When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland Dial Colours - Popularity of Grey

cornerstone

MP, i'm looking at my gen slate grey right now and the rings around the subdials are definitely silver not black...Probably the crazy lighting they have in AD's that made it look a bit different

here's a few closeup pics

macro.jpg

skymacro.jpg

I was in the AD with the watch in hand, it was definitely a blackened metal, like gun metal finish, it was shiny and reflective, but not silver.

Have a look here:

Picture032-1.jpg

323e1wa6.jpg

The blue dial is not silver either.....

11img4725tw8.jpg

Only the black dial seems like it may have true silver subdial rings...

img2066ot8.jpg

img2062ya3.jpg

UB7 your pictures also do not look like silver to me, but a darker tone, more like a gunmetal finish, it will still catch the light and be reflective, but it is not silver...

Gunmetal:

colgunmetaldf7.jpg

Silver:

colsilvpearlsq4.jpg

Cheers! B)

Not black, but gunmetal, still a shiny metalic finish and reflective, but it catches the light in a different way to silver....

It is not huge difference, but it is not a bright shiny silver colour like the rep. I was looking at the watch today in hand and it was the first thing I noticed ^_^

MP you're right.. It's closer to gunmetal. They kind of change colors depending on the lighting and angle. It's a particularly cool effect that it gives. Also something I noticed is that that the half of the subdial (the non-guilloche'd half) has vertical lines on my gen, although very light and hard to see, the rep it doesn't have this texture - the non-textured half of the subdial is the same as the rest of the dial on the rep. This is not something you can notice unless your face is 1cm from the dial. I might be wrong because I haven't seen macro shots of the rep dial but it doesn't look like the reps have these vertical lines on the non-texutred halfs

Edited by UB7

One think I am shocked to not see is the fact that on the SFSO , the blue and black dial, the impression of each indice was obvious against these colors, but not visible with the white dial.

The glossy(er) black and blue dials make impressions more apparent, the dull slate color of Skyland was a safe choice for me for this reason.

Admin LegendofSpeed on RWI told me that he held the Black and Slate side by side and said that this effect was more apparent on the black dial but non existent on the slate one. I receive this second hand but believe that he has a trained eye and I can rely on this observation as fact. Maybe it is different from one watch to another.. but this was the case with the ones he was holding.

I was in the AD with the watch in hand, it was definitely a blackened metal, like gun metal finish, it was shiny and reflective, but not silver.

Have a look here:

Picture032-1.jpg

323e1wa6.jpg

The blue dial is not silver either.....

11img4725tw8.jpg

Only the black dial seems like it may have true silver subdial rings...

img2066ot8.jpg

img2062ya3.jpg

UB7 your pictures also do not look like silver to me, but a darker tone, more like a gunmetal finish, it will still catch the light and be reflective, but it is not silver...

Gunmetal:

colgunmetaldf7.jpg

Silver:

colsilvpearlsq4.jpg

Cheers! B)

I have both the gunmetal dial and the black.. and the sub rings on the genmetal dial if viewed straight on is as the dial dark grey at an angle int ehlight they morph to more silver although a darker silver than the black dial which is true silver anyway you look at it..

I really don't have the energy today for a side by side comparison pictorial .. perhaps sometime this week..

Refer to the pictorial of the gun metal dial.. it is very dark grey .. and this was taken in bright photo lighting..

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=79117

some pics from that review..

Replication..

skylandgraphite006ih0.jpg

the genuine is to the far left.. in light it will morph to light silver.. as does the replication.. well done actually with a little more sunlight on the rep it would have been as the genuine..

macrobm8.jpgsubringsfg8.jpgskylandgraphite037pc6.jpg

skylandgraphite030ay6.jpg

Thats not mine lan :D my arm is not that hairy and thats a black dial mines slate grey :p

oops well that's the pic you sent me.. whose hairy arm is that then ?? B) 'll delete the arm since it does not belong to you..

edit add.. I'll jus bump my pictorial up getting dizzy going back and fourth.,. :huh:

If you had the gen and rep in hand, you would see the difference, trust me ;)

It is hard to show through pictures, but I still chalk this up as a very slight dial inacuracy. The rep has silver subdial rings, the gen has a darker gunmetal finish on it's subdial rings, both still reflect the light and are shiny, but there is a difference for sure...

Cheers! B)

If you had the gen and rep in hand, you would see the difference, trust me ;)

It is hard to show through pictures, but I still chalk this up as a very slight dial inacuracy. The rep has silver subdial rings, the gen has a darker gunmetal finish on it's subdial rings, both still reflect the light and are shiny, but there is a difference for sure...

Cheers! B)

Well .... the subdials on my grey dial rep are definately not silver.. they are a darker shade of grey.. it may not be as matte as the genuine.. but definately not silver as the black dial subs are..

the genuine may be more of a matte finish but still appears to have 2 different reflective colours .. the rep also does this .. but MP we are talking about a "replication".. if you are searching for zero inconsistencies then you will alway's find fault.. but as far as the replication .. i believe the maker did a great job on the sub rings.. B)

I know the maker did a great job, I 100% agree. I have the grey dial version myself, on a gen breitling croc strap with gen deployent buckle ^_^

I just thought it was worth mentioning the subdial ring colour here, because there is a noticable difference, but one you will only really see if you have handled both the gen and rep first hand like I have :D

Here is another thing I have noticed, the double AR on my rep is blue and purple. One side is blue tinted and the other side reflects purple! Strange but true :p

Cheers! B)

I know the maker did a great job, I 100% agree. I have the grey dial version myself, on a gen breitling croc strap with gen deployant buckle ^_^

I just thought it was worth mentioning the sundial ring colour here, because there is a noticeable difference, but one you will only really see if you have handled both the gen and rep first hand like I have :D

Here is another thing I have noticed, the double AR on my rep is blue and purple. One side is blue tinted and the other side reflects purple! Strange but true :p

Cheers! B)

No doubt there will be subtle differences with the "Genuine" .. it's unrealistic to think that it would be identical under close scrutiny.. but I took issue with the subs being silver .. I guess it would depend on the angle and the lighting in an angle they could appear silver .. but viewing the dial straight on and to me they are grey.. but again .. not worth the debate.. it is a replication .

Yes .. I have noticed a very nice Plum colour to the AR.. actually it seems the black dial brings out the plum hue much better than the grey.. soon I will do a side by side with the black and grey dials.. right now Hawaii and Mexico are playing for the Little League Championship :D

I do love the watch, one of the best replicas I own, I am thinking of ordering the black dial version soon (may end up with blue too) ;)

Strange thing is that I did not really like this style of watch at first, and I sold my first one only to regret it later, as I found the watch grew on me more and more, kinda snuck up on me, so to speak ^_^

There may well be variations with the rep and the gen, I am only making the call regarding the subdials rings, with my grey dial rep and my local AD's grey dial gen as reference :D

Cheers! B)

after I got the black dial it is recieving more wrist time than the grey.. The black really is deep with the AR coating which is one of the better ones.. the plum hue is really great and the black tends to really define the markers and numerals.. I tried the HK gator on it but prefer the calf .. buffalo would look great also ..both with the white stiching..

Enjoy your watch MP.. !! it must look great with the genuine gator.. did you post pics ?.. I would love to see um ..

Aloha~Cheers

R