When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A demand I surrender my Rolex watches.

georgegrasser

Dont get scared and do something stupid. Its VERY unlikely that rolex is going to fine you for a measly $300 because you were affiliated with a replica watch. There are just WAY too many holes. The whole thing smells like a scam.

http://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=318471 is a legality site stating the same thing. Do nothing!

The whole thing smells after looking it up. I would just not respond. You are not liable for something getting lost, if the mail wasnt certified (you didnt have to sign), how did you even get the letter? ;)

I did not get the letter yet. The PDF E-Mail states that I was notified both via E-Mail and Certified First Class Mail.

I have less than nothing. I'm not worried about anything except the loss of my reps by forfeiture.

I glad I bought the MBW ROO and Nautilus instead of looking for a job. Then I would have something to lose.

I did not get the letter yet. The PDF E-Mail states that I was notified both via E-Mail and Certified First Class Mail.

I have less than nothing. I'm not worried about anything except the loss of my reps by forfeiture.

I glad I bought the MBW ROO and Nautilus instead of looking for a job. Then I would have something to lose.

If you receive a certified letter from Rolex or their attorneys in the next 7 business days, then I would begin to worry. If not, I would hold the PDF for 30 days & then confidently toss it out with yesterday's news.

if you have to talk to them, DENY everything, think of any paper trails you may have left along the way and remove them. if denying doesnt work tell them this is libellous, and is becoming harassment, and you'll countersue them for wrongful prosecution if they wanna push it further.

makes me nervous too, i have watch on the way via EMS, and the tracking isnt even in the system as of 4 business days.

goodluck, im sure youre just a small fish to them and theyre trying to make an example of you. move your reps somewhere else other than your legal dwellings...you never know.

Throw the letter in the garbage and move on.

Great, and the best, advice.

GAF can bluster all they like. Their chances of successfully actioning something like this are somewheere between 1 and 2 million to one!

Never known a legal body to run with those odds.

(Actually wipe your **** with the letter, prior to throwing it)

Offshore

If it is a scam it has been going on for years and the $350 amount has always been the same amount. This goes nowhere unless you actually sign and pay them the $350 or send them the watches. We call that admission of guilt in this country. With no physical evidence there is no case. And who is to say the pictures you used to offer the items are pictures of the actual items. ;) I think you catch my drift. So I would suggest you take it seriously and also seriously "legally" ignore it. I have never heard of one of these cases being pursued. But I certainly wouldn't offer the items in a public forum.

And if you think about it for the cost of 5 minutes of legal time Rolex has slowed down one theoretical dealer. It is actually pretty smart. It works for everyone (except you of course). Rolex scares a few people and the lawyers are paid per letter sent.

I would ask for their data sheets so we can finally have some accurate reps!

Or... better yet... do as Navigater does and say... "you have not seen a replica until you've seen the on on _____ forum.. and then give them someone else's picture!" Maybe they will ignore you and go after him?

sorry to make funny,, receiving letter like that is not funny at all...

but everyone who says that is a scam is not listening to by-tor and others who pointed out that this does happen to members from time to time.

Deny everything,, they dont want to spend the resources to try and prove it was you.. Rolex would only go after monetary damages (that is why they ask for a little coin from you). A quick asset investigation shows you dont have much... why throw good money after bad??

Originally posted this on another site, but think it's very applicable to the discussion at hand.

---

I'm not sure how the privacy laws exactly work in the US (or other countries in question)... but in general, Privacy laws prohibit a government agency from handing over personal information to outside entities.

Even transfer of personal information between government agencies is burdened by some pretty heavy regulations.

Now, a private corporation getting what should be confidential information to me, is a serious breach of privacy. So if in the US, this would mean CBP is likely violating some kind of privacy act.

As far as Rolex is concerned, the only interaction between them and Government/Customs should be...

Government: "Here is a watch sent to an unnamed individual in our jurisdiction. Is it fake?"

Rolex: "Yes, it's fake".

Government: "Thanks for the opinion."

