When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So the big pilot is starting to grow on me....

jfreeman420

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand the problem with the power reserve. There have been plenty of reps with different dial configurations that have a working power reserve. This one without working power reserve doesn't bother me because if you have a true automatic 7 day movement, it should almost always be at full power of you are wearing it regularly so it won't move much. I would much rather see a good dial. The gen platinum should have "platinum" around all the details on the dial including those two circles on either side of the triangle on the top. And also get rid of those deep concentric circles on the subdial.

Pug, V1 does look right. I held the gen next to it and the owner of the gen and I couldn't find any difference. Visually it is spot on.

he was blown away and asked me to order one for him. He wants a backup when he travels for security reasons.

But no PR. :(

Have to agree with robert on this one. I too looked at the Gen and Rep side by side. The finish and look of the Rep to Gen is amazingly close and on the the wrist it is just about impossible to tell the difference. Throw on a high quality strap and you are "in"

As far as the power reserve goes pug, sure, it would be great to have a working PR, but when you consider the Gen is $10,000.00 and the Rep has the look and feel of a Gen for $150.00 - I think a working 7 day PR might be a little too much to wait for...

If the power reserve were to actually work on the watch as it is, not sure how that would add to any accuracy as if it were on the current movement, it would run down in two days or less, not seven like the Gen. Also, if by some chance the Chinese went for the whole enchilada and repped the IWC In House Movement to give the watch a true seven day reserve, I guarantee the price would go sky high..

And with a higher price I can give you another guarantee - there would be a whole bunch of people b!tching and belly aching about how the cost of tis rep was WAY OVERPRICED!

Seems to me the V1 got it right - besides, no one would ever take note of a non working PR as it is impossible to see a working PR move anyway...

Now if they could just get the AR right and use some decent lume - now we would be talk'n...

Edited by jake48

totally agreed re: the v1 5002 -- it is pretty much spot on to the genuine :o

mine is off getting a double AR treatment from chieftang; i paired it with a strapluxe strap and think it looks almost as good as my 5004 ;)

and for anyone who is curious, this is what the lume should look like on the 5002 big pilot :victory:

bigpilot5002lumeshotge5.jpg

deltatahoe

totally agreed re: the v1 5002 -- it is pretty much spot on to the genuine :o

mine is off getting a double AR treatment from chieftang; i paired it with a strapluxe strap and think it looks almost as good as my 5004 ;)

and for anyone who is curious, this is what the lume should look like on the 5002 big pilot :victory:

bigpilot5002lumeshotge5.jpg

deltatahoe

Damn! - You had to go and post that picture of Gen lume...

I ordered a Gen spec black strap from HkTan and my 5002 is scheduled for a Cheiftang Ar makeover.

I was gong to pass on the AR - but now you've got me think'n - hmmmmm....

Hmmm...interesting. I remember reading in some review that the strap looked like it was worth $100 :p

Exactly -LOOKED like it was worth $100.00. When you look at it up close you can tell with the naked eye it that it wasn't made from the skin of any dead animal...

I looks and feels synthetic.

Hmmm...interesting. I remember reading in some review that the strap looked like it was worth $100 :p

Looks can be deceiving <_< I remember a post where somebody placed the BP strap near a flame...and it melted!

I'm happy with my HK distressed (to genuine specs) .. it fits the lugs and the deployment clasp perfectly..

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0kd1.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0he2.jpg

bphkdistrressedbuffalo0mw2.jpg

BTW.. the 5004 will be released in a short time .. same maker I believe of the recent 5002.. and I myself, would rather go with a non working PR.. that is

'dial' correct than an incorrect dial configuration with working PR.. :D

Wow Lani....that sure looks nice

Thank you Samu.. listen to robertk .. he is one of the members that has reps going back for sometime now.. and Delta T knows first hand of the 5004.. ;)

I missed chiefs current run.. but he told us soon if not Now.. he will have the AR to genuine specs.. the IWC has very heavy "Hue".. so I will wait until then..

Cheers

L

I'm happy with my HK distressed (to genuine specs) .. it fits the lugs and the deployment clasp perfectly..

Lanikai - Aaron is the way to go and your watch/strap combo cinched it for me. It sure does look nice. I ordered one from Aaron last week (hope it doesn't take three months like the last strap he made me)

A couple of questions for you:

1. Does Aaron taper the thickness of the strap from where the strap attaches to the head (thicker) to the end (thinner) like the Gen, or is the strap all one thickness?

