When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA

RobbieG

The more expensive one actually looks to be a fake. The shock protection on the balance looks wrong. Should look more like a clover if I am not mistaken. The cheaper one looks correct to me.

I could be full of [censored] and have no idea what I am saying, but that is my opinion.

To my eye it is the opposite. The nickel movement looks to have Incabloc and the brass movement appears to have a lower cost alternative of some sort. I beleive there is also another alternative to Incabloc that ETA uses called Etachoc or something...

Look what I found on the bay. A 2824 which claims to be Swiss but yet has a naked rotor...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-2824-2-Mens-new-Or...1QQcmdZViewItem

...and this one which appears more typical and for much more money...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETA-Automatic-Movement...Q2em118Q2el1247

Edited by RobbieG

What about the blank rotor and the weird shock device Rob? I'm sure you have seen those before, but I can't say as I have. I guess if it is genuine it must be an ebauche rotor as the complete movement ones are usually stamped, no?

They both appear to be 100% ETA from my eye.

RG

The second one is definitely ETA with the right shock protector.

The first one has the shock protector that the Chinese versions are using, kind of 3 leafed.

Its hard to see on the balance jewel, but you can see it well on the large jewel on the top plate.

The shock absorber on the first one is a KIF Trior model, very common on many ETA's. As for the rotor, since ETA makes many ebauches and has a number of finishes available (for companies like Sellita), this rotor could simply have been left blank for the addition of the watch manufacturers logo...the fact it's blank doesn't cause concern. Not when everything else appears to be ETA.

I think they are both genuine movements from the pics supplied on the ads.

RG

Found this some time ago. I do not believe it's on Paul's sight any more so good thing I saved it.

swssandasianetakd3.jpg

The ETA stamp on the base plate means NOTHING. There are many examples of Asian built movements on genuine ebauches from ETA.

I don't know how anyone would justify bidding on the second one. The pic is from an ad not pictures of the actual movement being sold. Would you buy a car on ebay if they showed you a picture from Chrysler's website of the vehicle and not the actual auto???

The shock absorber on the first one is a KIF Trior model, very common on many ETA's. As for the rotor, since ETA makes many ebauches and has a number of finishes available (for companies like Sellita), this rotor could simply have been left blank for the addition of the watch manufacturers logo...the fact it's blank doesn't cause concern. Not when everything else appears to be ETA.

RG

It

RG

What do you think about the PH that is stamped just beside the ETA-logo?

I have not seen this on genuine ETA.

PS

LOL, thats a pretty ironic quote right there! Hows the other one doing Zig?

Ah good, someone is paying attention to the small details... :)

My eye is doing much better, swelling has finally gone down and I am not in pain anymore, but it's still blood red all over...going to be a while before it's absorbed.

I still look like a freak.

RG