When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

After months in the making, my 8 days Angelus by VDB finally!

ek300is

Hey guys, just received my new grail. After having owned an el primero daytona 16520 with MBW case with the great help from Ubi and The Zigmeister on that project, I told myself I should finally start another ultimate rep project: the 8 days pam that I always wanted to get. I just can't afford the gen pam 190 JLC 8 days rad so I thought I should hunt for the real vintage 8 days pam project housing an angelus 240 8 days 6152.

After watching the bay for months I finally found a 4some clock with the alarm version non-sub seconds of the 240 movement. But that was only half of the job as not too many modders have attempted nor is willing to take on such project as to mounting this engine into a rep case ever since the great pam modding godfather "ENZO" has walked away from the rep scene. With the great help from Tourby (aka "T") and Cucumberjones, I was awaken up by the difficulty level of this mounting task. I was then directed to seek help from the magic hands of VDB. And what else can be said about Stephan? Nothing short of breath taking artwork. I think I should stop here and just let the pictures do the rest of the talking...enjoy guys!!!

It all started out like this:

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg

IP6N5543.jpg

IP6N5546.jpg

IP6N5551.jpg

IP6N5556.jpg

IP6N5557.jpg

IP6N5559.jpg

DSCF1696.jpg

DSCF1695.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1675.jpg

DSCF1678.jpg

DSCF1692.jpg

IMG_3074.jpg

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

You might want to get a bridge plate cut and refinished to cover the Angelus alarm part - that takes that whole excellent project a bit down - apart from that - very nice!

would be interesting to know who can do that since I have the same watch on the way to me...

in the 1st pics the caseback is engraved while in the last it isn't...did you do the swap?

enjoy your beauty!

Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions guys! Once again, thank you for your kind referral "t"! If it wasn't you who gave me the helping hand by explaining the work needed and who will be able to perform the mod, this project will not be able to finish or will sit for months.

As for the caseback, I received pics from VDB after completion of the watch but I actually prefer a plain caseback as oppose to engraved version. I think the gear void is ok to me as I think the gen 203 only has 2 gears on the back without the alarm gear void just a plain platform there. I am happy with this watch which has a 7.5 days power reserve, considering the movement is at such age already, no complain. ;)

Cheers,

William

You might want to get a bridge plate cut and refinished to cover the Angelus alarm part - that takes that whole excellent project a bit down - apart from that - very nice!

I know of at least 8 people doing this identical project, and I bet there are many more. I bet anyone willing to arrange a group buy of bridge plates (can they be that hard to make?) would find a lot of interest.

I know of at least 8 people doing this identical project, and I bet there are many more. I bet anyone willing to arrange a group buy of bridge plates (can they be that hard to make?) would find a lot of interest.

...Anyone who has the capabilities to do this to the accuracy required has my support, and a spare NOS bridge plate for reference! I think modifying the existing plate is easier (by filling in the void that has been left by the alarm gear), but the intermediate winding wheel / transfer gear for the alarm version is completely different to a non alarm. See the attached photo - the transfer gear on the alarm is pivoted to wind either the movement or the alarm depending on which way you turn the stem. Ideally, we'd create the non-alarm plates, but this would also require fabrication of the new smaller transfer gear (I've given up looking for a NOS one after 4 years!) and possibly some modifications to the keyless works below this (I can't be sure that this would be necessary though)

angelus-movements.jpg