2. Have you had any issues with your AR wiping off?

I went ahead and took the AR off the top of my crystal after I polished out a little nick on the bezel and rubbed off a large area of AR by accident. Looks like I will be on the next Chief AR run too. I can't wait to put the entire package together...

I thought the strap on the Big Pilot was the best one we have seen on a rep till date. Is it still necessary to have it changed?

Cheers

The strap that comes with the BP rep is a piece of crap! It is a white plastic strap with some synthetic plastic material (faux leather) wrapped around it. Tough and Hard. And yes, it looks like a $100 strap from far away and in pictures, but in reality it is just worth replacing it with something that will last longer and feel more comfortable on the wrist.

I just ordered this strap today from strapluxe. I saw the picture posted on another site and drooooooled. Just snaked the pictures and hosted them.

bigpilotstrapluxe4copyee9.jpg

bigpilotstrapluxe5copyrv6.jpg

I'll post up some of my own pictures of this strap once I get them in the mail next week.

Lanikai - Aaron is the way to go and your watch/strap combo cinched it for me. It sure does look nice. I ordered one from Aaron last week (hope it doesn't take three months like the last strap he made me)

A couple of questions for you:

1. Does Aaron taper the thickness of the strap from where the strap attaches to the head (thicker) to the end (thinner) like the Gen, or is the strap all one thickness?

2. Have you had any issues with your AR wiping off?

I went ahead and took the AR off the top of my crystal after I polished out a little nick on the bezel and rubbed off a large area of AR by accident. Looks like I will be on the next Chief AR run too. I can't wait to put the entire package together...

Aarons Straps are built to OEM specs.. they fit perfectly with the deployment and lugs .. no need to give him measurements.. jus order as "OEM' standard .. there is one deviation, on mine.. the OEM legnth is a bit too long for me.. it fits but the hole side rides too high up off the keeper.. so Aaron shortened it a couple of mm's for me..on the hole side..

Acetone or any petrolium based solvent will strip any AR... use water and a polishing cloth.. usually jus an old undershirt will do.. do not use any polishes on the crystal.. there is no need to ..

If you decide to polish the bezel in the future use a dremel for more control.. and tape your crystal with the blue tape that is used to tape glass when painters paint around it..you can pick it up at the hardware stores..

Allright... i love the BP and i'd love to finally see a decent replicated BP. But what scares me BIG TIME is that a 'cheap asian knock-off' for $200,- is widely accepted here on RWG.

The new standard price for a watch with an asian 2824 is around $200 and a replica with an asian valjoux costs between $250 and $400 and the protest is almost zero.

I am completely amazed by what happened to this forum and the spirit, discussing the flaws of replicas and the reliability of movements and ... the prizes. It seems to me that only one opinion is dominant and accepted... and that's "buy, buy, buy" and please don't come with too many negative or critical arguments.

This BP... is a decent $100,- knock-off... but that's it. No more, no less...

Allright... i love the BP and i'd love to finally see a decent replicated BP. But what scares me BIG TIME is that a 'cheap asian knock-off' for $200,- is widely accepted here on RWG.

The new standard price for a watch with an asian 2824 is around $200 and a replica with an asian valjoux costs between $250 and $400 and the protest is almost zero.

I am completely amazed by what happened to this forum and the spirit, discussing the flaws of replicas and the reliability of movements and ... the prizes. It seems to me that only one opinion is dominant and accepted... and that's "buy, buy, buy" and please don't come with too many negative or critical arguments.

This BP... is a decent $100,- knock-off... but that's it. No more, no less...

You've got to be Kidd'n me! Do you even own the watch? A guy on this thread who owns both the Rep and the Gen posts that the Rep is visually as good as the Gen and you come on here whining. God I hope you have at least held the Rep before you condem it.

First - for $150.00 the case and deployment buckle alone are well worth the money.

Second - You talk about the past. Do I need to point out to you that the world as a whole has fallen on hard economic times and inflation is at an all time high.

$150.00? When my wife and I go out for dinner and a movie we drop $150.00. Are you living insome cave some where?

I've been at this a while and have seem the evolution from cheep canal street Reps that sold for $30.00, MBW's that sold for $450.00 to the current crop of "Super" Reps that for the most part all sell in the $250.00 to $300.00 range.

The reviews are accurate on this watch - it is well worth the coin and when I compare this watch against my Gens I am amazed at how close the quality is...,

Jake say's it well..

to add.. IMO .. you will wait a very long time for a 1:1 (of the top brands) maybe the makers put the flaws in on purpose.. (for obvious reasons)

But we have seen some awesome reps out this year.. and some that are .. so-so .. and others that are laughable

But all in all 100 usd will not get you much "anywhere" these day's ...

