When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Grand Carrera

I ordered one of these from the dreaded 'cartel'.

i'm still waiting to get it - i saw that its 18mm thick.

that seems like a monster- i can't think of any other watches

that size. i once tried on a gen and don't remember it being so bulky.

it seems like the mods of the A 7750 really made it bigger.

Has anyone actually seen it yet?

No big deal. :)

I think the rep might be too thick. How much, I don't know... and I don't know if it's noticeable. Someone mentioned that the movement used in the gens is way thinner.

Anyway... the price tag ($400) is a bit greasy, don't you think?

yeah... 18mm is the height of the Bretling Avenger, and that include a bezel, so the case itself is less than 18mm. For the Tag, the case don't have turnable bezel, that means it's FAT, maybe too FAT IMHO, the gen is more balance.

UPDATE: The tickness of the GEN is 16mm:

hXXps://www.bernardwatch.com/watch/TAGCAV511A.FC6225

I got my info here: http://www.gemnation.com/watches/Tag-Heuer...17-RS-3748.html

Website quote:

"Item number: CAV511A.BA0902

Brand: Tag Heuer

Style Number: CAV511A.BA0902

Also Called: CAV511ABA0902, CAV511A

Series: Grand Carrera Chronograph Calibre 17 RS

Style: Mens

Case: Stainless Steel

Dial Color: Black with Circular Guilloche

Watch Bracelet / Strap: Stainless Steel

Watch Clasp: Deployant - Hidden Folding Push-button, TH Logo

Movement: Automatic C.O.S.C.

Engine: TAGHeuer Calibre 17 RS COSC

Functions: Hours, Minutes, Small Rotating Seconds at 3, Chronograph Center Sweep Seconds, Small Rotating Chronograph Minutes at 9, Date

Watch Chronograph: Screw-in chronograph push-buttons

Crystal: Sapphire - Scratch Resistant

Case Diameter: 43.0 mm

Case Thickness: 14.85 mm

Caseback: Scratch-resistant sapphire caseback with Steel decorated bridge, secured with 6 screws

Bezel Material: Stainless Steel

Bezel Function: Fixed

Mass: 204.4 g

Water Resistance: 100m / 330ft (suitable for swimming and shallow snorkeling; unsuitable for diving)

Crown: Screw-down, Stainless Steel, Fluted, with TH Logo

Calendar: Automatic Date at 6 o'clock

Watch Bracelet Length: 8.5 inches"

Cheers! B)

I was really looking forward to this watch and had it high on my list, but at 18mm I think the case is too thick for me. I don't like big chunky watches and this one just doesn't seem as if its going to have the balance of the original with the extra 3mm of height. Might have to pass on this one sadly, as I love the look of the gen.

"3mm size difference is quite a flaw for a watch costing nearly $400. I think i will have to pass. "

I'd agree. A 20% increase in size should be easily noticeable. That flaw alone kills any hope that this will ever be classed as a super rep. And $400 for a watch with that obvious a flaw seems a bit steep to me.

Hey Noel Fleischer... I'm basically waiting for you to get yours so PLEASE report back. Include some pictures too if you will... so we can get a good "real world" look. I dont think the 3mm will bother me to much as long as it has the look, feel and overall quality. Did you get white or black?

Edited by deemaster

Hopefully Monday or Tuesday for mine samurai...

Get some pics up asap for everyone..

Yea, thanks for being willing to post some pics! I'm not really to concerned about the thickness... we all pretty much know what that's going to be... I'm more curious about the close-up and overall quality of the piece!

I'm not really to concerned about the thickness... we all pretty much know what that's going to be...

Still don't know how it's going to feel though... <_<

That's my main concern.

And actually, we really still don't know for sure about the tickness of the thing. It's still all rumours until someone actually sees it.

Edited by therooster

Yes, 18mm is way to thick, for any watch IMO.

Hockey puck proportions.

Hope you have an 8'' wrist.

A lot of reps are much thicker than the gens.

For me thickness of the watch is THE most important aspect. But I have only a 6.5 inch wrist.

Many current 7750 chronos are just way to thick.

Best of luck.

Yes, 18mm is way to thick, for any watch IMO.

Hockey puck proportions.

Hope you have an 8'' wrist.

A lot of reps are much thicker than the gens.

For me thickness of the watch is THE most important aspect. But I have only a 6.5 inch wrist.

Many current 7750 chronos are just way to thick.

Best of luck.

I have a 6.5" wrist too, but I don't share your opinion on that jeff. Here my opinion.

I bought a Skyland that is 17-18mm thick with the bezel, and yes, it's thick like a puck, but it's the look that Breitling want to give. It's thick on all kind of wrist. These kind of watch has a lot of presence and it's the goal (like panarai). Of course, all my other watch are not thick as the Skyland (Rolies, navitimer, speedy moon, etc.etc.), but a thick watch can have a place with a 6.5" wrist in a collection. The most important is the lug tip to lug tip size, it need to be just the same or under the size of your wrist. And the lup tip design is important too. A straight end lug tip can be more problematic, like a UPO, some pilot watch like the IWC 3717. Another factor is, if you have a "flat" wrist instead a "round" wrist, that help too.