When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I start find out : is sub real or fake??

artoero

You are right, I have to study more... :wounded1:

One quick way:

Look at photos of the gen sub in varies of angles for 48 hours straight.

(well, I'm guessing in order for a doctor to be able to see what is wrong with a person's x-ray, they had to know a normal person's x-ray by heart)

There is really no crash course for this, I've been here over a year and I'm still learning.

If you need to quickly dicern is a sub is fake (for purchase) then as Pugwash said the best way is to open her up.

In general though the list is large, Mag on the date window, font on the bezel, number of clicks of the bezel, pearl, case shape, font on dial, does the M's line up, crown guards, swiss made over 5 ticks, correct bracelet and the list just goes on and on.

I suggest that you start off spending some time in the Auction Scam section, you will learn a lot in there.

Ken

Quick and dirty list:

Nr. 1 hint : Rehaut (not deep enough?)

Nr. 2 hint : Crystal (does not have a high enough lip from the bezel?)

Nr. 3 hint : Dial (not enough strong print clear letters?)

Nr. 4 hint : Crown (too big? not sharp enough?)

Nr. 5 hint : Laser etched crown @6 (visible by naked eye?)

Nr. 6 hint : Bezel edge (Sharp?)

If you answer YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES you have seen a replica and a bad one at that...

For me the quickest hint to know if somebody is wearing a rep Sub is to check the rehaut which is always visible at most angles.....never failed before...

(from 1 meter the latest "ultimate" subs do have enough rehaut to pass as gen like..) Checked it last evening with a friend who weras a gen pre93 sub and me my TTK asian latest sub.

Thank you Ken, it is true, I have to spend lots of hours research, and i think it would be easyer is I have the gen here, it easier to compare.

arthur

There is really no crash course for this, I've been here over a year and I'm still learning.

If you need to quickly dicern is a sub is fake (for purchase) then as Pugwash said the best way is to open her up.

In general though the list is large, Mag on the date window, font on the bezel, number of clicks of the bezel, pearl, case shape, font on dial, does the M's line up, crown guards, swiss made over 5 ticks, correct bracelet and the list just goes on and on.

I suggest that you start off spending some time in the Auction Scam section, you will learn a lot in there.

Ken

Thanks for teh quick list.

Is the edge crow at six not seen with naked eye on the gen?

Quick and dirty list:

Nr. 1 hint : Rehaut (not deep enough?)

Nr. 2 hint : Crystal (does not have a high enough lip from the bezel?)

Nr. 3 hint : Dial (not enough strong print clear letters?)

Nr. 4 hint : Crown (too big? not sharp enough?)

Nr. 5 hint : Laser etched crown @6 (visible by naked eye?)

Nr. 6 hint : Bezel edge (Sharp?)

If you answer YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES you have seen a replica and a bad one at that...

For me the quickest hint to know if somebody is wearing a rep Sub is to check the rehaut which is always visible at most angles.....never failed before...

(from 1 meter the latest "ultimate" subs do have enough rehaut to pass as gen like..) Checked it last evening with a friend who weras a gen pre93 sub and me my TTK asian latest sub.

The estimate is that 10 out of 11 Rolexes you see are fake. That's a good starting point. They're all fakes until proven otherwise. ;)

to make it more interesting, remember there are hundreds of variations on the genuine sub, so if your aim is to call out or at least know what your buds are wearing be careful cuz you can end up looking silly...imagine the surprise a guy could get when he thinks he knows how to spot a fake because all fakes "tick", then he gets edumacated about the "oysterquartz" and the "quartz seamaster" which is very common and well regarded, i know ive tried to check out bezel pearls, rehaut, and crown guards "on the wrist" and not had much luck, but once a guy at work showed me his new, used sub "bought cheap" and when in the hand it was obviously an Eta based rep, of course being a blue "all steel" sub was a give away!!!! also another guy at work showed me his rep yachty and he had paid over $200 for a mediocre Asian movmt model, they feel different from the nicely finised higher $$$$ ones we have here, but even that one on the wrist was OK including the date mag and that used to be a big deal.... no offense intended but the black sub, even in genuine is so played out and boring if i had one i would sell it and take the $$$$ and buy a NEW genuine XL PO (orange of course) and use the extra $$$$ to buy my wife something nice..... chil

Yeah, in the most things you have right is my opinion, but boring and played out, is on this moment the best sold genuine of rolex, so not everybody is thinking the same.

The orange PO is lovely, but my problem is that its a season watch, summer time is cool but always wearing orange....mmmmm..nice if it's my second or third watch to wear.

So you can see on my avatar I give my girlfriend what she wants.... :D

hat you find boring

to make it more interesting, remember there are hundreds of variations on the genuine sub, so if your aim is to call out or at least know what your buds are wearing be careful cuz you can end up looking silly...imagine the surprise a guy could get when he thinks he knows how to spot a fake because all fakes "tick", then he gets edumacated about the "oysterquartz" and the "quartz seamaster" which is very common and well regarded, i know ive tried to check out bezel pearls, rehaut, and crown guards "on the wrist" and not had much luck, but once a guy at work showed me his new, used sub "bought cheap" and when in the hand it was obviously an Eta based rep, of course being a blue "all steel" sub was a give away!!!! also another guy at work showed me his rep yachty and he had paid over $200 for a mediocre Asian movmt model, they feel different from the nicely finised higher $$$$ ones we have here, but even that one on the wrist was OK including the date mag and that used to be a big deal.... no offense intended but the black sub, even in genuine is so played out and boring if i had one i would sell it and take the $$$$ and buy a NEW genuine XL PO (orange of course) and use the extra $$$$ to buy my wife something nice..... chil