It's nice that the "flaming" has cooled down.. (pun intended) .. IMO we are working as a community.. and not groups with "agenda's"

it's more relaxing for me anyway.. B)

and in actuality .. I was quite happy with the price tag of the BP.. granted it's an asian movement.. but the genuine has the same beat.. it is supposed to be jerky.. the weight is great on the rep.. the engraving on the case back and deployment are first rate ... the crystal and AR are pretty darn good.. and if the only thing that is a huge issue is the D. Window and strap.. well I can gladly live with those flaws .. with Aarons pilot straps .. I believe a lot of members will be sporting this rep for a long time..

just another of my opinions..so take it for what it's worth.. I don't want to start a debate on old issues here.. :D

Yeah, I guess it is pretty much a matter of perspective. For me, when it costs $70.00 to fill my car up with gas, $20.00 for a good lunch and the nice leather strap I buy costs more than the watch, $150.00 for a Rep that most seem to agree is a good one, I have to conclude the price is reasonable.

I have to agree, though, I wish it didn't have an Asian movement. With that said, however, take some time to read one of The Zigmeister's reviews of the most recent Asian movements. Even The Zigmeister has commented that he is impressed with the increased quality from what we once saw and we have certainly come along way

Thanx for the insults Jake... good to know you've been around for a long time as well so i assume you remember how we discussed all details of every new replica back at RWCC.

Furthermore i need to inform you that in the Netherlands people don't live in caves, we are a very civilized country where we have a government taking car of people's health care, education and pension.

I am also aware of the higher prices we have to pay for every day expenses, but i guess in the USA and in the Netherlands i can find a meal in a decent restaurant plus go to the movies for $150 ... but i can also do that for $50.

But that does not change my opinion about me finding prices of replicas with asian movements too high, as i do find replicas with imho big flaws not acceptable for $150 or higher.

That's my opinion... and i would appreciate it if you told me you disagreed without insulting me.

Thanx for the insults Jake... good to know you've been around for a long time as well so i assume you remember how we discussed all details of every new replica back at RWCC.

Furthermore i need to inform you that in the Netherlands people don't live in caves, we are a very civilized country where we have a government taking car of people's health care, education and pension.

I am also aware of the higher prices we have to pay for every day expenses, but i guess in the USA and in the Netherlands i can find a meal in a decent restaurant plus go to the movies for $150 ... but i can also do that for $50.

But that does not change my opinion about me finding prices of replicas with asian movements too high, as i do find replicas with imho big flaws not acceptable for $150 or higher.

That's my opinion... and i would appreciate it if you told me you disagreed without insulting me.

Yellowmen - Do they have humor or sarcasm in the Netherlands? I got to believe they do. Since you have been around you probably know I am straight shooter and I call them like I see them. No insults, nothing personal. Some of my closest friends and I have wonderful discussions, you know, the kind where we agree to disagree. Just because we may disagree, doesn't mean it's an insult.

Do you have a point? My point is simple. $150.00 for arguably, what is one of the better Reps to come around, is not a whole lot of money when you put into perspective.

And BTW when you come on a thread where most people seem to be agreeing on something (in this case that the IWC is a good watch) and then knowingly say inflammatory things like calling the watch a "'cheap asian knock-off" or that you are "completely amazed by what happened to this forum" in reference to the peoples opinions - you better not try and hide behind the weak "please don't come with too many negative or critical arguments" when you just walked into the room and in one post, insulted a persons choice of a watch and their intelligence in making the decision to buy the watch - really dude - you've got some cajones calling me out..

I'll chalk this up to some kind of misunderstanding due to the translation from English to Dutch. Now if you have some point to make regarding the "High" cost of the watch and can figure out how to do it without insulting people by implying their choice in watches is nothing but a "cheap Asian knockoff" - be my guest. If you can't - then man up and take a little of what you are dishing out or head for the door...

Edited by jake48

I'll chalk this up to some kind of misunderstanding due to the translation from English to Dutch. Now if you have some point to make regarding the "High" cost of the watch and can figure out how to do it without insulting people by implying their choice in watches is nothing but a "cheap Asian knockoff" - be my guest. If you can't - then man up and take a little of what you are dishing out or head for the door...

Nothing wrong with my English Jake B)

But according to the old standards (at least the way i remember them) a watch could have a great case, a nice crystal, a beautiful crown that screws down smoothly... but have a poor dial print, too low datewheel and faux power reserve... thus not being superduper great, but a nice try from our asian friends. No more no less... And i do call that cheap asian knock-off... maybe that's my sense of sarcasm :p