When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So the big pilot is starting to grow on me....

jfreeman420

Nothing wrong with my English Jake B)

But according to the old standards (at least the way i remember them) a watch could have a great case, a nice crystal, a beautiful crown that screws down smoothly... but have a poor dial print, too low datewheel and faux power reserve... thus not being superduper great, but a nice try from our asian friends. No more no less... And i do call that cheap asian knock-off... maybe that's my sense of sarcasm :p

Just to add to your point YM....The Chopard uses the same movement, the Noobmariner does....all coming in at 100USD. Both are very well built watches at reasonable prices...I cant justify the price on the BP either.

I personally think the rep is amazing, but Im in the same boat as you, I am not willing to put 200USD down for a watch that comes with a $2 (speculation) movement.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest farquar
I personally think the rep is amazing, but Im in the same boat as you, I am not willing to put 200USD down for a watch that comes with a $2 (speculation) movement.

2$ movement? Isnt this the same seagull PR movement that is used in Panerai models like 90 and 222? (Arguably the most solid movement that comes out of China) Those panerai models come close to 200 bucks with sapphire glass, correct caseback and whatnot (and they still dont look right) also so I dont see the protest to the pricing here...

2$ movement? Isnt this the same seagull PR movement that is used in Panerai models like 90 and 222? (Arguably the most solid movement that comes out of China) Those panerai models come close to 200 bucks with sapphire glass, correct caseback and whatnot (and they still dont look right) also so I dont see the protest to the pricing here...

The Big Pilot they're talking about has a non-functioning PR. The movement is definitely not setting the manufacturers back much.

Guest farquar
The Big Pilot they're talking about has a non-functioning PR. The movement is definitely not setting the manufacturers back much.

Doesnt matter..I think Its still the same movement inside, working pr or not, maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in...If we start thinking that way, I dont think any movement made in China would set the manufacturers that much really:)

Edit: Looking at Josh's piccies, Im pretty sure the non PR has the exact same movement with the V2 and the pam pr models, the rotor and the bridges over the wheel...I do stand corrected though.

post-10519-1225455049_thumb.jpg

Edited by farquar

Correct... but my initial post was against all these insane pricings! Not only this IWC BP..

This could become very circular...

One party argues that the quality of the case/build quality more than makes up for the extra priceover and above watches with similar movements (eg Chopard)

One party argues that its purely marketing which has caused the price increase, the strap is rubbish and can't justify spending that much on such a watch.

One party will buy it, the other party won't.

The OP has got both sides of the argument, they can make their mind up, and what a good bunch of members we have been to inform him of the pro's and con's :)

There is one thing that I feel isn't contestable, and that is that this is a very impressive watch!

Guest farquar
One party argues that the quality of the case/build quality more than makes up for the extra priceover and above watches with similar movements (eg Chopard)

On my part, Im just trying to get the facts straight...If it has the same movement as the other seagull PR movements out there with all the upgrades, then its not really fair to compare it to the 100$ league entry level watches with the common Asian 21J. Case /build quality/Accuracy to gen however is a different argument on its own I believe...

I think this is a discussion where everyone is 'right'. [As b16a2 pointed out in its circular nature]

Yellowmen is definitely right that this is an 'Asian' watch - we used to be able to pick these up for less than $100. My first rep off the forums was $65 incidentally. And I spent an age picking it and pestering everyone about it. I also still have it, it's a 21J movement, it works and its a sweet watch.

And everyone else is right that - if people want it they'll pay for it. That's the way life goes. They're happy they're not paying $400 for an Asian 7750.....

At the end of the day, that's the price, the people that want it will buy it, and the people that don't like the price have this forum to voice their thoughts.

:D

Below is my "V1" on a custom Peter Gunny "Pilot" strap (also have my 3717 Pilot on a Gunny "Racer" for comparison)... The V1 dial/case, by all accounts, looks and feels exactly like the gen. This was confirmed by a RG member who owns the gen--and held the two up together without discerning a difference. Regardless of movement, this is one of the most impressive reps I've ever held in my hand. Anyway, here are the pics:

DSC_0064-2.jpg

DSC_0093-1.jpg

DSC_0105-1.jpg

Nothing wrong with my English Jake B)

But according to the old standards (at least the way i remember them) a watch could have a great case, a nice crystal, a beautiful crown that screws down smoothly... but have a poor dial print, too low datewheel and faux power reserve... thus not being superduper great, but a nice try from our asian friends. No more no less... And i do call that cheap asian knock-off... maybe that's my sense of sarcasm :p

Touch

Edited by jake48

We have come along way from our "Cheap Asian knockoff" days and this watch is an excellent example of how far we have come.

I guess i already tried to make my point so it's of no use to repeat it. Guess we just don't agree ;)

But i sure hope this one does not show the ultimate of "how far we have come". IMHO you can better measure how far we've come on watches like the IWC Ingenieur, Aquatimer chrono, AP ROO, several Breitlings and :oads of Panerai.

I guess i already tried to make my point so it's of no use to repeat it. Guess we just don't agree ;)

But i sure hope this one does not show the ultimate of "how far we have come". IMHO you can better measure how far we've come on watches like the IWC Ingenieur, Aquatimer chrono, AP ROO, several Breitlings and :oads of Panerai.

Lately there seems to be no end to "Ultimates"

No one on this thread claimed this watch is an "Ultimate". I certainly don't think it is one.

But getting back to the simple truth - I, as well as a few others who own the watch, think for a $150.00 Rep, it is a d@mn good one. Where we differ is that you claimed it was a "cheap asian knockoff" " - "but that's it. No more, no less"

The point being - is it worth the $150.00? I think it is and stated why. You said it is not and I am still not sure how you concluded this seeing that you base it on half truths and overinflated suppositions from people who have never even held the watch.

If you don't think a watch that has a sapphire crystal, double AR, 316 stainless, excellent clasp, good dial, excellent hands, a Genuine look & feel combined with a descent movement that keeps COSC time is worth $150.00 - then I guess you are right - we will just have to disagree...

Edited by jake48

My Digital HD Cable TV service is $150 monthly and i dont even use it. Maybe i should invest in a BP 5002 V1 instead.

:D why not ... no difficult choice i'd say ;)

@Jake... guess we disagree. But i must say i'm still hoping they bring one out with no recessed datwheel and better dial. I don't care for a working PR... i prefer to have it in the correct place on the dial, like on the V1. Case, crystal, crown and indeed the deployant clasp look very good.

:D why not ... no difficult choice i'd say ;)

@Jake... guess we disagree. But i must say i'm still hoping they bring one out with no recessed datwheel and better dial. I don't care for a working PR... i prefer to have it in the correct place on the dial, like on the V1. Case, crystal, crown and indeed the deployant clasp look very good.

Hey YM - don't fool yourself - the dial really isn't that bad and the recessed datewheel is something that a WIS may not even notice, trust me - it's really not a big deal. Also, I have to tell you, I have gone to great lengths to avoid Asian movm'nts. My 188 had to have a 7753 and I swapped the Asian 7750 on my MBW AP ROO for a Valjoux 7750. With that said, so far (cross my fingers) I am impressed with the movement in this watch. It has plenty of nice machine work and it is been averaging +2/3 sec a day for over a week now - well within COSC....

Like I said - go back and look at who is saying the dial is good and the dial is bad, My guess is the people who are saying the dial is bad have never seen the Gen in person, let alone have even held the Rep...