When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to age a dial....

Ben

Hi,

I've done some searching but so far all I can find are great pictures of vintage dials, but no explanation on how you have achieved the look of the dial, so if someone could shed some light I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks Ben

I've not done anything yet, I had heard of tea bags, smoke and the like but was unsure of how to actually do this to the dial, so should I just pour some coke into a cup and leave the dial in it for a while?

has anyone tried this what sort of results am I likely to get?

here is a good thread about aging metal in general. perhaps this may be of some help

example pic attached

There are many reciepes out there. For the little you have to do, just a couple of [censored]s, now do not laugh but put the [censored]s in urine, dogs, or cats or your own. Dip them in and then let them dry. Couple of days they will tarnish etc. The acids in the urine will work to make the tarnish.

Old days they use to use horse manure.

http://www.artmetal.com/blog/lostheart/200...d_a_nice_patina

post-11218-1218209271_thumb.jpg

Edited by blade007

thanks for the advice everyone, I think I will try dipping it in coke overnight, simply because that's all I have on hand at the minute, if it works i will try and get some pictures for you all.

however if anyone else has some advice let me know!

I have used coffee to stain the lume markers and it worked well. I left rep Sub dial sitting in the remains of a coffee in the bottom of a cup for a few hours. It did give the dial an aged look. The coke ides sounds good as well. I have read of members aging Sub bezels by soaking them in bleach. Good luck and do post the results. Cheers

Nanuq is the expert on this entire topic so hopefully he will chime in.

He has given a lot of good advice to those of us who warp toward the vintage Rolex stuff.

Carl

good thing I'm too lazy and never got round to dipping the dial in the coke, however I might try the coke or urine on the case and get some dregs of coffee and let the dial sit in it for a while, but if Nanuq can shed some light that would be great aswell

thanks everyone so far