When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mamma Mia

KB

I said in the opening post that I am an ABBA fan, I don't have a problem admitting that I also like Air Supply (not sure about the gay comment as I don't connect sexually with bands) and the original Seekers, however I also have a big thing for Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and then almost everything in between....Billy Joel is another favourite....this was never meant to be a who is the best discussion.....I just wanted to know about a stage play and a movie...that has grossed over 2 Billion dollars worldwide thus far.

Ken

Hey Ken,

The gay comments were from me. In my part of the world, gay is sometimes used as slang for whimpy, or lame, or weak. I realize this is not really politically correct, but it was just an attempt as light hearted humor.... LOL as I type this i am seeing a commercial on the TV for Mamma Mia the movie...I certainly wasn't intending to offend or insult anyone.

But what would you expect from someone who listened to AC/DC, UFO, RUSH, Pat Travers Band, Led Zeppelin, The Scorpions...stuff like that during the 70's / early 80's. :punk:

In the words of Joe Dirt, "I'm a ROCKER, through and through".

OK, now you can make fun of me for being able to quote from the movie Joe Dirt!! :D

Buddy, I hate to admit it too, but the tunes are damn catchy. Kinda like Boney M and Bee Gees. I have a kick ass stereo in the car and find myself listening to them. I am leary though. I have a convertible and have to turn it down so others cannot hear. All I need is some [censored] screaming "Nice music fag, does it come in men's?" LOL, you know I'm just making fun Ken. ABBA RULES!!

"Nice music fag, does it come in men's?"

:lol:

That's gotta be the funniest thing I have read this week.....made my day :D

Seriously if people still want to know what I see in ABBA listen to the following clip of Chiquitita

Crisp clean chords, running harmonies and of course the lovely vocals in general....warning though...listen to the clip don't look at the cheesy set up.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwrwBDycQFs

Lets not forget how perfectly in unison these guys sing, ask any muscian and they will tell you that's no mean feat in itself.

Ken

Other people are performing ABBA's songs all the time... in different forms and shapes. Pop music has always been very much tied to the original performer, and their original performing style. I think in ABBA's case the actual songs have become more important than the band itself. In that sense it has become almost like "classical music".

They're a big part of the popular culture, gotta give them that... that still doesn't make them (musically) anything special in my eyes. But then again music taste is 100% subjective... you can debate about how "technically good" something is, but after that there are no "right" or "wrong" opinions. That's why it's so hilarious that many people take these matters personally... I mean, music is always potentially great and (in good way) heated debate... as long as people are adults enough (like Ken) to approach it the correct way. Why should people always agree... I mean, how awfully boring is that?

PS: My girlfriend absolutely hates Rush, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin (that are among my all-time favorites). So what? More music for me....eh...kinda. :D

I'm with Ken on this one all the way. I love all kinds of music. Some more than others, but I will listen to anything. I like ABBA, I also like the Carpenters. I also like the BeeGees and the Scissor Sisters... And John Barrowman... Oh dear, I guess I'd better call off the wedding, as I'm obviously a rump-wrangler.... :rolleyes::lol:

I'd better listen to some Rammstein to re-boot my 'manliness subroutines' :lol:

Seriously though, I think ABBA were a great band, and their enduring popularity proves that. Will people be listening to Evenascence and McFly in 30 years? Possibly, but I think not...

As for the movie, the guys on the poster make me laugh with the 'poses'. They're "Hey, I'm Mr.Darcy Colin Firth. I'm English but am still 'with it'... "I'm Pierce Brosnan, and don't need to say anything else about it!" and the guy in the middle... "I'm running with the Big Dogs so have to try extra special to get attention and 'look cool' (but am failing miserably)" :lol:

"I'm running with the Big Dogs so have to try extra special to get attention and 'look cool' (but am failing miserably)"

:D .................................................... Story of my life :(

Ken :animal_rooster: