When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC BP 5002 Ver1

Guest hoopty

LANI and M....

you are both so right...I hate the debates about a rep being not accurate and have a tiny dot that is 0.05mm on the wrong side or the datewindow sunken too far....we are talking reps and boy, I am so impressed of the latest outcomes of watches...the Skyland, the Heritage, the C1, the Rubberclad.....I will not claim about minor flaws. and don

Hi All

We just received mine, and think it is a really great rep for the money

I adjusted the PR to show fully wound, and I can live with the date being a little low, very

impressed with the overall quality. Just my 2 cents

Best Regards

Richard

Looks great, Thanks for sharing.... cant wait to get mine now.

I am ready to get it though I am sure there might be people out there who ordered it at the fluke of the moment and might not like it, So I am holding out for some one to sell me theres with no QC issues as I have seen a person on RG get it with a messed up dial. Though If I dont get any response to my WTB soon I will be placing an order from Trusties.

Dont wait around to find out if there are QC issues because QC doesn't exist in the world of reps. 9/10 people could get a great watch and 1 can get a real bad one. Its the way reps work.

Hi All

I adjusted the PR to show fully wound, and I can live with the date being a little low, very

Best Regards

Richard

hmmmmm... you PR is on 7????

LANI and M....

you are both so right...I hate the debates about a rep being not accurate and have a tiny dot that is 0.05mm on the wrong side or the datewindow sunken too far....we are talking reps and boy, I am so impressed of the latest outcomes of watches...the Skyland, the Heritage, the C1, the Rubberclad.....I will not claim about minor flaws. and don

Hi All

Best Regards

Richard

hmmmmm... you PR is on 7????

Hmmmm...

See the bold in his post above...

Two eyes and you still can't read...

:lol:

:animal_rooster:

Sorry to offend anyone by continuing to worry about the date gap, but this business about it being unfixable has got me wondering. I'd love to see a shot of the dial side of the movement and a side view of the dial if anyone ever yanks their dial to lume or something.

Extra gears for a date @ 6? That post got me wondering so I just lifted the dial off a 2824 powered muller w/ date at 6 and there are no gears above or overlapping the DW. Same goes w/ a 7750 base movement and a handwind poljot in my movement box, both w/ dates @ 6. Of course, there very well may be gears on this movement, but I'd probably take a look before I issued a pronouncement. I agree w/ T's earlier post that the gap has to do with placing a thin movement in a 16mm thick case. Got to make the crown line up, right? If they did make the dial thicker as someone else guessed, the problem will be hard to fix, but if the dial is standard thickness and there is nothing obstructing the DW the fix would be relatively easy, IMO.

In the meantime can we go back to accepting eachother's OCD symptoms? Lord knows everyone I know who has posted in this thread is...er..a little on the picky side more than once in a while.

Sorry to offend anyone by continuing to worry about the date gap, but this business about it being unfixable has got me wondering. I'd love to see a shot of the dial side of the movement and a side view of the dial if anyone ever yanks their dial to lume or something.

Extra gears for a date @ 6? That post got me wondering so I just lifted the dial off a 2824 powered muller w/ date at 6 and there are no gears above or overlapping the DW. Same goes w/ a 7750 base movement and a handwind poljot in my movement box, both w/ dates @ 6. Of course, there very well may be gears on this movement, but I'd probably take a look before I issued a pronouncement. I agree w/ T's earlier post that the gap has to do with placing a thin movement in a 16mm thick case. Got to make the crown line up, right? If they did make the dial thinker as someone else guessed, the problem will be hard to fix, but if the dial is standard thickness and there is nothing obstructing the DW the fix would be relatively easy, IMO.

In the meantime can we go back to accepting eachother's OCD symptoms? Lord knows everyone I know who has posted in this thread is...er..a little on the picky side more than once in a while.

You make a good point..... I might be the first to dissect the watch after I receive it, and god knows when that will be.

Aside from the recessed date, which to me is not a massive issue, the biggest 'tell' I can see is the crown not having the correct embossing. I may be wrong but it doesn't have IWC on it but only that logo that looks like a fish? Can someone confirm this?

the gen 5002 version just has a simple fish on it (i haven't compared pictures of the rep crown to the genuine simple fish version, but i'm guessing it is probably pretty good), except for the rare transitional 5002 models that had the new updated movement (those have the same newer crown that is on the 5004 model).

deltatahoe

Aside from the recessed date, which to me is not a massive issue, the biggest 'tell' I can see is the crown not having the correct embossing. I may be wrong but it doesn't have IWC on it but only that logo that looks like a fish? Can someone confirm this?

