When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So the big pilot is starting to grow on me....

jfreeman420

The IWC Big pilot is not the type of watch I would normally wear, and previously when everyone was begging for a decent rep I asked myself why?

I do believe I am beginning to see the light. This watch is everything opposite of what I normally wear:

My watches are 40mm to 44mm and this one is 46mm

It is on a strap and all my watches are on bracelets except for a few I never wear.

It is simple and not at all blinged.

Even with all of this in mind I can still see myself wearing this watch on a regular basis. It is certainly growing on me and the price is definatley right. I like the fact that they went the extra step to make sure the weight is substantial at 144 grams.

I prefer the platinum version, but the wrong dial bothers me. Is the 1st version closer to the original? Would it be better to take v1 dial and put in ion the V2? Does anyone know if there will be a V3 with the proper "platinum" outline on the dial markers? What to do, buy now or wait?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi J

I just got mine and am really impressed with the overall quality, having once had the original.

I just adjusted the PR to read fully wound, and set the timing to +2-4 sec/day, and really I can live with the date being a little low

and the PR not working as again this does not really matter. (I would rather have it being faux that running down in 50hrs)

The leather strap is really good and does not have to be changed (This is worth at least $100.00 alone) so very happy with this

watch.

Regards

Richard

The BP does not wear like a 46 mm .. the lug width is almost the same as the 3717 so it fits nicely on the wrist with good balance .. .. the "onion" crown makes it for me !! and it is a screw down and done very well !.. the dial itself (ticks - markers and hands are spot on) I can live with the sunken DW..as it is not grossly over kill.. and the faux PR.. bothers me .. not a bit !

The V-2 does not even warrant a second look ... hands down the 5002 fo sure .. you won't be dissapointed..

Here is a review and macro pics of the genuine and the replication..

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=81425

Aloha~Cheeers

R

• 1 month later...

The V3 is being sold by Time4Direct/PWC. It apparently has excellent power reserve and an improved case back. However, to make the power reserve work, both V2 and V3 had to compromise the layout of the dial (i.e. placement of power reserve dial). Thus, for external accuracy, the V1 is still considered to be the best...

The V3 is sold by a dealer who sells on the two other sites... (again, read my post above.)

redsoxman, we understand your post, but does this dealer not have a website? most dealers that post here also have websites. again, i don't have an account there and do not feel the need to register at yet another rep site ... this is home. go phillies!

google 'trusty time' and u will find the website.

most ppl on this board are not helpful when it comes to finding the actual websites where to buy the reps.

You guys are unbelievable...

The V3 is NOT sold by Trusty Time (again, it appears people have reading comprehension issues on this board...) Trusty sells the V2 5002 (functional Power Reserve) but some issues with the dial layout and engravings...

The V3 is only sold by Time4Direct (on RWI) and Prestige Watch Company (on RepGeek)--this is the same company. They DON'T HAVE A WEBSITE. So, if you want to browse their watches/specs/prices--you need to go on the those other Forums. I didn't feel comfortable putting a link to the other forums on RWG, since this dealer is not backed by this forum.

And, as I mentioned, it has been well-documented that the V1 has the superior accuracy on the exterior; and V2/V3--has flawed dials, but functional Power Reserve (the PR indicator had to be moved a few mm's on the dial to work...)

RSM

The one thing that still bothers me about these watches is that one dial seems to be correct for the SS version and one for the white gold version, but the back says Platinum and none are correct for the platinum version, is this correct?

I like the platinum dial on the gen as well. I wish I knew if they were planning the correct platinum version. A couple years ago I would have bought this right away, but after being in the game so long I have become very picky. This is why I don't buy many watches anymore.