When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modified Portuguese Chrono

Guest avitt

I've had this rep for about 2 years now (originally reviewed here) but always felt that it could be improved....Not being one to leave well-enough alone, here is my latest mod effort:

img3553ts3.jpg

img3558ig0.jpg

img3562fl8.jpg

The mods include:

• Chieftang AR
  • Brushed center of case back
  • Straightened the 1's on the dial (this was bugging me)
  • Treated the "seconds at 6" components with DLC and graphite, for reduced friction

The last mod was posted here.

img3537jb2.jpg

Just have to add a Watchboys chocolate brown gator, and it'll be a keeper :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks all :)

Absolutely stunning !!

But do tell me, how did you brush the center of the caseback ??? I've been looking for some time now to do the exact same thing but couldn't figure out how to get is perfecltly round and centered.. :(

I thought about this for a while, verbal, and here's how I ended up doing it:

1. Find a coin which is the size of the center area (a US quarter is exactly the right size).
  2. Place two layers of wide blue painters' tape on a piece of wax paper.
  3. Holding the coin down in the center of the tape, carefully cut around it with an exacto knife, leaving a hole in the tape.
  4. Peel the tape off of the wax paper.
  5. Carefully place the hole in the tape over the area to be brushed. It helps to keep the straight edge of the tape aligned with the direction of the brush strokes.
  6. Use repeated, straight strokes with a sanding pad to apply the brush marks (I used a 3M medium sponge).
  7. Remove the tape, and wipe down the case back.
  8. Take your coin, and stick it down to the brushed area with double-stick tape.
  9. Holding the coin in place, polish around the outer edge of the case back with a dremel or bench polisher.
  10. You're done!

Thanks Ubi. There's just something about this watch...I think elegant is a good word to describe it.

I forgot to mention one more small mod...I added a tiny bit of K-22 to the rotor bearings, to quiet down that free-spinning rotor.

I love this one...got one for my dad but the sec at 6 problems made it not wearable...plus it has the cracked crystal so I have to send it for repair (been talking about this for a year now... <_< )...

I love the mods that you have done, plus the idea of the DLC/graphite solution is really interesting...I really hope you've managed to solve the probl with the sec at 6...

one question, before doing the DLC/graphite mod, did you experience the problems with the sec at 6 or not? (I've read some reviews from members that (still) are not having any problems and had the rep for quiet some time now....)

I've had this rep for about 2 years now (originally reviewed here) but always felt that it could be improved....Not being one to leave well-enough alone, here is my latest mod effort:

img3553ts3.jpg

IMG_3917-1.jpg

WAW, look no glass on yours and perfectly aligned hands!!! :clap:

I want that graphite treatment. Did you do it yourself or a watchsmith?

one question, before doing the DLC/graphite mod, did you experience the problems with the sec at 6 or not? (I've read some reviews from members that (still) are not having any problems and had the rep for quiet some time now....)

This one actually did not have a problem before the mod. However, it would not continue to run on the winder, so I think it did have quite a bit of drag.

WAW, look no glass on yours and perfectly aligned hands!!! :clap:

I want that graphite treatment. Did you do it yourself or a watchsmith?

Thanks :D Yes, I did the mods myself. I'm a stickler for perfectly aligned chrono hands. In fact, I've ruined more than one hand in the past with my OCD-like compulsion to get them just right :crazy:

Thanks Avitt !

it all sounds too simple to be true , I'll give it a try right away.

Great tip mate !

Thanks all :)

I thought about this for a while, verbal, and here's how I ended up doing it:

1. Find a coin which is the size of the center area (a US quarter is exactly the right size).
  2. Place two layers of wide blue painters' tape on a piece of wax paper.
  3. Holding the coin down in the center of the tape, carefully cut around it with an exacto knife, leaving a hole in the tape.
  4. Peel the tape off of the wax paper.
  5. Carefully place the hole in the tape over the area to be brushed. It helps to keep the straight edge of the tape aligned with the direction of the brush strokes.
  6. Use repeated, straight strokes with a sanding pad to apply the brush marks (I used a 3M medium sponge).
  7. Remove the tape, and wipe down the case back.
  8. Take your coin, and stick it down to the brushed area with double-stick tape.
  9. Holding the coin in place, polish around the outer edge of the case back with a dremel or bench polisher.
  10. You're done!

• 4 months later...