When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Biting the bullet

kingkaiser

Alright, so I've been lurking on the forums for weeks now trying to absorb as much as possible in a short period of time (helps that I'm in between jobs, giving me insane amounts of time to further my knowledge). I own two reps, both of which can be generously described as "fantasy" watches. So now i'm going for something that comes closer to the gens. The watch I'm thinking of going for is the Ingy, primarily because the one thing wrong with it is the date dial, which no one will notice apart from an AD, a gen Ingy owner, or any member of this forum. The movement is supposed to be very good for a rep, and apparently, it has the same feel as the gen, which is important to me.

The dealer I'm thinking of getting the watch from is PreciousTime, since he and Narikaa have perfect reviews, but Narikaa doesnt have the Ingy. Also, I wanted someone in the UK, as I'm going there to visit shortly, and so can avoid customs issues.

Since I'm a newbie, I'd like to know if I'm making a good call here. I considered some other brands, but decided against, and I've given my reasons below:

Rolex: Too common, and would always lead to the "Is it fake" question

Hublot BB; AP: Love the designs, but the gens are out of my price range, so I'd feel silly wearing the rep.

Tag; Omega; Breitling: They usually dont speak to me

Panerai: I dont get it. I just dont get it...

Are there any decent reps apart from the abovementioned ones? Like a JLC or Glashutte, where the movement is considered good (whcih i hear about the Ingy), and the quality is close to the gen (again, Ingy)? I'm looking for something that one could pair with a suit (although I often wonder if the Ingy fits the bill there...). Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

KingKaiser

The Ingy is a great choice, you wont regret it, next has to be a Breitling SOSF, even if it dont speak toy you right now you will strugle to get a better watch let alown a better rep for that price.

Panerai, well one day lucifer will put his coat, after you have been here a while and you will be looking at your wrist going "Ah now i get it"

Are there any decent reps apart from the abovementioned ones? Like a JLC or Glashutte, where the movement is considered good (whcih i hear about the Ingy), and the quality is close to the gen (again, Ingy)? I'm looking for something that one could pair with a suit (although I often wonder if the Ingy fits the bill there...). Any advice / opinions would be appreciated.

Try a Patek Philippe 5107

pp510720261.jpg

Or a Jaeger leCoultre Master Reserve (at left)

Jaeger-leCoultreVacheronConstantin1.jpg

Mine is about 5 years old & came with a standard metal caseback. If you are worried about passing your rep as a gen, ask the seller to swap the clear caseback for the standard laCoultre metal caseback that looks something like this

14.jpg

yep I dont get it either....Panerais; you either love or dont care or know about them....My father collect gen pateks and other watches and when I ask him about panerais he hasnt a clue to what they are...

If you looking to get a long lasting rep dont go for any other dealer than Eurotimez as he is the only one to guarantee that you get a swiss Eta and not some [censored] asian movement....(clone eta)

I have ordered from josh, andrew and king and all turned out to be clones even though I paid for swiss...Of course I returned all of them and was promptly refunded....

goodluck

Lol. Lucifer might have to drag me kicking and screaming for a PAM...also, I'm afraid that they might be as addictive as people make them out to be, and I might be caught selling furniture to get my latest fix...

Brietling does have some interesting watches - I did look at the Blackbird (i think thats the name...) long and hard...

Freddy, I'm liking the two watches you mentioned, but the JLC is using a fantasy dial (I believe, as I've never seen those numerals on JLCs); the patek is something that is giving me food for thought though...I'm a huge fan of simplicity..

The Vacheron Constantin...love it. Absolutely love it. The only reason I'm not getting it is because I dont know enough about the movement and its reliability, and I hear that it has more fixes needed than the Ingy. I'm assuming theres a good reason that the guys here opt for the Ingy - or is it just familiarity?

Btw: I appreciate the feedback and advice from all of you. Makes a newbie's life MUCH easier...

Lol. Lucifer might have to drag me kicking and screaming for a PAM...also, I'm afraid that they might be as addictive as people make them out to be, and I might be caught selling furniture to get my latest fix...

Brietling does have some interesting watches - I did look at the Blackbird (i think thats the name...) long and hard...

Freddy, I'm liking the two watches you mentioned, but the JLC is using a fantasy dial (I believe, as I've never seen those numerals on JLCs); the patek is something that is giving me food for thought though...I'm a huge fan of simplicity..

The Vacheron Constantin...love it. Absolutely love it. The only reason I'm not getting it is because I dont know enough about the movement and its reliability, and I hear that it has more fixes needed than the Ingy. I'm assuming theres a good reason that the guys here opt for the Ingy - or is it just familiarity?

Btw: I appreciate the feedback and advice from all of you. Makes a newbie's life MUCH easier...

When I first got into reps, via Rolex and Omega, I couldn't see the appeal of PAMs either. I even bought one which did absolutely nothing for me and I got rid of it (well, the power reserve was non-existant, so I sent it back to the dealer, but requested a totally different watch as replacement) However. It was like a nagging itch, and, I bought myself another 111h. And was hooked :lol: The first time I wore a 127 (aka the Fiddy) I thought it was too big, but, it soon became my favorite watch, and, until I took mine in for a movement service, it rarely left my wrist. My new favorite is the PAM 104. Smaller than the 127, and capable of taking the SS Bracelet, so much more versatile. It also has a date window, which, although I don't like adjusting them, is a handy feature at times... I'd say PAMs are an aquired tasted, but, once aquired, they've got you :lol:

With regards the Vacheron Constantin Overseas, likewise, I love it. Or rather, I love how it looks. I bought one, and it just left me cold. I never bonded with it at all, so I gave it to a friend after about a day's wear.

Welcome to the party, I'm sure you'll have a great time :good:

Fantasy/Schmantasy. Not in this case. Here is a gen Master Reserve de Marche (my rep came with the same strap the gen is shown with, but the red Di-Modell's less formal look makes the watch more wearable with weekend wear)

3205.jpg

Fantasy/Schmantasy. Not in this case. Here is a gen Master Reserve de Marche (my rep came with the same strap the gen is shown with, but the red Di-Modell's less formal look makes the watch more wearable with weekend wear)

3205.jpg

That's a gorgeous watch, but it's the strap which has caught my eye. What material is it made from? The outside looks almost like a fabric like nylon/polyester/silk... :unsure:

Get the Ingy. I must have 15 reps so far ( in a year ) and this is my favorite by far.

True, it is on the heavy side but you can lighten it slightly if you pitch the anti-mag cover inside the watch.

I got mine from Ruby for $280 with Paypal and EMS. It took forever to get here, a month, but she QC's each watch and it got stuck at JFK for 5 days.

One negative : It's something of a scratch magnet but it's really a beautiful watch and it will provide a lot of pleasure looking at the fascinating dial.

Oh, yeah, take the bracelet links apart and go over the brushed edges with fine sandpaper and car polish.

Then it'll be super.

If you dont mind me asking, who's the dealer you go to? That seems like some pretty good attention to detail there.

I got it several years ago (in 2000 I think) from a website that closed down a year or so after I got the watch. I have seen it pop up, once or twice, on 1 of our collector's sites, but only with the black dial.