When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FIXING MISALIGNED SUBDIAL HAND ON 187!!

Ok. I think I'm going to attempt to fix the subdial hand on this thing. I can remove the crown guard and back. And, with the right size screw driver, I'm fairly confident I can remove the stem without screwing up the movement. Question is, how are the screw-down pushers coupled to movement? Are they easily removed? Once the stem and pushers are removed, it should be fairly easy to remove the movement/dial assembly from the case, right?

I already have a hand remover. I'll also utilize a clear plastic sheet with a slit to protect the dial while removing the hand. Any tips before attempting this are greatly appreciated.

Edited by leitztozeiss

Ok. I think I'm going to attempt to fix the subdial hand on this thing. I can remove the crown guard and back. And, with the right size screw driver, I'm fairly confident I can remove the stem without screwing up the movement. Question is, how are the screw-down pushers coupled to movement? Are they easily removed? Once the stem and pushers are removed, it should be fairly easy to remove the movement/dial assembly from the case, right?

I already have a hand remover. I'll also utilize a clear plastic sheet with a slit to protect the dial while removing the hand. Any tips before attempting this are greatly appreciated.

More than likely there will be a metal ring around the movement. This ring will serve two purposes. It will hold the movement at center in the case. It also houses "pusher extenders" for the chrono functions. In other words the movement is much smaller than the case and the actual pushers you see on the case wouldn't reach the movement. So the ring has these free floating pushers that serve to extend the actual case pushers. You shouldn't have to remove the actual pushers from the watch!

Sounds complicated but should be easy. Once you get in there you will see how it works. Just be cautious and take some time to analyize where everything sits before you start removing parts! My Chrono Avenger is built this way so I'm guessing the 187 is no different. You'll also likely have to remove two small flat head screws that will hold thhe movement into this ring. Just make sure you are cautious of these "pusher extenders" so that you don't lose them.

Hope I've helped you out!

Cheers,

Jon :victory:

Edited by Bignasty

BigNasty, once the stem and movement holder screws are removed, will the movement come out without the spacer ring, or do they fall out together? I'm guessing that the spacer ring stays in place when I flip the watch over??

They should both come out. This is where you must be careful not to loose the "floating/extending pushers". Take a peice of paper and place it over the movement. Then carefully flip the watch over. The movement and ring will come out in your hand. Do all of these preferably in a well light area over a table and on a floor with no carpet. If you have an area like that!

Good luck!

Jon

Is this the stem release button, as shown in the pic below? Thanks.

81270-30301.jpg

Yes! Don't push too hard!

Jon

On the honpo 187 the pushers are 2 piece but not with a floating connector in the movt spacer. The spacer and movt is removed easily just by letting it drop out from the opposite side to the psuhers complete with movt ring. Replacement is a reverse - tip the movt into the case - it will be obvious. No need to remove the pushers. Again in the honpo case the internal part of the pusher has a screwdriver slot whch allows the pusher to seperate and be removed from the case.

Sorry about the many questions. But, as I push *lightly* do I pull also on the crown? (Of course, all of this after moving the crown to the outer time setting position)

Yes pull and push at the same time being very careful not to push too hard. Also be very careful not to slip off of the release button while pulling. This is one of those situations where a case holder/vise is very helpful!

Good luck again!

Jon :victory:

Holy crap . . . I did it!!! Pics shortly . . .

Very glad to hear! Doesn't it feel good when its all done? Its so stressful while the watch is open but when I get that caseback on and double-check for dust/functionality it feels so good!

Talk about a great beer break! :bounce:

Cheers,

Jon

First removed case back using the balled duck tape technique. Disassembled crown guard B from case by removing screws C. Removed crown A per Jon's instructions above. Removed movement holding screws D.

81387-30287.jpg

Held a clear plastic sheet against movement, and flipped watch upside down so that movement falls out of case and onto plastic sheet in hand . . .

81387-30288.jpg

Cut slit in a small square of clear plastic sheet and slid the sheet between dial and underside of subdial hand. Using hand remover tool (making sure tool feet rest against plastic sheet and NOT the dial), removed the offending 30-minute subdial hand . . .

81387-30289.jpg

Duck taped the movement/dial assembly to the table in absence of movement holder (perhaps should've done that before the hand removal - oh well, live and learn) . . .

81387-30290.jpg

Used Edge technique of using clear gift wrap tape to hold hand while positioning . . .

81387-30291.jpg

Once in position, press the subdial hand home using the tube end of a pen ink refill . . .

81387-30292.jpg

Notice assembly of pushers and case . . . movement has to be guided sideways and down into the case so that pusher ends enter apertures in side of movement . . .

81387-30293.jpg

Screw movement down, insert crown (this took me several times, and a couple of heart stopping moments before realizing that I should've first centered the movement so that the aperture in the movement for receiving the stem is properly centered with respect to the stem hole in the side of the case) . . . voila . . . a couple of days to think about it, and about 45 minutes to actually do it.

81387-30294.jpg

Edited by leitztozeiss

Holy crap . . . I did it!!! Pics shortly . . .

Doc...glad to see that everything went well...i know that I wouldn't be capable of doing it...so if i get mine 187 with the misaligned subdial hand, I'll send it to you for repair!

cheers!

nice job and even better showing us the pics. one question. when you use the clear tape to reposition the sub hand, it appears the adhesive is only attached to the sub hand at the center circle... is that right, and is there any risk when you do this of getting the tape against the lume and tearing some off? thx.

:thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim:

. . . is there any risk when you do this of getting the tape against the lume and tearing some off? thx.

Ooh. I didn't think about that while doing this. Yes, I made sure the adhesive only touched the end of the hand with the hole, but did so to facilitate separation of the hand from the tape once pressed into position. But, your reason sounds like a better reason for doing this!!

Edited by leitztozeiss