Both Crowns are correct.. the "Fish" crown was the Original crown used and because of some issues it was converted to the Probus crown in later productions of the 5002.. but the Fish crown was the original..

Owners of the Genuine 5002 and 5004 comment on this switch (crowns) on IWC forums .. so you know that the knowledge and statements are factual I copied and pasted the IWC forums accounts by it's members..

See the Review > http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=81425

Edit Add: .. this is the quotes from the IWC Forum in which the crown and movement are explained

India Whiskey Charlie15-08-2007, 11:43 PM

And perhaps can give some insight. My first was an early 5002 with the fish crown purchased back in 2003 (I think!). Then, I got a 5004 last December. The 5002 movement is rated at 18k beats per hour while the 5004 movement has 21.6k beats per hour. This can help a watchmaker fine tune the 5004 a bit more for a bit more accuracy. Having said that, my experience is such that the accuracy of both is extremely similar even after both watches having been back to IWC for service and regulation. In fact, I have four 5000-based IWC's. Two 18k's and two 21.6k's and see no difference in accuracy between all four. There really is no "better" movement between the two.

Now, as to the crown difference, IWC changed the fish crown to the Probus Scafusia crown when they changed from the 18k to the 21.6k movement before releasing the 5004 models. At the same time, there was a revision made on the crown tube to prevent a damaged that occurred on the original 5002 fish crown. On some watches, the crown tube slid inside the case preventing the crown from screwing-in. When this happened, IWC replaced the fish crown with the Probus crown. As such, some 5002's with the Probus crown may very well be early 18k watches.

With my personal experience, I see no difference in the two movements. Now, had IWC gone to a 28.8k beats per hour, it may have been a different story.

There seems to be so much confusion (on my part at least) on the difference between the 5002 and 5004 movements on the BP. first could someone please explain the main differences and why one would prefer one movement over another. I understand most of it is personal but don't understand which is truly "better". Secondly, The fish crown issue! what is the deal with this? My crown has a fish or my crown doesn't have a fish. What does this mean and does it really matter. Thank you in advance, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Greg.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also should be noted that the second hand is not "smooth" due to the movement ... some IWC Forum members have commented that the 18k movement traveled much like a quartz hand... not as much with the 21.6 but still jerky.. so with the Asian 21.6k in the rep. the hand moves as would the genuine..

Both Crowns are correct.. the "Fish" crown was the Original crown used and because of some issues it was converted to the Probus crown in later productions of the 5002.. but the Fish crown was the original..

Owners of the Genuine 5002 and 5004 comment on this switch (crowns) on IWC forums .. so you know that the knowledge and statements are factual I copied and pasted the IWC forums accounts by it's members..

See the Review > http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=81425

Edit Add: .. this is the quotes from the IWC Forum in which the crown and movement are explained

India Whiskey Charlie15-08-2007, 11:43 PM

And perhaps can give some insight. My first was an early 5002 with the fish crown purchased back in 2003 (I think!). Then, I got a 5004 last December. The 5002 movement is rated at 18k beats per hour while the 5004 movement has 21.6k beats per hour. This can help a watchmaker fine tune the 5004 a bit more for a bit more accuracy. Having said that, my experience is such that the accuracy of both is extremely similar even after both watches having been back to IWC for service and regulation. In fact, I have four 5000-based IWC's. Two 18k's and two 21.6k's and see no difference in accuracy between all four. There really is no "better" movement between the two.

Now, as to the crown difference, IWC changed the fish crown to the Probus Scafusia crown when they changed from the 18k to the 21.6k movement before releasing the 5004 models. At the same time, there was a revision made on the crown tube to prevent a damaged that occurred on the original 5002 fish crown. On some watches, the crown tube slid inside the case preventing the crown from screwing-in. When this happened, IWC replaced the fish crown with the Probus crown. As such, some 5002's with the Probus crown may very well be early 18k watches.

With my personal experience, I see no difference in the two movements. Now, had IWC gone to a 28.8k beats per hour, it may have been a different story.

There seems to be so much confusion (on my part at least) on the difference between the 5002 and 5004 movements on the BP. first could someone please explain the main differences and why one would prefer one movement over another. I understand most of it is personal but don't understand which is truly "better". Secondly, The fish crown issue! what is the deal with this? My crown has a fish or my crown doesn't have a fish. What does this mean and does it really matter. Thank you in advance, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Greg.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also should be noted that the second hand is not "smooth" due to the movement ... some IWC Forum members have commented that the 18k movement traveled much like a quartz hand... not as much with the 21.6 but still jerky.. so with the Asian 21.6k in the rep. the hand moves as would the genuine..

Thanks, that was very informative.