And that's it... if anybody is pursue any action, then it's the government's call. Rolex could go after damages, but legally they would have to know your name first. If privacy laws are being followed the only way that would happen is if you were publicly charged.

Then they would have to investigate to find your address and then send the letter. It sounds like personal information is being handed out just for the asking.

I will state again, as someone that has been through it, ignore the letter, ignore a hard copy if you get one, and DO Nothing at all. Don't respond, don't send them money. Don't send them watches. if you do, you are inviting Dracula to dinner.

Originally posted this on another site, but think it's very applicable to the discussion at hand.

---

I'm not sure how the privacy laws exactly work in the US (or other countries in question)... but in general, Privacy laws prohibit a government agency from handing over personal information to outside entities.

Even transfer of personal information between government agencies is burdened by some pretty heavy regulations.

Now, a private corporation getting what should be confidential information to me, is a serious breach of privacy. So if in the US, this would mean CBP is likely violating some kind of privacy act.

As far as Rolex is concerned, the only interaction between them and Government/Customs should be...

Government: "Here is a watch sent to an unnamed individual in our jurisdiction. Is it fake?"

Rolex: "Yes, it's fake".

Government: "Thanks for the opinion."

And that's it... if anybody is pursue any action, then it's the government's call. Rolex could go after damages, but legally they would have to know your name first. If privacy laws are being followed the only way that would happen is if you were publicly charged.

Then they would have to investigate to find your address and then send the letter. It sounds like personal information is being handed out just for the asking.

Think you have agreed to ioffer giving your details to anyone who is a Member of their C.O.P.S system.

If you read the terms and conditions you will find reference to this contingent and also their policy on fake and replica goods.While 99% of things on ioffer are fake you do run the risk of the copy right holders getting hold of you.

There was a case in Texas I think where a husband and wife were sentenced to 5 years for persistent use of ioffer to sell copy Rolex.

I beleive they had been warned and didn't take any notice just continuing to sell copies in the end the lawyers did prosecute and they got heavy fines confiscation orders and prison.

Of course they were not exactly the same as this poster but it has been known for lawyers to go the distance and prosecute persistent offenders.

That said I know lots of people who have had the letters after the items are seized by customs this maybe a breach of personal info rules but this is not the case with the original poster to the lawyers he was a seller of counterfeit Rolex small or large successful or not still offering counterfeit Rolex . You will find that most auction sites have this same policy about releasing names and addresses to anyone acting with the authority of the rights owner. In the case of ioffer they have no real choice as if they were obstructive I am sure the rights owners would take them to court and close the site

forget about this story. period. they never saw your watch in person. they dont have any proof that it is a replica. you can always say that the pictures were not the pictures of the actual item. this is a joke.

they are looking for suckers who get scared and admit the crime even if nothing happened.

The letter arrived today via First Class Mail.

Not certified, and even if it was I would not respond as no other persons have reported a negative result by ignoring the letter.

So I feel it's the safest bet.

Edited by mil_sub

GAF are such cheap pricks!

Demanding money and can't even front up with the cash for a "registered" to prove receipt.

Bet they still bill Rolex for plenty!

Forget completely about this.... although you could send me a copy, I threw away the couple

I received :rofl:

Offshore

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just had my legal secretary draft a letter to Rolex's security department requesting that I be put on their "watch list". I am really jealous of all you guys getting these certified letters (they really cheaped out on you George). And I want in on the action! I have bought 4 gens from Rolex AD's over the years and I dont even get a God Damned Christmas Card.

If I were you George, I would send it back to them certified stating that Rolex must be in a HORRIBLE position if they cannot afford proper legal service of these notices. If they attempt to blame it on the replica trade, tell them that its actually a result of the God Forsaken design changes they have been making to classic time pieces!

That should shut them up!!!

Guest Carl
Bet they still bill Rolex for plenty!

Forget completely about this.... although you could send me a copy, I threw away the couple

I received :rofl:

Offshore

They don't get anything from this except what they scam from small operators, with Rolex permission.

Rolex support and authorize it as it keeps these little horror stories in play, without them having to pay anything at all.

It's been going on for years. I don't even think the price has changed!

Carl