is they don't want you to see it. All I see on the gen pams is reflections...which is why I've removed all of the outer coatings of Chief's AR...as beautiful as the outer AR, just the inner coating is correct...and I've begun to dig the reflections...on my pams

If Chief would be willing, I bet there would be a big enough demand for his Single AR Coating for pams...I for sure would be interested.

Bruce it depends on the models for example some of the SE models dont even have AR. Another example is this gen 112J the AR is very faint and has a slight purplish/bluish hue to it. The next time we have a socal get together I'll point it out to you.

You were at the Carlsbad get together right?

I have seen double AR coating on mineral crystals too. Wouldn't recommend that, the colour will look a bit "funky" with a slight greenish tint.

As for AR coating on PAM, the gen didn't have that overblue tint. Just subtle AR which looks like a single sided coating (have seen I series, same thing... the blue is not obvious at all).

I have thought about stripping the DSN crystal on my fiddy for this very reason.

Curiously, I have the same thought on my mind this week. I just hate to see that blue stain on my DSN Fiddy. It just disturbes the view of the beauty beneath.

If Chief would be willing, I bet there would be a big enough demand for his Single AR Coating for pams...I for sure would be interested.

I'd be in too for a couple of PAMs.

Cheers!

I'm not normally one for modding my watches, but I think I might have to get my 104 AR coated, as reflections in the cyclops make it very hard to actually read the date :( It's not something I plan to do in the immediate future, as I can live with it for a while, but I think it will be something which needs doing eventually... What kind of costs would I be looking at for single-sided AR?

I'm not normally one for modding my watches, but I think I might have to get my 104 AR coated, as reflections in the cyclops make it very hard to actually read the date :( It's not something I plan to do in the immediate future, as I can live with it for a while, but I think it will be something which needs doing eventually... What kind of costs would I be looking at for single-sided AR?

Probably the same as double ar...but Chief just coated a bunch of pam cyclops' with DAR and I think he should have a few left over.

I just wanted to start a thread on this topic and came across this one... yesterday I received a 111h from precious time, which IMHO is very well made for the money and is a good starting point for a quite good rep, but the AR is useless.

I doubt, that it is a anti reflective coating, looks more like a blueish SUPER reflective coating. The case back without any AR looks so much nicer that I decided to remove the AR completely and get a single AR aftermarket.

Edited by chefcook

I have a couple of gen PAMs (F & G series) and both series have AR coating. However, the F series, tobacco dial, has a very faint ?purple? tint, while the G series 005 has no visible tint at all. I totally dislike the rep AR coatings, but as most of my reps are of the earlier preV, preA, A, B & C series watches AR coating isn't correct for many of them anyhow. The only rep AR that I'm happy with is my ETA SOSF, which incidentally I consider to be possibly the best standard production rep ever.

The only watch I have that blue AR looks nice on is my 082 -

The rest suck.....they do nothing except light up blue when a bright light hits it and practically advertise "FAKE"

Got a few purple crystals and some yellow/green ish - all true AR and the difference is huge...

The best Rep AR I have is on my 183-G from 2 years ago - so light it's hardly noticeable but it makes the dial look mint !!

FGD

Probably the same as double ar...but Chief just coated a bunch of pam cyclops' with DAR and I think he should have a few left over.

When you say cyclops, do you mean just the cyclops, or a crystal with a cyclops fitted? That said, I know that the fitment of my 104 crystal is spot on as the watch is water-resistant, so I think I'd be more comfortable having my crystal coated, rather than risking the fitment of a replacement crystal. Thanks for the mention though :good:

When you say cyclops, do you mean just the cyclops, or a crystal with a cyclops fitted? That said, I know that the fitment of my 104 crystal is spot on as the watch is water-resistant, so I think I'd be more comfortable having my crystal coated, rather than risking the fitment of a replacement crystal. Thanks for the mention though :good:

To the best of my knowledge it's just cyclops that he's coated.